Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Are you doing too much..?

I was quite shocked to read a recent thread on the Independent Childminders Facebook page discussing how many observations members write for each of the ‘typical behaviour’ statements in Early Years Outcomes.

Some colleagues were saying that they had been told by LA advisors to write 2 or even 3 separate observations for each of the Early Years Outcomes statements!

This question – and the answers I read - is wrong on so many levels…
    • Early Years Outcomes is not and was never meant to be used as a tick list;
    • We do not need to record an observation for every Early Years Outcomes statement to prove that a child is making progress;
    • Children do hundreds of things that are not listed in Early Years Outcomes – are some colleagues so focused on the ‘typical behaviour’ statements that these are being forgotten?
    • We are professionals and can use our judgement about what children can and cannot do – we do not need everything written down;
    • How much time are childminders wasting looking for 3 observations for a set of random statements that were never meant to be a child development list?
    • How much time and energy are childminders wasting writing unnecessary information in files that serves no useful purpose and will never be read?

Let me give you some of the history behind this … when teachers are writing a child’s profile document at the end of reception year, they are expected to note 3 observations to show that the child has attained the Early Learning Goals (ELGs). At no point was this an expectation for childminders using Early Years Outcomes…

Let’s just remember for a moment that teachers are paid significantly more per hour than childminders… they get PPA time to complete paperwork (time away from children)... they have long holidays during which they can complete children’s files… they have classroom assistants to help them note observations… they have significantly more training than most childminders - no offence intended to childminders who used to be teachers but you know what I mean!

Observations must be meaningful – they should reflect the child’s learning story – they should tell you and parents and passing Ofsted inspectors what the child is doing and saying and how well the child is progressing. In some cases, observations are used to flag up concerns about a child’s learning and development that might need addressing either by planning activities to support future learning or through a referral to other agencies or professionals. At NO point did anyone in Ofsted or DfE say that observations should be repetitive, over complicated, focused solely on Early Years Outcomes or a paperwork burden!

The whole point of DfE giving us Early Years Outcomes in Nov 2013 was to cut down on paperwork … yet some childminders are clearly still doing more documentation than is necessary which is taking their time away from the children and their own families. Is this a contributing factor to the loss of childminders at the moment? I am sure it is … and it doesn’t need to be because it is not and has never been a requirement of the EYFS or an Ofsted expectation to write 3 observations for every EYO ‘typical behaviour’ statement.

So… to try and answer the ‘how many observations do I have to do?’ question…
    An observation must be meaningful – it must mean something to the child’s parents and to you, as the child’s early education provider. It should talk about the child and focus on them and should tell you about the child’s interests and learning styles – about what the child can and cannot do – about what the child is saying – about what the child might need to learn next.

How many observations = ‘enough’ is a tricky question because we all work differently. I do about 6 a month –
    • 1 x short observation inside the house
    • 1 x short observation outside in the garden
    • 1 x short observation from the child’s family
    • 1 x short observation on an outing
    • 1 x longer observation to focus on an area of provision or something I am worried about or something I feel I might have missed
    • 1 x longer observation linked to a planned activity.
    Note - if children attend another setting I try and get an observation every month or so from there as well.

Some observations have photos attached to them and some don’t … I am not photo mad. I don’t get hung up about doing 6 observations a month either – some months it doesn’t happen because we are busy doing something else and some months I might do a few more.

When I assess observations against Early Years Outcomes I don’t try and find exact wording or spend hours looking for direct links to the wording in Early Years Outcomes. I simply look for a ‘best fit’ link – I use my professional judgement and knowledge about the child and child development to say, ‘yes the child is making good progress’ and then, if relevant, think about what we are going to work on next.

I don’t have a ‘next step’ plan for every observation either! That is not expected, needed or necessary – in fact, I would say it’s totally unnecessary. Some observations are stand alone, saying how well the child is doing with something… others are to say that the child has achieved… and for other observations a simple ‘carry on doing the same thing’ is all that is needed.

We need to knock some of these myths on their heads ... no wonder we are losing good childminders if they are doing silly amounts of paperwork!! xx

Edited to include links to the rest of this series of blogs -

Blog 2 - Are you doing too much?
    Are you doing too much..?

Blog 3 - part 1 - Are you doing too much?
    Are you doing too much? Blog 3 - part 1

Blog 3 - part 2 - Are you doing too much?
    Are you doing too much? Blog 3 - part 2

Hth
    Last edited by sarah707; 16-01-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you thank you Sarah the voice of common sense x

3. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you - I am hereby giving myself permission to on some days only put photographs in the children's on-line journals, as at the moment if I take a photo I feel obliged to write a paragraph to explain what was being said or done whereas sometimes a child is just playing with friends. And I am starting from today!

