Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Starting points

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting points

So I am I the process of revising part of my paperwork to get a more in depth starting points for new baby.

I already have all abt me form but this does not cover DM.

How can I get parents feed bk abt where their 7mnth old baby is Developmental without it sounding like a test.

I really not what to scare em with EYFS DM ESP for 1st time parent.

Was thinking along the lines of ... 'Things people of have notice abt me so far' but think it needs so more cues - I have already covered likes n dislike etc

Any ideas would b gr 8 many thanks xT

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I give all my parents a copy of development matters and sit down for 5 minutes explaining how it is a guide to how children learn, how all children develop at different times hence the big overlap of ages, how children seem to master one area before another, and it is helpful to me to know what a child can do at home where they are most comfortable. I ask them to take it away and to highlight all the areas they know,their child can do comfortably. I then combine this with my 4 weeks settling in observatons to make a mini settling in report that gives the child's starting points. I then give out a new development matters every six months and ask the same of the parents.

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    I give all my parents a copy of development matters and sit down for 5 minutes explaining how it is a guide to how children learn, how all children develop at different times hence the big overlap of ages, how children seem to master one area before another, and it is helpful to me to know what a child can do at home where they are most comfortable. I ask them to take it away and to highlight all the areas they know,their child can do comfortably. I then combine this with my 4 weeks settling in observatons to make a mini settling in report that gives the child's starting points. I then give out a new development matters every six months and ask the same of the parents.
    Thanks AgentTink this would b the easiest opt just worried it may scare parents into thinking I am testing/judging their very young baby already?

New mum is also using nursery and baby is a v bright LO so I'm prob worrying too much -

XT

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tend to ask specific questions - how does he react to strangers? How does he 'talk' to you?

Those plus an initial set of observations tell me a lot about how the child's development links to DM - then when parents are settled in a bit better I talk to them about what I am doing.

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice - baby and mum been for a couple of weeks gonna have brief chat abt how LO has settled in and explain how together we can gage/plot his starting points so we can plan his next steps -

Many thanks xT

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I no longer use the development statements for parents as some parents have done just as you have said. I have also found that their understanding of the statements is not quite as it should be- like seeing something consistently or they say a child can do do something.
    An example:- Physical Dev- can climb stairs using alternate foot. 30-50mths
    Child is 15mths walked at 12mths but yes, attempts to climb stairs one foot at a time whilst leaning back. If you don't lift upwards whilst holding hands child would fall. I haven't even considered 16-26 mths - "walks upstairs holding hand of adult" yet as being able to do consistenly. So not my understanding of the statement.
    And that's just one example.
    I now ask parents to fill in I Can sheets and WOW moments .
    Carol x

Post Thanks / Like

I went through a consultation with parents of my first child and worked out what stage the little boy was at, by asking easy to answer questions that I could link to dm. From past experience parents do read the goals differently to how we do, and often say their child is further along than they are!

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I give parents the DM statements with no age headings. That way they dont know where their child is but I do when they give it back. That way I believe I get a fair accurate opinion of what the parents think without the parents knowing the age brackets.

9. Likes MessybutHappy liked this post
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belly2009 View Post
    I give parents the DM statements with no age headings. That way they dont know where their child is but I do when they give it back. That way I believe I get a fair accurate opinion of what the parents think without the parents knowing the age brackets.
    This sounds like a good idea. I always feel if a parent knows that their child is being assessed under age bracket targets, they are likely to try to say they are secure in something even if they've only just started doing that particular thing (as no parent likes to see that their child is not achieving "the norm")

Sorry....I think I was rambling there. Not sure that that made any sense

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you make perfect sense Ballette! Parents (me included) do believe their childrens skills to be better than they are on many occasions!!! One parent has told me that their child has a tooth. Not sure where 'cos I can't see it and I've been looking for two weeks now!!

12. Likes Ballette liked this post
    Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ballette View Post

This sounds like a good idea. I always feel if a parent knows that their child is being assessed under age bracket targets, they are likely to try to say they are secure in something even if they've only just started doing that particular thing (as no parent likes to see that their child is not achieving "the norm")

Sorry....I think I was rambling there. Not sure that that made any sense
    Thanks! You managed to write what i was trying to say after a hectic week!

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belly2009 View Post
    You couldn't possibly share your copy with us could you Belly please???

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ballette View Post

You couldn't possibly share your copy with us could you Belly please???
    Sure have responded to ur PM. x

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

My son was 7 weeks premature and when he was about 10 months old, I was so proud of how he was progressing... Until I read a book in the library about what a 'normal' 10 month old could do

5 years on, having read Development Matters I now know that it was a really badly written book! But, it would still make me nervous handing out DM to parents with age ranges...

I sit down with parents and ask simple questions about their child, covering the prime areas, e.g. how does your child let you know he's hungry? That should give me ideas about Communication. Asking about how a child feels being left with friends, family, nursery etc will give me an idea about PSE. Observing the child when parent first comes to meet me, signs contracts, etc will also give me an idea of PD.

It's much easier to talk about age ranges when you know the child and parent better. For example, when my lo had been at pre-school for a few weeks, I had a meeting with her key person and was told - "This is what we have seen her do (I knew that she was capable of much more). However, I'm sure she can do more, because she gives me this look that says 'I know the answer to that question, but so do you, so why should I tell you?'" Made me feel much more confident about the pre-school, knowing that they understood my child.

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol M View Post
    I now ask parents to fill in I Can sheets and WOW moments.
    Hi Carol, If it's not too cheeky to ask, could please I have a look at your I Can sheets? It sounds like what I am trying to put together, but I'm not sure if I've got the right sort of things on it. No problem if you'd rather not