Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Boys and girls are considered when planning activities"

I'm having a quick read through the "Using the early years evaluation schedule" and noticed under the inclusive practice section - "Inspectors should take account of the extent to which boys and girls are considered when planning activities"...
    What is meant by this? I thought that we should treat boys and girls alike, not have toys/resources/activities that are only for boys or only for girls (e.g. little Johnny can play with the dolls if he wants and Sally can kick the football around the garden). I was thinking that when planning it is best to follow the child's interests and treat each child as a "unique individual" therefore whether they are male or female shouldn't really come into it?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a lot of research about these days that shows that boys and girls learn differently, play differently etc, and we seem to be moving away from the idea that they should be treated the same.

Toys should still be available for both sexes to use, but it has been shown that boys in general need more physical play, should be encouraged more with mark making and being creative etc. It's not about footballs for boys and dolls for girls, but understanding that boys and girls do have different needs.

Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule, girls who love physical play, boys who are very creative, so individual interests & preferences should be taken into account.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As mouse says yes it's about following the individual but a big part of inclusion is helping children to learn that they can be whoever they want to be and do whatever they want to be... so boys can pretend to be nurses and girls can pretend to be firefighters.

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to post a link I have found relating to girls and boys and getting the balance right, it has helped me understand things better. http://www.eriding.net/resources/fnd...ance_flyer.pdf

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post
    Just wanted to post a link I have found relating to girls and boys and getting the balance right, it has helped me understand things better. http://www.eriding.net/resources/fnd...ance_flyer.pdf
    thats great, thank you x

may04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you