5. Likes sarah707, N/A, loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thank you too Sarah.

Some weeks/months I hardly do any obs and then another I do several for one child in one day as they make that jump forward!

I only plan to do an ob if I have an area of concern or something I want to check out. Most of the time mine are just 'as they happen' and it gets scribbled down on post it note/sticker/scrap of paper and stuck in LJ !

7. Likes sarah707, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been asked to clarify what I mean by finding ‘best fit’ links in EYO rather than linking observations to exact statements.

What I mean is that children do thousands of things that are not in EYO ... cms spend too long wasting their time hunting for a matching statement when it's probably not there. As long as you know it's, for example -

PSED - making relationships - about right for the child's age and needs consolidating;

PD - handling - wow the child is forging ahead and needs some new challenges;

C&L - speaking - oh dear there's a problem EYO suggests a child of his age should be putting 2 words together but he isn't talking yet ...

That's what EYO is about ... not ticking boxes or coming up with numerous observations to prove to nobody (because nobody will read them) that the child has achieved an outcome.

I hope that clarifies x

9. Likes green puppy, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this Sarah, at my recent inspection this certainly came across from the inspector I had, and gave me confidence in what I was doing . Like a couple of others have said I do not have a set number of obs each month, just follow child's lead, sometimes I have 6/7 and other months 1/2.

11. Likes loocyloo, Ripeberry, Maza liked this post
    Simona Guest

This thread has totally amazed me
    It is unfair in a way to have to go by what a cm on Facebook has said without knowing the actual comments and replies there

Also this forum promotes EYO all the time but no one in the sector has suggested we use EYO only ...Development Matters is still used and much more effective than EYO which is a tick list

EYO were introduced for inspectors to judge us but it has been said over and over again we are free to use one...the other or both...some cms do not use either of them

We have different experience and training behind us for formative assessment but I am surprised to hear some do a few obs a month...while others do so many
    I do agree that obs must be meaningful...photos too can be very important but we differ in how we use them
    The EYFS says 'ongoing formative assessment is an integral part of the learning'...what is ongoing?
    only we can interpret that.

We are not losing cms because of paperwork...many other reasons behind it I am afraid...some reasons behind it are too much prescriptive practice...too many unnecessary procedures and policies that are not required in the least but written 'just in case'...too much change and constant devaluing of cms by the powers that be....in addition to anyone now being able to call themselves cms or care for children with no registration

I have always understood that before you tick an outcome you have to observe that goal a few times...the reason why so many children are failed is because an observation leads to the wrong assumption and the other way round too...you see a child doing something and is ticked as achieved

We are all different and do things differently...some do a few obs a month some more...I personally observe children all the time but it does not mean I record all of them and I know many cms who do the same and I intend to continue with that as I am happy doing so

Cms do not step away from children to do obs or LJs.....it would be impossible...bad practice relally..even preschools now have time off for documentation...for us as self employed we have to do them in our time

What we need to remember is that we are documenting a child's learning and making that learning 'visible' as per Reggio philosophy not just sticking a few notes or photos in their LJs.
    Those who do too much paperwork or are bogged down need to tweak practice and make things easier...I have seen huge LJs that cms do not understand but done because the LAs say so

Independence also means respecting that we are individuals and differ in approach...my view of course
    Last edited by Simona; 24-09-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the point that I am also constantly observing but do not feel that I need to document everything, I will often observe a child do something several times before I document as a written observation. The inspector I had said they do not use Development Matters anymore but personally I like it and use in conjunction with EYO.

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    toddlers896 Guest

well said Sarah. I hope people take note of your post. It really does make me cringe when I read the amount of work that people put into observations when it is not necessary and when they are using the outcomes as tick lists instead of a guide only. I did it too when I first started three years ago as nobody tells you what you have to do
    Now ive seen the light and try to do the bear minimum. Lets hope others do too, it will be a massive weight off their shoulders.

Simona Guest

You are right Natiou82...inspectors do not use DM but we can if we choose to do so

If anyone contacts Ofsted...as I have to clarify this and it was not just the helpline I emailed...the reply was we can use what we like...neither are statutory
    EYO is not mentioned once in the Evaluation schedule...unless I have missed it...neither is mentioned in 'Conducting EY inspections'
    The word 'well being' appears a lot...in line with future changes

As for observations I am unsure how an activity can be set up and come out with one observation?
    If anyone uses EYO as a tick list...because that is what the DfE intends it to be to monitor progress...then it is wrong in my view

You are right too Toddlers 896...we are just handed legislation and ...as you say...no one train us how to use it and yet we are talking about children's learning...the foundation of their disposition to succeed or fail

It is obvious that in this forum only one view matters...I don't see it that way...we all have a right to express our views ... and differ in opinion at times.... do things our way without prescription but guidance...this is a forum for open discussion not veiled criticism

Sarah...you say next steps are not required...isn't development and progress evidence children are moving to the next step in their learning?
    Maybe I understand child development wrong....better go and re read all those famous books...retrain and start again

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I was quite shocked to read a recent thread on the Independent Childminders Facebook page discussing how many observations members write for each of the ‘typical behaviour’ statements in Early Years Outcomes.

