Struggling to find the answer online - max number as a childminder in a domestic prop
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Struggling to find the answer online - max number as a childminder in a domestic prop

Hi

I have been a primary school teacher for mahy years, however, I want to do something different; I am very passionate about childcare but frustrated with work. I am currently looking at childminding as an option, however, I am struggling to find the answer to the following - in a domestic property what is the maximum number of children a childminder can care for? I have read that a childminder can have up to 3 assistants. If a childminder can up to 3 assistants then I'm assuming the number will be at least 10/12?

Any advise would be very much appreciated

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A childminder can have 2 assistants - max 3 working together in the house.

If there are more than 2 assistants / staff they have to re-register as childcare on domestic premises - more information here

Childcare on Domestic Premises

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are planning larger numbers of children and staff you need to have considerate neighbours too and may need to talk to your local authority about it, as neighbours could complain to LA if they feel there is a nuisance with parents arriving/leaving at similar times of the day, parking, noise etc. Space will also need to be sufficient as you need to keep to the space requirements in the EYFS.
    Good luck with your plans, sounds exciting!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You may need planning permission to have this many assistants / children and will need to carefully calculate your floor area which will work out how many children you are allowed. (subject to ratios of course).

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Previous posts are correct AFAIK.

With two assistants, space and planning considerations notwithstanding, you could have up to eighteen under-8s (half of them preschoolers) and a theoretically infinite number of over-8s.

Those sorts of numbers bring a lot of considerations into play. You’re looking at all sorts of pressures on the house, fridge, bin, bathroom, etc. I struggle when a mere three schoolies come back, all desperate for the toilet.

How will neighbours respond to so many cars arriving and leaving to drop off and pick up? A CM near me, working alone, had complaints from neighbours about cars. The LA forced her to tarmac her front garden as a result.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

And it depends on your insurance company.