How do you organise Observations in Learning Journals?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you organise Observations in Learning Journals?

Do you place them in chronologically or do you subcategorise them under the different areas of learning and development?

Currently I've done it chronologically, but I was wondering if an argument could be made for sorting them by area.

Any thoughts?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I always used to organise them by area and loved it. It was easy for me to see at a glance which areas were low on observations and I could plan accordingly. Then I got a baby who was a few months old and I found that each simple observation was covering two, three or more areas at once, as was each activity/experience I planned and so I started doing them in chronological order and writing which areas they covered in a column next to the ob. I enjoyed it but for some reason I found the spontaneity was missing - I liked the post-it note method where I could jot down observations wherever I was - indoors, outdoors, away from home etc. I was doing the chronological order one on the computer so that I could slot in any that I had missed out and remembered at a later date, iyswim. When I got a new pre-schooler I went back to the post-it note method for him but kept the chronological order one for the baby (who is now 4).

I currently have both systems in place in my setting and there are advantages and disadvantages of both. When I use the 'area' method, I do arrange the post it notes in chronological order, but as I said, if I remember one at a later date I can rearrange them and slot it in.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good point, I didn't think about how Observations sometimes cover a variety of areas. (And I love it when they do!) I suppose It's good when an activity can cover many things and I wouldn't want to limit myself when trying to assign it into a category. I do like the idea of being able to see at a glance which area needs more work. Though I do have an Observation tracking matrix for that, I suppose. Hmm.

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The advantage of online LJ systems is you can switch to see obs either by Area/Aspect or by date. You can also see all children's obs (numbers of obs) by Area (or CoEL) so you can see if there is an area your setting is low in.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend using Tapestry online learning journal. It's very easy to use and parents love it!