2 Year Check help please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 Year Check help please

I have a LO who was 2 in FEbruary and started with me in September. She had a 2year check done at a nursery she attended before coming to me and I have seen it today. Do I still need to do another one. Mind you it isn't titled 2 year check. I actually amazed at how little obs there were from this outstanding nursery

2. Likes lynnslittleuns liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would say that you don't need to do one as nursery did it. Could you maybe take a copy for child's LJ?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take a copy of it and add to LJ use it as starting points and then just carry on and do a summative assessment in a couple of months. I expect the child has already had 2 year check up with HV, so don't make work for yourself doing another one. I am disillusioned with 2 year check ups after a health visitor told a parent recently "we don't read all the writing, we just look at the ages on the bottom" !!!

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

I don't think I have ever known a policy being so shambolic such as the 2 year old Progress check...we do so much work and then end up having no one looking at this check at all!!

I cannot imagine why the DfE has not recommended some sort of 'universal approach' to this very important assessment...there is not one LA that does the same as its neighbour...and the DfE complaints that children are arriving to school with 'undetected' problems???

I hear though that there are trials out there somewhere for when the check links Education (us) and Health...not a minute too soon in my view!

Post Thanks / Like

I did my first 2 year check over 18mths ago before being able to access any training. Parents asked me to post it to health visitor and I included a covering letter. I received very positive feed back. Last week met said health visitor who explained that she is down to do training on 2 year check in a few weeks time!

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

my local health visitor says she likes my 2 yr checks ... however, they usually do the 2 yr check literally as the child turns 2, and so far, not one of my parents have had more than a few days notice! and only one thought to mention it to me! ( and then, only because apt given was during LOs time with me! )
    BUT ... talking to another HV ... they only do 2 yr checks on children that flagged up concern as a baby/lots of drs visits etc! I mentioned this to LO mum and she said oh, she thinks she only got an appt as she had rung to ask about it, and she got a letter 2 days later! ( child was actually 2 1/2 by then!! )

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    I did my first 2 year check over 18mths ago before being able to access any training. Parents asked me to post it to health visitor and I included a covering letter. I received very positive feed back. Last week met said health visitor who explained that she is down to do training on 2 year check in a few weeks time!
    That training will be very useful I am sure...I wish all LAs would do the same!!
    I did flag this up at our recent EY meeting last week and asked for some 'universal' approach to this check...many agree it is far too different from LA to LA and causes confusion.

Loocyloo...in my LA kids are checked just as they turn 2...so if something comes up later it is up to the parents to get back to the HV and get a
    2nd check...I am sure it is different in other areas

Once Health and Education get joined in this in 2015 it should be better as this is part of the govt plan...until then we just need to do our best but it can be very frustrating
    I understand this joined up system is being piloted at the moment so it will be good to get feedback because what we have at present is very difficult
    Just imagine what would happen if the children were in school at 2??

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Hv don't do a two year check here, you can request one of you are worried but they don't tell parents this so they don't all ask for one as they couldn't cope!
    The HV has lots of connections with pre schools and nurseries but none with childminders, there is still the old presumption that all children will go to pre school or nursery before attending school however parents seem to be choosing to send their children to childminders for their education more as they get more attention. (this has been happening for a while in our area regardless of whether they could access the funding or not)

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Hv don't do a two year check here, you can request one of you are worried but they don't tell parents this so they don't all ask for one as they couldn't cope!
    The HV has lots of connections with pre schools and nurseries but none with childminders, there is still the old presumption that all children will go to pre school or nursery before attending school however parents seem to be choosing to send their children to childminders for their education more as they get more attention. (this has been happening for a while in our area regardless of whether they could access the funding or not)
    Yes... with the fact that CMs can now access funding means more parents will leave their children in our care...once they go to school parents would need a cm again for pick up
    It is worth selling this to parents as part of our service.

There should be no reason why HVs connect with preschools and not CMs...that would be unfair....not just to cms but to the children in our care?
    What does your EY team think?

The number of HV is to go up in 2015 due to the govt policy and the joining of Health and Education will help this situation