Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Starting points

Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting points

also...i take it i don't need to converse with the nursery that he used to attend due to the fact hes now left..am i right?
    Last edited by Kaybeaa; 13-01-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Child's learning journey from previous nursery

Hello,
    I have a child started with me a couple of weeks ago who was previously in a nursery 3 days a week. The mum has said she'll bring his learning journey from the nursery to me next time he comes. I'm just wondering, would I use this learning journey to help with the starting points of this child or am i to continue on with what the nursery has done? and is a nursery LJ similar to one that a childminder does or do they differ due to the different provision?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    Hello,
    I have a child started with me a couple of weeks ago who was previously in a nursery 3 days a week. The mum has said she'll bring his learning journey from the nursery to me next time he comes. I'm just wondering, would I use this learning journey to help with the starting points of this child or am i to continue on with what the nursery has done? and is a nursery LJ similar to one that a childminder does or do they differ due to the different provision?
    I would look at where his "finishing" points were at Nursery, do some basic observations to ensure you agree with the stage child is now at and use these as your starting points for how ever you are going to do your Learning Journal.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    Hello,
    A LJ is a live document where children's progress is recorded and information exchanged between parents and providers...we all do them differently
    It would be great if you could talk to the nursery and share the child's progress as they hand over to you.
    The nursery would have done a final assessment of his progress then they should hand their LJ to mum who should give it to you so you can start observing the child to ensure what the nursery says the child has achieved is actually true...a meeting with the nursery would be a fantastic opportunity to liaise with other professionals.

Once you have the LJ sit down with the parent and discuss how you do your obs/assess/planning/reporting to them

You can use the LJ from the nursery to carry on or start your own...your choice...I would however make sure you have the nursery LJ when you get inspected to show the inspector how you do things...this is my personal suggestion, it happened to me and I was happy to discuss with the inspector

Good luck