Do any of you NOT use photos in Learning Journals?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do any of you NOT use photos in Learning Journals?

Basically, although they look fabulous and are the parents favourite bit, I resent printing out photos of mindees. I don't even print out photos of my own DD (much to the annoyance of her grandparents) because it is costly. Because we all do it it has become the norm and I fear we might be marked down if we don't. Don't mean to sound like a heartless minder - I'm always taking photos of mindees because I am so proud of their achievements throughout the day. I often email them to parents so that they too can be proud, but I'm just going through so much ink! Moan over.

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use photos.
    It looks so bland without them I think.
    I don't use printer ink to print them out though.
    I just go into Boots and print out the few that I need each week.
    Can't be costing me more than a pound a week I believe.

BuggsieMoo Guest

There is only one LJ I dont put photos in and that is because the parents refused to give permission for photos to be taken of their child so it is now a LLB (Look Listen and Note) LJ. Ofsted have seen this and together with the refusal to have photos taken are happy that there is none included within it.

For the others I either batch order photos (like the OP does in Boots) or I use my Pogo printer as other than buying paper at 70 sheets for £8 I do not buy ink for it.

I think it is just personal preference but as a parent as well I loved seeing my LO's LJ from nursery and the pics showing me their day when I was not there. Its certainly something I will treasure.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I print the children's photos out on standard paper from my printer l dont go out of my way to go to stores and get them done on proper professional paper etc costing the earth!
    I do think you need them though, more than just for parents to see, it is important in my opinion to have them as evidence to link the children's formal observations to their next steps and development matters grids. It just wouldn't be the same with a photo

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i either print them out draft onto normal printer paper, or i bulk buy photos on truprint and then get each photo quite cheaply when i order them.

i use my pogo too, but not so much at the moment, as i seem to be printing loads everyweek! ( i am just finding this current batch of children so amazing! and they are ALL always doing something new !!! ) where do you find your pogo paper at £8 for 70 sheets??? it cost me a fortune last time.

i like photos in the LJ, i usually write what else was going on with it, but i think it says what i am trying to say, so much more clearly than i can in words!

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I print my photos off and file them in my album. I have years of photographic evidence here and at my last inspection (Jan 09) the inspector spent quite alot of time looking through them. She said it was fantastic evidence. I have continued to do this and parents can request copies.It's a shame not all parents look at the pics !
    I have just decided to produce a powerpoint of pics that will link to the LJ's I do. I do not want to print off more pics to put in the LJ's! I use enough ink!
    Carol xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I sent off a batch at a time for online printing and never resent the expense as I feel it is a professional way of presenting evidence that will hopefully be treasured... and even if it isn't I know I have done my best.

It is also a legitimate business expense

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use standard paper and my photo printing options gives me the option to do 9 wallet prints to a page, if I select quick print as well it is really economical and the prints are fine for diaries and journals

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I print 12 photos to a A4 page (I use googles picasa 3), and find I only do 1-2 pages per month for all my mindees.

Seems quite economical to me, but I do know that the nursery prints even smaller photo's - almost a thumbnail / computer icon sized one, so they must easily get about 60 per page.

Edited to say that I give the parents digital copies of the photo's so they are able to print professional looking photo's if they are a particularly good shot.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sonia ann View Post
    I use standard paper and my photo printing options gives me the option to do 9 wallet prints to a page, if I select quick print as well it is really economical and the prints are fine for diaries and journals
    Same here so much cheaper and stays behind the display pocket so it matters not! x

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same - wallet size on normal paper. I don't use scrapbooks though, my learning journeys are the 40 page display folders with the clear plastic sleeves and I stick the photo's on to coloured card (different colours throughout to brighten it up) and then put them back to back in the sleeves. The sleeves make them a bit shiny as if they were glossy photo's and they're also protected.

My dw told me to use plenty of photo's because anyone can write down that a child has done something etc but a photo is evidence and Ofsted like to see that.
    Cazz x

Mar 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the 9 prints on standard paper too. I don't know about quick print though. Where do you select it?

xx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I sent off a batch at a time for online printing and never resent the expense as I feel it is a professional way of presenting evidence that will hopefully be treasured... and even if it isn't I know I have done my best.

It is also a legitimate business expense
    I am the same as Sarah. I have always given my parents photographs. They pay me a decent fee to care for their children and I have never minded having photos printed.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine LJ's are at least 50% photos. The children love looking through them and talking about them, it helps them reflect on their own lives and learning and its lovely to listen to them remembering things we have done together. I print 4 per month on a sheet of A4 photo paper per child and don't find it particularly expensive, its just one of the costs of providing a service - same as food, etc.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I print out small photos for the LJ's. I always take way too many photos anyway. So at the end of each term I share the relevant photos with each family through Google. They each have their own account and I just upload a new album each time
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, you've all talked me out of being a stingey old moo and I've just printed off tons of pictures - but I ran out of ink before I had finished. GRRRR.

Post Thanks / Like

I print out photos at home on ordinary paper - smallish so 10 or 12 to an A4 sheet. Parents love to see them in the lj and they break up the writing!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I print out photos at home on ordinary paper - smallish so 10 or 12 to an A4 sheet. Parents love to see them in the lj and they break up the writing!

Miffy xx
    they do break up the writing , and also cut down on the writing by at least half - whats the saying? Something about a picture saving a thousand words - its certainly true for my ljs.

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keeks View Post
    I do the 9 prints on standard paper too. I don't know about quick print though. Where do you select it?

xx
    probably depends on your printer but on ours select file; select print;window comes up for printer; select properties; select printing preferences

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast