How many Obs for a child who only comes for 13hrs a week?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many Obs for a child who only comes for 13hrs a week?

He only comes for two days and on one of those days we go to a Childminder group. He always seems to play with the same things and do the same stuff. Then by the time we get home it's lunchtime then getting ready for collecting my kids and taking him home. I'm running out of things to observe with him, especially over winter when the weather was bad. I introduce new stuff but he does not always want to do it.

So in reality for the short time I have him each week, would 3 or 4 obs a month be enough?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would do 1a week one at playgroup than next week maybe at home
    You can do obs on the way or eating lunch any wow moments or just spontaneous ones of things he does

3. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

As e doesn't like new stuff that is a observation in itself and do a nx step for the following week which will give ou a observation moment for that week also

Pre reg
    Non childminder member
    Deputy supervisor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    He only comes for two days and on one of those days we go to a Childminder group. He always seems to play with the same things and do the same stuff. Then by the time we get home it's lunchtime then getting ready for collecting my kids and taking him home. I'm running out of things to observe with him, especially over winter when the weather was bad. I introduce new stuff but he does not always want to do it.

So in reality for the short time I have him each week, would 3 or 4 obs a month be enough?

Wow! Must say, in my current place of work (day nursery) we do 1 per month! I also have 10 key children to do them for. I'm wondering if its different for cm's? Is there a guideline on how many we do? Or just our own choice?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 children who only attend one day a week - 9 hours & 7 hours, as they only come once I try to focus on them more on the days they attend than I do on the others to make sure I spot something new. One of them is new so I will be doing lots of obs as his starting points, the other child may just say something during the day that I can link to a number of headings in Development Matters.

Feb 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post

Could you ask mum to let you know if he does things at home? I add these to learning journey to aid planning for my ones that don't attend often. How old is he?

8. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I try to do 3 or 4 obs a month for my part-timers - 1 x home, 1 x inside, 1 x outside, 1 x outing.

It doesn't always work out like that, but I find it useful to have an aim

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a child 1 x day per month (10 hours) I do 1 obs per month
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

depends what you mean by an observation

If a child comes to me 2 days a week then Ill do 2 obs per week , this would be a photo of them doing something with a few sentences and maybe a next step

If you mean a long descriptive planned observation then I dont really do those but I do a complete assessment on each child every 4 months

12. Likes moggy liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jo.jo76 View Post
    Could you ask mum to let you know if he does things at home? I add these to learning journey to aid planning for my ones that don't attend often. How old is he?
    He is coming up to 33 months. I make a note in the planning of the things he does at home. His mum is very good at sharing this and I get updates via Facebook So really I suppose that I'm doing plenty.
    It's all individual and and I think now I'd rather go for 'quality' than 'quantity' and make life a bit easier.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

14. Likes Mouse liked this post