Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 2 Year check

Registered Childminder since
    Jun 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Just had message from Parent of 2 year old stating child will be late in tomorrow as he has 2 year check with local childrens centre (under the care of local health visitors).

Have just read on info for 2 year checks in downloads that if check is being done by HV then I dont need to do one but I am sure I read somewhere else that I did?

Please could someone clarify?

I do have concerns about the child - health wise & development wise and have discussed this confidentially in the past with the same health worker who is doing the check on the child tomorrow. I have already met with not very helpful responses from the parents (he is just lazy and boys develop slower than girls blah blah) and dont feel I can offer them any more advice for it to be ignored (have already posted how fed up I am of feeling like a glorified babysitter/nosewiper and am upset that my concerns about THEIR child are not being addressed by them).

I have ofsted looming so dont want to do the wrong thing by not doing the check if I should be doing. I am happy that the local childrens worker will recognise the child (and did previously say that she would keep any eye out for him coming up on her session list as they are pretty prompt at getting them in with parents agreement). I think my concerns will be raised with the parents tomorrow discreetly off the back of our conversation and will see the development worker next week as she attends our local playgroup as an advisor. So do I still need to do a 2 year check?

I will be going on maternity leave in the next few months so if I have to do it and upset the parents any further by what I say then so be it - they wont be with me much longer. They have now stopped spending a few minutes to talk about the childs day at collection time as I think they are sick of me "going on"

Thanks in advance for replies xx

Edited to add: that I hope the parents will realise that my concerns are valid, and I am not just being a nag with them, if the health visitor/child worker raises the same concerns x
    Last edited by Dilly Daydream; 12-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

In this instance I would write a positive report of all the things the child can do with next steps to help him achieve the next development milestone. I would not highlight which developmental bracket he falls into and would be confident the children centre worker would recognise where the child is from the statements I had written about what he can do and would sensitively broach the subject of delay with the parents.

You don't need to write realms but you ought to write up something.

Jun 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply! That's a good way to do it thanks - feel I have already alienated parents with my discussions on the concerns I have. Would like them to have something positive to take to his next setting. Won't get time to put something together now in time for tomorrow with the late notice from parents and commitments I already have this evening but will still put something together for his learning journal over the next few weeks. He has only just turned 2 and has only been with me 8 weeks so I will admit it wasn't really on my radar to do just yet. The children's centre are very organised here!

Thanks again x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh that is very prompt, our HV seem to be doing them at 2 1/2 and the guidance for doing the checks suggests that you should delay doing a report if the child has only just started with you to give them time to settle in.

I would write a report as blue bear has suggested and let the parents have a copy - up to you if you want to send a copy to HV, we were told on our training course for doing the 2 year check that was against confidentiality unless parents agree, which seems silly if parents won't acknowledge your concerns, how will this child get the help he needs?

Jun 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Gosh that is very prompt, our HV seem to be doing them at 2 1/2 and the guidance for doing the checks suggests that you should delay doing a report if the child has only just started with you to give them time to settle in.

I would write a report as blue bear has suggested and let the parents have a copy - up to you if you want to send a copy to HV, we were told on our training course for doing the 2 year check that was against confidentiality unless parents agree, which seems silly if parents won't acknowledge your concerns, how will this child get the help he needs?
    I did think this was quite prompt too as only just 2! I went to an info eve on 2 year check in Oct and was advised there also to make sure the child was nicely settled in as you do get until they are 3 to do it anyway! I am just praying that the parents will take notice of the children's centre and any issues they do raise as the longer the child is with me the more concerned I feel for him and his delayed development.

Thanks again for your reply x
    Last edited by Dilly Daydream; 12-03-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Simona Guest

Default 2 year check

I have a child who turned 2 two weeks ago. A week after he had a check with his HV...general info was given to mum about health and eating and she was asked if she had any concerns

Now I have started his 2 year old 'progress check' on the 3 Prime areas which will be sent to the HV when the child is called again just before he turns 3

Please don't quote me but my understanding is the 'progress check' has to start at age 2 and has to be done as per EYFS recording the Characteristics of Effective Learning, once we know when the check is due (usuall beetween 2/12 and 3) we can agree a date with the parents on a date to complete the 'summative assessment'...remeber to let the parents comment as ofsted need to see this

I know LAs are training on this but there is always guidance on the 'Know How Guide Progress check at age 2' found on the Foundation Years website with samples on how to do it and you can adjust it to your needs and style

Do share how you do yours