Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Info

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Info

Changing lj's - yet again..... Have been using online system, but I miss the look of scrapbook type lj's. Seeing the child change, and find it easier to flick through and cross ref than on a computer....

But how much info do you put in. Feel like I was over complicating things last time I did it like this....

Ie - have a pic of child connecting duplo. I stick that in, date it & write a quick statement what he is doing, and any next step. I highlight it on the tracker, so I know if they whether they are within correct development age at a glance, & assisting writing end of term summaries. Do you still write by the Ob which areas of dev Ob is showing & age range too or not??? Just seems like a lot of info to note.....???

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post
    Changing lj's - yet again..... Have been using online system, but I miss the look of scrapbook type lj's. Seeing the child change, and find it easier to flick through and cross ref than on a computer....

But how much info do you put in. Feel like I was over complicating things last time I did it like this....

Ie - have a pic of child connecting duplo. I stick that in, date it & write a quick statement what he is doing, and any next step. I highlight it on the tracker, so I know if they whether they are within correct development age at a glance, & assisting writing end of term summaries. Do you still write by the Ob which areas of dev Ob is showing & age range too or not??? Just seems like a lot of info to note.....???
    I do this bit like you: 'Ie - have a pic of child connecting duplo. I stick that in, date it & write a quick statement what he is doing, and any next step.' but I only look at a tracker sheet 3 times a year and do a much more general flick through all obs per area to see if they are on track.

'Do you still write by the Ob which areas of dev Ob is showing & age range too or not??? Just seems like a lot of info to note.....???' Area of L&D, yes- like 'PD' 'PSED' but I do not write Aspect, or age range as that would mean me getting out my DM and I am not doing that for every obs, too much work.

I only get DM out 3 times a year for termly progress review (or for general browsing and bedtime reading!)

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I do this bit like you: 'Ie - have a pic of child connecting duplo. I stick that in, date it & write a quick statement what he is doing, and any next step.' but I only look at a tracker sheet 3 times a year and do a much more general flick through all obs per area to see if they are on track. 'Do you still write by the Ob which areas of dev Ob is showing & age range too or not??? Just seems like a lot of info to note.....???' Area of L&D, yes- like 'PD' 'PSED' but I do not write Aspect, or age range as that would mean me getting out my DM and I am not doing that for every obs, too much work. I only get DM out 3 times a year for termly progress review (or for general browsing and bedtime reading!)
    Sounds very much like mine. Not all have pics tho.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. That's it - I don't want to get DM out for every one to link to age range, plus think it gets too much & looks messy. :-)

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

In my LJ I put a picture, lets say the child is using chalks on the board. I put the date and age in months and a little statement 'Using chalks' and then put PD. That is all..nice and simple.
    Then every now and again I put a longer link that links to DM and add a statement from it but I don't do that with every picture I add.

I use post it notes to add spontaneous observations I may see, dated and age in months and a link to DM.

I use my trackers every 4-5months or so to ensure we are on track and do a progress summary every 6-8months.

This works for me, as I don't do paperwork out of hrs so mine are simple, straight to the point with no extra flappiness
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

JCrakers when you say you do a progress summary every 6-8 months what do you mean by that? Sorry I am new to childminding. Also when you do observations what do you write in your 'next steps'? So far in my LJ I have a few sections:all about me, first days at the setting-pic of lo playing etc, and my wow moments. Can you please explain? TIA.x

Simona Guest

Happiness...try to avoid too much paperwork or you will be spending 1/2 your life on paperwork.

Daily diaries are simple notes on what you do, where you go, food, sleep, nappy changes
    I, for example, talk to the parents every morning and evening so do not do diaries...they would just be repetitive and my parents opt for verbal feedback...but of course that's my choice
    If you did a menu and displayed it on the wall then all parents could see and avoid you writing the same in several diaries and save lots of time

Your LJ should be your tracker of how children are progressing, what is emerging, expected or exceeding
    If you used the DM guidance that is a good tracker as is the Outcomes...set your Next Steps and then track how the children are achieving by your obs and your assessment

I have seen Tracker books but I found them an added bit of writing when all can go in the LJ...you can also call it what you like: portfolio or Record of Achievements....they are all LJs in the end.

In your contract you could have a page for 'general info' and discussions you exchange with parents on any subject. These records will ensure you have something to go back to in case you need to refer to them