Training courses for childminding confusion!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Training courses for childminding confusion!

Hi

I am looking to set up as a before and after school childminder. I am confused as to what qualifications I need for this.
    There is the CACHE level 3 award in preparing to work in home based childcare which is £250 or there’s a level 3 on ChildmindingUK which is CPD accredited and ofsted recognised course for just £100 and is a lot shorter.
    Has anyone done either course or tell me what the pros and cons are? I’d obviously prefer to just do the£100 course if it is enough. I do have an NNEB qualification from 1997 which I know doesn’t count for anything now but it’s not like I’d be a total newbie.

Thank you!

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are right - it is a minefield with lots of different options available to you.

The level 3 introduction to home-based childcare course prepares you for working in childminding - it gives you the skills and knowledge you need - it introduces you to the theoretical and financial aspects of the job... I know because I am an assessor for the pre-school learning alliance intro to childcare course.

Other courses are shorter and / or cheaper ... and may not be as robust or as well supported - I don't know.

It depends to an extent on how much you already know about child development, early years, tax and NI, legislation surrounding childcare etc ... your own starting point and then your business plan for the future.

I hope that helps - good luck with your journey