Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Summative assessment

Hi all,

Have got my head in a pickle about the summative assessment. I worked in a nursery where we did an observation and next step then reviewed it and completed the cycle

Now, when I had my pre reg recently I was asked about doing a summative assessment every 6-8 weeks.

I've gotten into a pickle, is the summative assessment a more bulkier version of what I did at nursery? As in, take last 6-8 weeks observations and next steps and complete on new form saying x has learnt blah blah blah?

Anyone out there with a clear head able to inform me in simple terms? Or show me?

We never did half the stuff I read about on here at my old work so it's easy to confuse me.lol.

I understand I use starting points
    Observe
    Plan next steps
    Build individualised plan for each child
    Include into main plan if using one
    Then ....every 6-8 weeks rehash what have already done and start again?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have the right idea, just you've been given a really tight timescale! I do my summative assessments at the start of each term...
    And yes, I take all my knowledge and create a document that has a sentence about what a child can do under each heading, then a statement on what the next terms focus will be.
    Hth!!

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My individual plan per child has a long box at the end which is a summative assessment after the 8 week period. I do these at start of half terms.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Jesus, what a waste of personal time,paperwork and effort! Observations and next steps all go in the same place, why do we have to repeat what has already been documented and evidenced?! Surely it's clear to see if you read through the child's learning journey.....

Urgggh,second week in and still blooming paperwork to make up, fill in.

I worked in a nursery as a deputy supe and never had this much work, it's ridiculous cm have to be treated so different.

Hats off to you all!
    X

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a summative assessment 3 times a year - I wouldn't find doing them every 6-8 weeks very useful.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I only do a summative twice a year!

I'm currently working on making them simpler ... I like one sentence per heading!

I have 8 to do and never enough time!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do one every 6 months only

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do one every 6 months only xx

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I know children can develop at a fast pace every now and then like speech but I seriously doubt I would have an awful lot to say every 6-8 weeks. Think I may do it every 6 months. The learning journal with obs should cover more than enough info.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Little_steps View Post
    Hi all,

Have got my head in a pickle about the summative assessment. I worked in a nursery where we did an observation and next step then reviewed it and completed the cycle

Now, when I had my pre reg recently I was asked about doing a summative assessment every 6-8 weeks.

I've gotten into a pickle, is the summative assessment a more bulkier version of what I did at nursery? As in, take last 6-8 weeks observations and next steps and complete on new form saying x has learnt blah blah blah?

Anyone out there with a clear head able to inform me in simple terms? Or show me?

We never did half the stuff I read about on here at my old work so it's easy to confuse me.lol.

I understand I use starting points
    Observe
    Plan next steps
    Build individualised plan for each child
    Include into main plan if using one
    Then ....every 6-8 weeks rehash what have already done and start again?

Thanks in advance!
    There is a difference between a Summary assessment which can be done every few weeks to recap on progress
    Summative assessment is the final assessment you make on progress as is required in the Progress check at 2...a summative assessment is what you would send to a school when a child is moving to them

The 2 are often confused but the Know How Guide explains this very clearly and you can adapt it in every day practice

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp...-How-Guide.pdf

Simona Guest

The difference between formative and summative assessment can be read here...adapt it to children's progress as required

Formative vs Summative Assessment - Teaching Excellence & Educational Innovation - Carnegie Mellon University

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure there are only 2 times when summative assessments are mandatory (but I may be wrong)
    2 yr progress check and end of eyfs (done by reception teacher)

Any others you do are entirely up to you but not mandatory although it would be good practice and possibly mean the difference between a grading of good and outstanding