Some colleagues were saying that they had been told by LA advisors to write 2 or even 3 separate observations for each of the Early Years Outcomes statements!

This question – and the answers I read - is wrong on so many levels…
    • Early Years Outcomes is not and was never meant to be used as a tick list;
    • We do not need to record an observation for every Early Years Outcomes statement to prove that a child is making progress;
    • Children do hundreds of things that are not listed in Early Years Outcomes – are some colleagues so focused on the ‘typical behaviour’ statements that these are being forgotten?
    • We are professionals and can use our judgement about what children can and cannot do – we do not need everything written down;
    • How much time are childminders wasting looking for 3 observations for a set of random statements that were never meant to be a child development list?
    • How much time and energy are childminders wasting writing unnecessary information in files that serves no useful purpose and will never be read?

Let me give you some of the history behind this … when teachers are writing a child’s profile document at the end of reception year, they are expected to note 3 observations to show that the child has attained the Early Learning Goals (ELGs). At no point was this an expectation for childminders using Early Years Outcomes…

Let’s just remember for a moment that teachers are paid significantly more per hour than childminders… they get PPA time to complete paperwork (time away from children)... they have long holidays during which they can complete children’s files… they have classroom assistants to help them note observations… they have significantly more training than most childminders - no offence intended to childminders who used to be teachers but you know what I mean!

Observations must be meaningful – they should reflect the child’s learning story – they should tell you and parents and passing Ofsted inspectors what the child is doing and saying and how well the child is progressing. In some cases, observations are used to flag up concerns about a child’s learning and development that might need addressing either by planning activities to support future learning or through a referral to other agencies or professionals. At NO point did anyone in Ofsted or DfE say that observations should be repetitive, over complicated, focused solely on Early Years Outcomes or a paperwork burden!

The whole point of DfE giving us Early Years Outcomes in Nov 2013 was to cut down on paperwork … yet some childminders are clearly still doing more documentation than is necessary which is taking their time away from the children and their own families. Is this a contributing factor to the loss of childminders at the moment? I am sure it is … and it doesn’t need to be because it is not and has never been a requirement of the EYFS or an Ofsted expectation to write 3 observations for every EYO ‘typical behaviour’ statement.

So… to try and answer the ‘how many observations do I have to do?’ question…
    An observation must be meaningful – it must mean something to the child’s parents and to you, as the child’s early education provider. It should talk about the child and focus on them and should tell you about the child’s interests and learning styles – about what the child can and cannot do – about what the child is saying – about what the child might need to learn next.

How many observations = ‘enough’ is a tricky question because we all work differently. I do about 6 a month –
    • 1 x short observation inside the house
    • 1 x short observation outside in the garden
    • 1 x short observation from the child’s family
    • 1 x short observation on an outing
    • 1 x longer observation to focus on an area of provision or something I am worried about or something I feel I might have missed
    • 1 x longer observation linked to a planned activity.
    Note - if children attend another setting I try and get an observation every month or so from there as well.

Some observations have photos attached to them and some don’t … I am not photo mad. I don’t get hung up about doing 6 observations a month either – some months it doesn’t happen because we are busy doing something else and some months I might do a few more.

When I assess observations against Early Years Outcomes I don’t try and find exact wording or spend hours looking for direct links to the wording in Early Years Outcomes. I simply look for a ‘best fit’ link – I use my professional judgement and knowledge about the child and child development to say, ‘yes the child is making good progress’ and then, if relevant, think about what we are going to work on next.

I don’t have a ‘next step’ plan for every observation either! That is not expected, needed or necessary – in fact, I would say it’s totally unnecessary. Some observations are stand alone, saying how well the child is doing with something… others are to say that the child has achieved… and for other observations a simple ‘carry on doing the same thing’ is all that is needed.

