Observation and assessment
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Observation and assessment

Ok so I have just started doing my LJ. So far I have done All about me, my first days at the setting (just pic of lo playing,outings etc,) and my WOW moments explaining what the child is doing, learning linked to EYFS. I spoke to my PACEY coordinator las week and she told me to do an assessment just to see how the child is doing at my setting. Do I just base my assessment on one observation and link it to EYFS and planning? Lo started walking last week so I thought I could use that for his assessment. Or do I assess him in all development areas? Can someone please give me an example how to do this? I have read so much about different types of observations but still a bit confused about the whole thing.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

when I have a child start with me, I spend the first few sessions taking lots of photos and playing with/getting to know child. I then stick them all ( or nearly all! ) into the LJ and write down all the areas covered. ( I would go through the Early Years Outcomes and take note of the age bands child is in, to help me see if there are any areas of concern ) this gives me a quick and simple overview of where the child is NOW and I can see where I need to offer support.

good luck and I hope this helps xx

3. Likes Bluebell, Happiness liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Happiness View Post
    Ok so I have just started doing my LJ. So far I have done All about me, my first days at the setting (just pic of lo playing,outings etc,) and my WOW moments explaining what the child is doing, learning linked to EYFS. I spoke to my PACEY coordinator las week and she told me to do an assessment just to see how the child is doing at my setting. Do I just base my assessment on one observation and link it to EYFS and planning? Lo started walking last week so I thought I could use that for his assessment. Or do I assess him in all development areas? Can someone please give me an example how to do this? I have read so much about different types of observations but still a bit confused about the whole thing.
    Not sure how long this child has been with you but maybe your assessor meant you observe the child's starting points, observe what he can do and what he cannot in the '3 prime areas', if he has just started walking I safely assume he is just over 1? this will give you a picture of his emerging skills in PSED, CL and PD

I am unsure why she is suggesting you do an assessment...he is far too young to be assessed...my view of course
    I am doing exactly the same now with my child...I have observed all the child can do and those are my starting points, I will do a summary and then plan his 'next steps' based on his ability and what I would like him to achieve

5. Likes Bluebell, Happiness, loocyloo liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree I tend to do lots of 'getting to know you' type observations and activities so I can get an idea of starting points. I don't write them all up as observations. I use overview sheet to highlight on where child is so I can know which areas still working on. It sounds like you are doing a great job as already have all about me and first day in setting so can know starting points.

7. Likes N/A, Happiness, loocyloo liked this post
    Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your advice everyone . As always you have been amazing. I better stop panicking and chill out a bit. It looks I am doing fine. Probably just overthinking everything lol.

9. Likes Bluebell, loocyloo, N/A liked this post
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Bluebell when you say "overview sheets" do you mean a tracking sheet?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    Bluebell when you say "overview sheets" do you mean a tracking sheet?
    We use different names for this but an overview is like tracking children's progress by watching what they can do you track them and plan the next steps

I interpret Formative assessment, which are observations, as 'tracking' and showing where gaps may come up in children's learning which you then plan for...does this help?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Thanks again Simona