Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Feeling dumb but struggling woth observations

I've been childminding for 11 months and my first mindee was 7 months old when I took her on and still have her so obs are pretty easy, I have be minding a 22m old for 4 weeks, went on holiday for 2 weeks and have my first day back today so going into week 5 with her. She is very advanced for her age in almost all areas so struggling with obs, next steps because I'm unsure what to write/plan etc.

Hope this makes sense. Basically she speaks very well, can count to 10, know her animals, most colours etc so unsure how I can write these up with next steps?

Arghhhhhh lol

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Counts to 10 - next steps count to 20

Knows the animals - next steps learn about their habitats

3. Likes joanne38 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Knows colours - next steps learning how colours are made, primary colours and mixing colours

5. Likes joanne38 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you look at the Development Matters guidance for the child's age and stage you will see lots of ideas for both writing observations and suggestions for how to extend her learning.

Just because she knows her colours doesn't mean you stop there - you will build on her knowledge, do colour blending, talk about shades, learn new colours, make colour towers...

If she likes animals you might make a zoo together, read a book about zoo animals etc.

You are always doing new things with the children - just build on what they do know with what they might enjoy next

7. Likes joanne38, blue bear liked this post
    nov 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    You have just received great advice from the other posts here don't think too hard and make yourself worry I used to do that!
    just explore the options you have knowledge of further; introducing different ways of mixing the colours to create new e.g using coloured water in clear bottles or paint pallets with liquid paint and yes the child knows these colours already but seeing them mix together to create new is fascinating and fun x
    numbers go on for ever you can always keep moving the goal posts and you probably do so already and don't even realise x
    I tend to look at my observations and think of ways to make what they already know more interesting.. I had one child who was so proud when he got to 10 climbing the steps at the park that we made stepping stones in our sand pit using pebbles each time adding a few more before long he had reached 20 and was even prouder he spent ages gathering his pebbles and lining them up as he counted then looked to me for confirmation and applause children are always learning.

enjoy Jo x