Ahhhh soo confused!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ahhhh soo confused!!!

Just when I thought I had my head around all these obs and planning I read more and get more confused. What do you guys do for your EYFS links? Do you just put the area eg PD or do you put PD - Can kick a large ball?

My current obs looks like this -

Date - 15/3/13
    Age - 17 months

Observation - J enjoyed building a tower with large building blocks. He was able to build the tower 7 blocks high. J also enjoyed knocking over the tower and rebuilding it.

Next steps -

Encourage J to make a taller tower

Use other resources to build towers

EYFS links - ?????

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

EYFS links- I would put 'PD and PSED'.

That is it. Keep it simple.

Over a longer time frame I would look generally at all obs and look in more detail at age/stage as part of a progress review, but not for a single obs.
    I do not use the sub-headings under the Areas, no point I think- I know why I put 'PD and PSED', for example and could discuss that with an inspector if needed.
    I do not quote the examples in the EYFS left column, as there are not enough to cover everything a child does. Look at the child, not at DM!

dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply. I think what's confusing me so much is that fact that its across 2 poss even 3 ages ranges the little boy I have comes under 8-20m also 16-26m but us also quite advanced in his pd so covering some stuff from 22-36 do I reference the age range? Thanks again. X

dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else mind sharing how they do there's? X

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

I add the exact ref from dev matters I.e. can kick a large ball, I then mark off on the dev matters sheet that I have seen this. This way I get a picture of what obs I have seen and can easily see any areas missing from my obs. It may be that I simply haven't done an obs on that area or that we need to do some more activities relating to that area.
    For example moving and handling, as I make off obs on a child I may notice that gross motor skills are in 30-50 but fine motor may be behind at 26-36, I can then look into reasons why and know this is an area to work on.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

development Matters is not a tick list and cannot possibly contain reference to everything a child does or says - so you shouldn't spend ages looking for exact wording as you are unlikely to find it.

What you are looking for is 'best fit' links - using your skills and knowledge of child development to decide if the child is making good progress through the ages and stages.

So kicking a ball - yes it's PD - then look and see what DM suggests as the types of things the child might be doing at around the same time and that's your link.

Hth

Feb 200
    Post Thanks / Like

As Sarah says its best fit, what I said is probably misleading, the statements I add to my obs are linked as best I can to the dev matters statements so I know where the children are. I find they are worded much better in the revised EYFS than previously though

dec 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies, I think I'm going to go with statements where I can then add what I think if it doesn't fit exactly. I wish the DM was a bit more generalised would make it easier. Thanks again

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep it very simple, so:

johnny mixed two colours and made orange, he said "look I made orange" he was so proud of himself.
    Link = ead
    Next step = talk about johnny's growing interest in and use of colour as he begins to find differences between colours.

Also links to pd, c&l and psed.

You could add a quote from development matters next to the link so,

Link = ead - explores colours and how colours can be changed.

You could add age Bracket (30-50). I personally don't put age bracket on every obs as its very hard on those parents whose children are struggling to meet development targets but that's my personal choice.

10. Likes MandyW liked this post