We need to knock some of these myths on their heads ... no wonder we are losing good childminders if they are doing silly amounts of paperwork!! xx
    Thanks Sarah. As always the voice of reason.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    You are right Natiou82...inspectors do not use DM but we can if we choose to do so

If anyone contacts Ofsted...as I have to clarify this and it was not just the helpline I emailed...the reply was we can use what we like...neither are statutory
    EYO is not mentioned once in the Evaluation schedule...unless I have missed it...neither is mentioned in 'Conducting EY inspections'
    The word 'well being' appears a lot...in line with future changes

As for observations I am unsure how an activity can be set up and come out with one observation?
    If anyone uses EYO as a tick list...because that is what the DfE intends it to be to monitor progress...then it is wrong in my view

You are right too Toddlers 896...we are just handed legislation and ...as you say...no one train us how to use it and yet we are talking about children's learning...the foundation of their disposition to succeed or fail

It is obvious that in this forum only one view matters...I don't see it that way...we all have a right to express our views ... and differ in opinion at times.... do things our way without prescription but guidance...this is a forum for open discussion not veiled criticism

Sarah...you say next steps are not required...isn't development and progress evidence children are moving to the next step in their learning?
    Maybe I understand child development wrong....better go and re read all those famous books...retrain and start again

Next steps - I was a bit surprised to read this section about next steps as I too thought that was very important and ofsted would want to see evidence of this. I don't write a next steps next to every photo as it might just be a photo of them playing but I do one next to something I can help them with as it shows (evidence)I am thinking about how I can help the child move on.

Observations - you say you don't understand how an activity can be set up without doing more than one observation.
    Maybe I am doing things wrong here but I never ever set up an activity just to do an observation. We play and have fun doing arts crafts whatever the child likes to do and if I see anything that I haven't seen before then I take a picture, add it to the learning journal and write what the child has achieved in this photos. The only time I would set up an activity is if the child is struggling with something I.e her colours. We would do activities centred on colours but I do not do massive observations as a story book with pictures is just as effective. You can flick through my learning stories and see a clear picture of development without setting up an activity to do loads of observations. I don't have time for this ime afraid. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by toddlers896; 25-09-2014 at 07:04 AM.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toddlers896 View Post
    Next steps - I was a bit surprised to read this section about next steps as I too thought that was very important and ofsted would want to see evidence of this. I don't write a next steps next to every photo as it might just be a photo of them playing but I do one next to something I can help them with as it shows (evidence)I am thinking about how I can help the child move on.

Observations - you say you don't understand how an activity can be set up without doing more than one observation.
    Maybe I am doing things wrong here but I never ever set up an activity just to do an observation. We play and have fun doing arts crafts whatever the child likes to do and if I see anything that I haven't seen before then I take a picture, add it to the learning journal and write what the child has achieved in this photos. The only time I would set up an activity is if the child is struggling with something I.e her colours. We would do activities centred on colours but I do not do massive observations as a story book with pictures is just as effective. You can flick through my learning stories and see a clear picture of development without setting up an activity to do loads of observations. I don't have time for this ime afraid. Just my opinion.
    If you read Sarah's original post it says "I don’t have a ‘next step’ plan for every observation either" Sometimes as Sarah says the next steps are "do this again" or if child can do a 2 piece puzzle, you may give them a 3 or 4 piece puzzle - something like that is natural progression, whereas if you had observed something that focused on a child's new interest you may think of a different next steps eg: child playing with cars in sand pit but doesn't like painting or craft - next steps could be "driving car through paint on big paper on patio" - that isn't an obvious next step so would need recording.

I played Picture Word lotto with the children yesterday and I whispered the words as I have a child with a speech pronunciation problem and I wanted him to watch my lips to see how I used them to make different sounds, all children had to repeat the word when they got what it was, I had a pad and pencil beside me so I could jot down which words the child I was observing was struggling with. So this was a planned activity so I could work out how to help him with his speech problem. Not sure what next steps will be yet!

22. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To clarify for those members messaging me about Early Years Outcomes...

This document written by Ofsted in Nov 2013 - Ofsted | Early years: November 2013 states -

Inspectors should ensure that they are familiar with the definition of teaching
    which has been included in the new inspections documents. They must evaluate
    how practitioners’ teaching facilitates children’s learning. They must they must not
    impose their own preferred methodology.

Inspectors should be aware that Development Matters has been replaced by Early
    Years Outcomes. This is a non-statutory guide to help inform understanding of
    child development through the early years.

For more information, please click on the following link:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...years-outcomes

We only share information on this forum and our Facebook group which we have been given by Ofsted. If Ofsted say that their inspectors should use a particular guidance document when inspecting childminders we will share it - because if our members don't use the guidance document they will be downgraded at inspection.

However... and this is the point of the whole thread ... it is guidance and doesn't need to be used as a checklist.

Thank you.

24. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Simona Guest

Thank you for your reply Sarah and for stressing the point of the thread which is that EYO and DM are not statutory

Your OP is about too much paperwork ...I totally agree with you there
    I am against creating anything that is not necessary or required...there is a lot of documentation suggested in this forum and accessible to cms.
    I personally do not have half the policies or procedures suggested here but I am happy I have covered everything and fairly confident I can discuss this at inspection and explain to an inspector

so why such reaction from cms emailing you to clarify about EYO?...the info is there for all to read and understand.
    I have ploughed through various documents ...as you also have...to be able to understand what changes they contain and what I need to do
    EYO are none other than DM without the EE and PR columns

what you are referring to is the change announced by Sue Gregory prior to the inspectors being told they must use EYO at inspections from Nov 2013.

This is correct but it does not mean we have to use it...Inspectors MUST use....we can choose which one suits us best...as you also confirm to us that neither are statutory.

I also have the email in front of me from Ofsted dated Nov 2013 in answer to which document we can use: whatever suits us best
    I therefore find it difficult to accept that Ofsted would advice this Forum differently?
    I will definitely put this on my OBC list as my meeting is next week and I will definitely get it clarified when the opportunity arises

As EYO is written by the DfE a call to them will not hurt either so I can clarify for my own benefit ...I would suggest any cm who is not sure make that call too so we can compare notes
    My first phone call.... while writing this comment....confirmed we can use what we choose.

HH...I understand about the Next steps... they are not planned for every observation or anytime you do an activity....but for progress...I never suggested otherwise...apologies if that is how it sounds

Toddlers 896...sorry I think I was not very clear on what I meant about an activity
    You mention a colour activity...immediately 3 areas of observation come to mind with just that and I am sure the other 4 will come up

I doubt there is any point in trying to clarify what I personally meant by setting up an activity...which incidentally is what inspectors need to observe at inspection to share the 'outcomes' and how ...as Sarah says...we apply teaching...both mentioned in EYFS and other Ofsted factsheets

I would like to express my worry at the phrase 'the voice of reason' ...it may be misinterpreted against others and it is used unfairly in this thread as to say others are not reasonable?

I find that very worrying coming from what I thought were colleagues in here who advise, suggest, support and help each other...many responses are not justified

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I've started to use new obs sheets that plainly ask for the observation to be written down and then it has boxes for EYO but without the statements, only the headings. The LJ has the full list at the front and I only put the age bracket next to each heading. Makes it much easier than having to search out a statement that best matches the obs. It also has boxes for the 'Characteristics of Effective Learning' Because frankly, they never did match properly!
    In the end, the LJ is for the child and parents NOT Ofsted!.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

27. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah.. useful as usual.

I only do 1 observation a month that is written in a folder and linked to EYO/DM with next steps attached. But this is as well as my trackers and 6 monthly progress reports. Plus post it notes to add to LJ's

So mine is significantly less and Ofsted had no problem with the way I do things...I do agree that some people are doing far too much

Some of my observations don't have a next step because not every one does. Not everything has to lead onto something else so some don't
    Last edited by JCrakers; 17-11-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

29. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning,

I have come across this post as I have a question regarding Summative Assessments/Progress Summary reports. Sarah, please can you inform me of the norm to be doing these? I currently am doing them every 3 months across all 7 areas of learning and to be frank they are a drain on my time at the weekends and yes, they are in a file and probably read briefly by parents once and that is that and I am back asking myself why I do them at all, especially within such a tight timeframe?

I am awaiting inspection therefore, trying to ensure all is there especially thinking if I cut down to every six months I could be doing myself a disfavour - mad I know. My ideal would be every 6 months.

Also I place next steps for each area of learning when doing the Summative Assessments/Progress Summary reports according to the EYO statements - is this necessary?

If there is anyway Sarah you could comment on what is expected/the norm, it would be very helpful.

Also if anyone else wants to let me know how often you are doing them it would be very much appreciated.

Just to add I do children's individual planning over every six weeks and evaluate at the end which is like a mini summary report as it is. The next plan is to me their next steps. I think this is right and I like this.

Sorry all driving myself a little mad this weekend.
    Last edited by Wiggle Wiggle; 12-04-2015 at 08:22 AM.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do my summatives about every 6mths or so.

I update 'tracker' every few months and decided that I was repeating myself with the summatives as I was putting the same info in both, so now I do a (very) brief summary of devt, and then suggested next steps and ways of helping. Plus brief COEL and parents have a copy of this. (Every 6 mths or so)

Each week I look to see what a child is doing/interested in and decide how to extend etc and put that on my planner for the following week.

32. Likes Wiggle Wiggle liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast