child broke car window- am i insured?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default child broke car window- am i insured?

One of my childminding children broke my electric car window. Cost me £350 to fix! Does anyone know if i can claim on MM insurance for my own car?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I don't know give them a ring tomorrow and please can you let me know what the outcome was just in case.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would hope the parents would pay if their child broke it!

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    I would hope the parents would pay if their child broke it!

That's a good one

5. Likes caz3007 liked this post
    Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha I have had one family cost me over £2500 in damage over the last 19 months and not once has the parent even said sorry let alone offered to pay for it- there answer was... "I pay you to look after my kids so its your fault" .

feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oxfordshirecm View Post
    Haha I have had one family cost me over £2500 in damage over the last 19 months and not once has the parent even said sorry let alone offered to pay for it- there answer was... "I pay you to look after my kids so its your fault" .
    That's awful!! I'd be giving notice on that one

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizduncan72 View Post

That's awful!! I'd be giving notice on that one
    After trying to change the children's behaviour, help them support them I finally did decide to give notice- that was 4 weeks ago and today is the first day without them- and it was the best decision ever it's only 8:15 but we have already eaten breakfast made a surprise jar for the school fete and practiced tying shoe laces- it's been lovely shame my bank is going to scream at the end if the month x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

In the Pacey 4 page contracts it states on page 4 (bottom left hand side of the page if I remember correctly) that if a child willfully causes damage to your property the parent has to pay for the damage. So if the child did it deliberately then the parent pays, if it was an accident then contact your insurers. You should be covered but you will have to pay any excess and if it was an accident then any costs you have can be put down in your expenses.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    In the Pacey 4 page contracts it states on page 4 (bottom left hand side of the page if I remember correctly) that if a child willfully causes damage to your property the parent has to pay for the damage. So if the child did it deliberately then the parent pays, if it was an accident then contact your insurers. You should be covered but you will have to pay any excess and if it was an accident then any costs you have can be put down in your expenses.
    Thanks Rickysmith - I'm don't use PACEY contracts and didn't know that making parents pay is something that we can enforce - I may write my own policy for this.

11. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Thanks Rickysmith - I'm don't use PACEY contracts and didn't know that making parents pay is something that we can enforce - I may write my own policy for this.
    It's in the NCMA contracts, but debatable whether it is indeed enforceable. The CM is legally responsible for any child in their care, so it might be seen as an "unreasonable clause".

sept 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I phoned M&M insurance and they said that i was only covered for damage to someone elses property - not my own. It was an accident - he didn't really mean to break the window - but just could have done without that bill right now. Haven't mentioned it to the parents as the dad has recently had an accident at work and didn't want to add to their worries. Good suggestion about thinking about a policy to cover breakages though - thanks for that.