Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning for a child's interests...

I am having a practice run doing observations, next steps, planning etc using my daughter (19 months) before I get any mindees.
    Now I am confident at observations, EYFS links, next steps.
    It is planning I am struggling with, for example at the moment she loves balloons and trees...what activities could I plan to support her interests at that age? I am stuck!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Next steps is the planning... so if you say the next step is to move from finger painting to trying brushes and sponges (just an example) then that is your planning. You check your resources and do it whenever suits your routine and the child.
    At 19 mths I would not do any more than that. As far as the trees and balloons are concerned, again i would do no more than what comes naturally when a little one is enjoying something- do more of it! Don't get worried about trying to make any more of it than it is.
    Themes are not really relevent until 3yo+, unless you personally find them helpful to structure your weeks. At under 3yo I focus on child-led, self selected play with some low-key activities available if the child shows an interest like messy play/play-dough, paint etc.

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you do a separate short-term planning for children under 3?
    Or JUST next steps alongside observations?...that would be a lot easier to be honest but I feel like it isn't enough...like I should be doing more?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post
    Do you do a separate short-term planning for children under 3?
    Or JUST next steps alongside observations?...that would be a lot easier to be honest but I feel like it isn't enough...like I should be doing more?
    'Should you be doing more?' ...for whom? Do you feel what you do is meeting the needs of the children, are you confident you are helping them develop and enjoy their time with you? If so you are doing just great! If you are thinking about Ofsted, then re-read the EYFS requirements, nothing there says you need to stress yourself out with paperwork- in fact the revised EYFS set out to make sure we don't feel we need to create excess paperwork and stress.

I do not do a separate short term planning, beyond the odd note as things come to mind to do the next day/week. The only reason I might is if I had a child who was not meeting the expected mile stones or who particular issues that needed closer monitoring.

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! Your wise words have helped me so much tonight.
    There is no point trying to do things that aren't really there to do (if you see what I mean). I think I am learning now that there is no specific way of doing these things but to do what feels right for you, the children and their families.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post

Thank you! Your wise words have helped me so much tonight.
    There is no point trying to do things that aren't really there to do (if you see what I mean). I think I am learning now that there is no specific way of doing these things but to do what feels right for you, the children and their families.
    That's great, I have definitely found keeping things simple and minimising works for me. And you are right- no two childminders do things alike! Glad to have helped xxx