Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Recent Ofsted inspection - help with Notice to Improve

Hi Folks

Gosh it's been such a long time since I've been here (in my defense, i have had a baby lol) and it's all changed!!!!

Recently had my first inspection (post reg) and I won't go into it here right now or I'll never stop, but I have a Notice to Improve

Direct quote;

"develop the system for assessing children's initial stages of development in order to plan for their next steps in learning from the start of placement by, for example, utilising information from parents"

(well excuse me for prioritising his emotional and physical wellbeing before his L&D in the whole 11 sessions I've him so far, sorry sorry a rant is building, i'll go and take a deep breath!)

The inspector verbally suggested I complete an initial assessment on my mindee to get a baseline on his current stages of L&D, which i have no issue with. But I'm unsure as to how to "utilise information from parents". I do have an 'All about me' doc in my parent pack but that deals with practical things like naps and food.

Short of handing parents a complete copy of the new development matters, or typing it all up the form of a questionnaire I'm a bit lost as to how to accomplish this.

I have to have developed a system by 17/10.

Any suggestions or examples would be very gratefully appreciated.

Vyx

xxxxxx

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

When I have the first meeting with child I start mentally making observations, which I write up an slink to eyfs, I ask parent questions about child's interest and what they can and cannot do, again these are linked. I have parents complete x like and x does not like sheet. Then lo has two settling in sessions, I take loads of photos and write up obs from them as well as writing in the diary. Verbally I ask parent where child has been previously, any concerns, general questions round development which I make notes of the answers.

I. Sure other people will have better systems.

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

At my pre reg visit the ofsted lady recommended that with bearing in mind the new eyfs and the focus on partnership with parents and being able to plan next steps from the start it would be good to include development questions in my all about me forms and have diff forms with different questions depending on ages all linked into the development matters, so in my 6-12 month all about me forms I have questions regarding care such as sleep and feeding but I also have questions like can they sit up, can they crawl, can they stand etc all the questions I can link into the development matters so I have a baseline to start from.
    This was all on the advice from ofsted, I'm yet to have my first inspection so haven't had any feed back from what I've created.

Hope that is of some help

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I print out the age range of development matters for child (maybe 2 age ranges to cover them) - ticking all I spot from first few sessions with me then ask parent to take it home and tick any they know child is steady with and mark it with a P for parent observation. These are my base obs with parental input

My new family are fine with this, but they are in education themselves and understand EYFS etc which helps.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

5. Likes blue bear, N/A, rickysmiths liked this post
    Mar 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input ladies, I really appreciate it.

I shall ruminate on this further (and check back for any more suggestions )

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vyx. I'm absolutely sure you did right to prioritise lo's physical and emotional well-being. You should actually include that as part of the initial assessment and l&d records.

I think that such a big thing is made of EYFS l&d matters that we're always in danger of seeing it as seperate to the child's 'normal' behaviour and development. Actually, it's just a framework within which to study and record everything about the child.

The trick is to do pretty much everything that offers the lo what we used to call a "childhood" (that was before all the self-important educationalists and Whitehall boffins took over). BUT be sure to present it all in terms of the EYFS, as if that were the only language Ofsted understand (which may not be too far from the truth. )

Again, with parental input, don't just take the information onboard and use it - make it blindingly obvious that you've done so. eg. If mum tells you she's started weaning a child, then make a note in their learning journal/review/whatever you use, to the effect that mum has told you this, you've discussed suitable foods to offer, will continue to share information on how it's going, get advice/tips from health visitor if necessary, blah blah.

Yup, I know it's a bit tedious. Just remember that, for Ofsted, it's not enough to be brilliant with children (which I'm absolutely sure you are), you have to demonstrate your brilliance.

8. Likes sarah707, N/A liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your 'all about me' document needs to show home learning and development as well as care.

Here are some ideas

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...g%20points.pdf

justgoodfriends Guest

I'm surprised you were given a Notice to Improve rather than an Action for this I don't complete an Initial Profile until the child has been with me at least a month, longer if they are only here 2 days a week. Like you say they need time to settle and you need time to get to know them.