Learning journey photos
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning journey photos

I have a paper based system for my learning journeys. Obviously I want to include photos in my LJ's and so originally was going to get my photos printed but it costs quite a bit per photo. I don't have a proper colour or photo printer unfortunately. I realised though I am able to print photos in black and white. Do you think black and white photos like this would look bad in a LJ? It shows the child clearly but obviously of its a picture of them painting or something you can't make out what colours they are using but does this really matter? Just wondered how it would go down with ofsted?
    Sorry if this sounds a bit trivial but weighing on my mind as i get to grips with my Learning journeys and paperwork! :-)

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I have a paper based system for my learning journeys. Obviously I want to include photos in my LJ's and so originally was going to get my photos printed but it costs quite a bit per photo. I don't have a proper colour or photo printer unfortunately. I realised though I am able to print photos in black and white. Do you think black and white photos like this would look bad in a LJ? It shows the child clearly but obviously of its a picture of them painting or something you can't make out what colours they are using but does this really matter? Just wondered how it would go down with ofsted?
    Sorry if this sounds a bit trivial but weighing on my mind as i get to grips with my Learning journeys and paperwork! :-)
    I also use to print my photos off, at cosco and it can be quite expensive. This was when I done everything by hand. I think it's important to show evidence of the learning activity so I wouldn't think black and white would matter. I use to photograph 'everything' and get them printed in batches. I now use WhatsApp and send daily photos to parents. This has cut down printing considerably. I also photograph most of these occasions on my childminding camera. I don't print any of these off but put the memory card into one of those digital photo frames and this is my evidence to show Ofsted. The inspector liked it at my last inspection. It's a great talking point for the minded children. However if she were to say do you have evidence of xxxx she might have to wait 10 minutes for it to come up on the digital frame if I can't find evidence of it in my planning. But I'll worry about that on inspection day!
    I also print photos attached to observations through my learning app. This is on my home printer. The photos are quite grainy bit it's for the child's learning log and the parent's will be able to print them off at their 'end' if they choose too. Depends on how often the child attends but at the moment a child who attends a 4 day week gets approx 3 observations & photos a month. But each month is different.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I've known some nurseries to print off black and white photos for LJs and as far as I know Ofsted didn't have an issue with it.

I get mine printed and pay £4 delivery to get 45 free photos. I do maybe 2-3 obs each a week on the kids at the moment, sometimes they have photos and sometimes they don't. What I'm struggling with is getting the photos printed and in the files! I've got the obs written up, but it's next to a blank page for the photo evidence and it makes me feel like I'm slacking! :S I actually think that it would be more expensive for me to pay for printer ink to print all of the photos.

I do send pictures on whatsapp to parents most days, but not all are linked to obs and vice versa, just things I think the parent would like to know.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I now use my phone instead of the camera, but after that i still do it the same.
    I plug the phone into the computer to bring up the photos and then whittle down the photos as I oftan take several of the same observation.
    Once chosen I set the printer to print 9 pictures to the A4 paper. I don't use photo paper just normal A4 from Wilko's. I also use the much cheaper compatible inks that are available online or from the market. Then pop the date on the back, ready for the learning journal.
    I would think black and white photo's would be fine, it's the observation you are capturing not so much a beautiful picture if you see what I mean.
    I think my photos are therfore are quite cheap to produce. I have them all saved and will put on a memory stick for parents and they can choose to print off if they choose.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    I now use my phone instead of the camera, but after that i still do it the same.
    I plug the phone into the computer to bring up the photos and then whittle down the photos as I oftan take several of the same observation.
    Once chosen I set the printer to print 9 pictures to the A4 paper. I don't use photo paper just normal A4 from Wilko's. I also use the much cheaper compatible inks that are available online or from the market. Then pop the date on the back, ready for the learning journal.
    I would think black and white photo's would be fine, it's the observation you are capturing not so much a beautiful picture if you see what I mean.
    I think my photos are therfore are quite cheap to produce. I have them all saved and will put on a memory stick for parents and they can choose to print off if they choose.
    That's how I used to do all my photos, but now I do obs on 2simple so only print a few photos.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Loocyloo, do you find that much quicker then? I would like to get onto an online system at some point. I spend so much time on my learning journals, I could do with altering something somewhere!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do them all on my phone or tablet and can edit easily on pc. Rather than waiting till I've printed off the photos and then having a bulk to do each time, I can quickly do them as i go along.
    I print them off once a month to file in LJs but you could easily just keep them online.
    Last edited by loocyloo; 08-11-2015 at 09:45 PM.

8. Likes Tulip liked this post
    SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    Thats how i do mine. Works for me!

10. Likes Tulip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use free prints to get 45 free prints per month. Postage is typically £3 per month. I personally like having prints but know u could do my LJs much cheaper but for the time being I'm happy :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your responses everyone that's really helped :-) x

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I use pic collage app and put 4 photos on a page(so passport sized) then upload to free prints, get 45 full size prints a month free (that's 4 passport sized photos x45 a month) fab size for lj's.

I think black and white photos will look good in the Lj.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a really interesting idea blue bear! You get 4 times for the amount for the same price, just smaller. I'll be pondering on that idea, thanks!

Edit: Also, then I wouldn't have to spend ages deciding which picture to include. I tend to get snap happy when observing.

15. Likes blue bear liked this post