What area does sensory type stuff link to?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What area does sensory type stuff link to?

I have a 7 month old baby who is currently very interested in different types of fabrics and also clear plastic bottles filled with various items. I have done lots of lovely observations but am not sure what area of learning they link to. Under the old EYFS I tended to put sensory type things under Knowledge and Understanding of the World, but under the new EYFS we are supposed to be focussing on the prime areas for young babies. Should I just link them to physical development? I am feeling very confused.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would put PD and UW and evidence of characteristic of learning- Playing and Exploring.

These things do not fit into the tidy boxes the EYFS provides so I apply a dose of common sense and try not to worry!

You know what the child was getting out of it, you know what they could do next and you know how to support them, so that is what really matters.

The descriptions in the Dev. Matters are only tiny snap shots of possible things a hypothetical child might possibly do or might not do, so I do not follow them too closely- just read the whole block to get a feeling for what they mean and go with that.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have quite a few sensory learners - it's a learning style just like you might be an auditory learner and listen to talking books and your friend might be a visual learner and prefer to read books...

Provide lots of sensory resources and link it to the child's characteristics of learning - how the child learns

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks for the help, it makes more sense now.