starting point for a child
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default starting point for a child

hi was wondering what paper work people use for the child's starting points when they first start. I have an all about me but have been told its not enough. thanks in advance
    Last edited by lisa27; 29-10-2014 at 06:28 PM.

toddlers896 Guest

I just use an all about me sheet too. Who told you it's not enough x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lisa27 View Post
    hi was wondering what paper work people use for the child's starting points when they first start. I have an all about me but have been told its not enough. thanks in advance
    The child's LJ must start with the things he can do...so that is a way you could put them down in his LJ

Look at his age and stage of development in the DM as a guidance...add the 3 Prime areas...if the child is under 3 and observe for a couple of weeks
    Some observe for longer but totally up to you as it will depend on how many days the child attends
    Personally I have never used an All about me form...starting points is just another word for it and All about me is favoured by many LAs

you could include his starting skills in his LJ then plan next steps and see progress at a glance

Let us know how you get on whatever you choose to do

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    The child's LJ must start with the things he can do...so that is a way you could put them down in his LJ

Look at his age and stage of development in the DM as a guidance...add the 3 Prime areas...if the child is under 3 and observe for a couple of weeks
    Some observe for longer but totally up to you as it will depend on how many days the child attends
    Personally I have never used an All about me form...starting points is just another word for it and All about me is favoured by many LAs

you could include his starting skills in his LJ then plan next steps and see progress at a glance

Let us know how you get on whatever you choose to do
    Ime not contradicting you Simona but where in the framework does it say the LJ must start with the things he can do? In fact where does it state we have to do a LJ?
    The learning journal that I have chosen to do does not start with this and it wasn't questioned.

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use the EYO development sheet for the age range of child as my starting points.
    I give a copy to parents for them to mark off things they know child can do, then I highlight it when I've seen the child do it too, observing and highlighting during the 'settling in' period anything parents may have missed.
    At the end of the settling in period I mark all highlights onto a tracker so I can see what areas I need to focus on, then update this every 3 or 4 months

Works for me

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toddlers896 View Post
    Ime not contradicting you Simona but where in the framework does it say the LJ must start with the things he can do? In fact where does it state we have to do a LJ?
    The learning journal that I have chosen to do does not start with this and it wasn't questioned.
    Good question...in the EYFS starting points is not mentioned
    the aim of the starting points is to observe and assess what a child 'Can do'....then this enable us to support any next steps we and the parents decide to plan which means we can 'record progress' from that stage...that is in EYFS p 13 2.1 and 2.2...no mention of LJ just that paperwork should be 'limited'

Many people use DM to help them others use EYO...but EYO is for Outcomes...the end product.... which is for inspectors to judge the children have achieved and for us to evidence how we got them there...from their starting points

LJ....there is no requirement to do a LJ at all...never mentioned in EYFS or anywhere else...remember Truss saying that?
    all you need is to do a 'short good quality summary'...this is what Ofsted look for and you will find it in the Conducting EY inspection factsheet just updated (page 11)

I am not sure who you is advising you or which type of LJ you use but starting points is a kind of 'must' while LJ...or whatever you wish to call it...is not a must....choose whatever format you prefer and call it what you like

Ask the person who is advising you if she/he has read EYFS and all the Ofsted updates...these will clarify the situation for that person or whoever has given the LJ you are doing

Let us know the outcome
    Last edited by Simona; 30-10-2014 at 09:22 AM.