Think I'm going to regret this
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Think I'm going to regret this

Soooooo, business has been slow and I mean really slow. Panic stations in fact. I recently had a lady come to see me regarding care of her 3 children one day a week. Baby from 9-2:45 and her 2 boys 1-2:45. This is term time only and I think I've made a mistake taking them on. Care starts January and they have just signed contracts and paid a deposit.

What concerns me now, upon thinking about it sensibly, is that I now won't be able to take on further business on that day as it would take me over ratio meaning I can't take on a full timer. The 2 boys are only being charged for the hours they use, they will be going to ore-school and I will collect them from there.

Im starting to regret agreeing to take them on which makes me sound like a terrible terrible person, I was so worried about the fact that my business was failing that I didn't consider the implications properly, I may never get a full timer but what happens if I do? Has anyone given notice to a family before to make the space for a full timer or is that totally frowned upon? I'm all in a tiz about it :-(

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Full timers are very rare. I'd stick with this family for now. In all the years childminding (term time only), I never had a full time family as they were all teachers and worked short weeks.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

3. Likes halor liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

At least it's one day a week. I had a family that wanted Monday, Wednesday and Friday! It was so difficult to slot others in.

5. Likes halor liked this post
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ripeberry, I need all the business I can get at the moment to be totally honest. I'm hoping that one day a week won't make too much difference, especially as one of the boys starts school in a year. It's just a worry that for such short hours I've essentially lost the day (if that makes sense)

if you had had a full timer come along, in a similar situation, would you consider giving notice? I know it may never happen but in my own mind I need to be at peace with what should be done. I'm a bit emotionally sensitive at the moment so seem to be worrying more than normal over these things :-/

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take them on. She may increase her hours and it is one more person to be using 'word of mouth' for you which could lead to other business. Also, if you have children on your books, even for just a few hours, it gets you noticed when out and about and gives you chances to talk about the fact that you are a childminder - at playgroups/parks/school gates etc. As Ripeberry says, full timers are rare. Most of my enquiries just want three days and you never know, you may be able to get either this mum or a future mum to alter the days that they would use you.

Good luck. x

8. Likes halor liked this post
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mazza, I think I'm just worrying unnecessarily. Because their term time only I agreed to not charge for the boys whilst their at Pre-school, also because I'm not having to drop them there.

Ive been in such a flap recently, worrying that business wouldn't be coming my way. Luckily I've just signed another January starter. I just have to try and get by the next few months

10. Likes Maza, Ripeberry liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never give notice to make room for a 'better' offer. I always take on whatever comes along if I have the space and always manage to fill up odd spaces or the 1 day a weeker turns into 2 or even 3 days. I don't think it would do your reputation any good if you gave notice and that is what we build our business on so who knows how many enquiries you may get down the line.

12. Likes halor liked this post
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem is, 2 of the spaces are being taken up for 1 hour 45 minutes. The one day a week isn't unusual and I've done a few of those in the past. Like I said, I'm probably worrying unnecessarily. It's a shame as I have been approached by someone today, a teacher, looking for care 5 days a week for her baby from March. Unfortunately it seems I'll have to turn her away :-(

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    The problem is, 2 of the spaces are being taken up for 1 hour 45 minutes. The one day a week isn't unusual and I've done a few of those in the past. Like I said, I'm probably worrying unnecessarily. It's a shame as I have been approached by someone today, a teacher, looking for care 5 days a week for her baby from March. Unfortunately it seems I'll have to turn her away :-(
    Now you have had the approach - you need to think about it. If this family are willing to give 5 full days and you want term time, then I would go for this. Wait until you are absolutely sure, as long as it is soon, then I would apologise and explain and return the deposits. I would take a full day from a teacher over a having to go out at lunch and collect and only have the children for a short time after this.
    If it is a small community you may run the risk of your reputation, but if it is a guaranteed 5 days then this risk is worth it in my opinion.

But the teacher family has to be guaranteed to motivate this.

15. Likes halor liked this post
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks FloraDora, it's something I'm going to contemplate. Both contracts are term time only and my business head (I don't often have a business head) is telling me what you have just said.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only ever had 3 full timers and loads of part timers, in my experience there is always someone who will slot into the spaces you have, it all works out....

18. Likes halor liked this post
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your comments, this lone working malarkey can be difficult at times. It's good to have people to hash things out with

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tough decisions

For my two penneth....

Both parents have plenty of time to find alternatives if you make a decision fairly soon

The full timer is only an enquiry at this point, and could very easily decide not to choose you, so maybe go through the motions - visit, working out fees, deposits etc and see where that takes you - normally the signing contracts and taking a deposit stage is enough for 'serious' enquirers to back out
    It could be that during the visit/s YOU decide you'd rather not take the full timer - don't click with the parents, get a bad feeling, whatever.

You could still have 2 more part timers on the mornings 8am - 12 or 12.30
    I once had a mindee 6am - 12.30 that slotted in really well - apart from the early start

If you take funding, you could offer the mornings as a 3 hour session 9am - 12noon to two people that could potentially lead to more hours/future business

If the full timer left 6 months down the line, you'd loose a lot of income in one go. If a part timer leaves, I find it less stressful on the finances

Personally, I would stick with the part timer that has already signed, but that's more because I work on 'first come first served'

Good luck whichever way you decide x

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks kiddleywinks

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    Thanks ripeberry, I need all the business I can get at the moment to be totally honest. I'm hoping that one day a week won't make too much difference, especially as one of the boys starts school in a year. It's just a worry that for such short hours I've essentially lost the day (if that makes sense)

if you had had a full timer come along, in a similar situation, would you consider giving notice? I know it may never happen but in my own mind I need to be at peace with what should be done. I'm a bit emotionally sensitive at the moment so seem to be worrying more than normal over these things :-/

I'm too soft. I would not have given notice for another family. It would go against you in the end. Reputation is gold in this job.

23. Likes chris goodyear liked this post
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all your comments