drumming up business
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Update***
    Parent had messaged me back saying she has read through my paperwork, and from meeting me feels that I would be best for looking after her baby... she trusts me and really liked what I had to offer.....
    BUT she will be sending her baby to her mother in law for the next 3 months to save money as she cannot be eligible for tax credits etc. She said she understands that I may not have the space in 3 months time and she will contact me then.

I've then just had a notification from childcare.co.uk saying a parent you have views has updated their profile. ....yep it's the same parent wanting a nanny/childminders asap

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no how frustrating!! And so annoying, why do people not give the real reason, I would always rather be told why I wasn't picked than fed a story! Nice that she tried to spare your feelings but doesn't help you much when I bet all you want is some constructive feedback! Maybe now she's looking for a nanny she's realised she might not be looking for a childminder after all, at least she thought enough of you to get back to you and tell you she wasn't going to take the space, as so many just never respond.
    So gutted for you, hope some of the other enquiries are more promising

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    Oh no how frustrating!! And so annoying, why do people not give the real reason, I would always rather be told why I wasn't picked than fed a story! Nice that she tried to spare your feelings but doesn't help you much when I bet all you want is some constructive feedback! Maybe now she's looking for a nanny she's realised she might not be looking for a childminder after all, at least she thought enough of you to get back to you and tell you she wasn't going to take the space, as so many just never respond.
    So gutted for you, hope some of the other enquiries are more promising
    I know it's so hard and frustrating, I've had 4 enquiries in the last 2 days and not one has come of anything. ... people don't seem to know what they want or they're making enquiries for July 2017!! (I've had 2 recently asking do i have a space July 17, for goodness sake , beyond frustrating at the moment really seriously thinking about looking elsewhere for a job, as much as I don't want to ,, hope and wishful thinking is not going to pay bills xxx

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so disappointed for you crumpet. I really hope things pick up for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
    I'm so disappointed for you crumpet. I really hope things pick up for you.
    Thanks minstrel xx

Post Thanks / Like

Well just had feedback from a enquiry that visited last week, went very well, they've just emailed to say they are choosing a nursery......

Oh my goodness I cannot actually bear much more ! !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Well just had feedback from a enquiry that visited last week, went very well, they've just emailed to say they are choosing a nursery......

Oh my goodness I cannot actually bear much more ! !

Edited to add-
    They've just sent another email saying that the reason is because I don't provide meals they have chosen a nursery and that they loved my setting but that was what put them off

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that something you would consider changing?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Edited to add-
    They've just sent another email saying that the reason is because I don't provide meals they have chosen a nursery and that they loved my setting but that was what put them off
    That's a shame.

I provide lunch and snacks. If parents want their child to have breakfast they either provide it or pay extra. I don't provide an evening meal, but then none of the children are here particularly late.

Is there a reason you've decided not to provide meals?

Post Thanks / Like

I provide breakfast and snacks, but I really don't want to provide main meals for a variety of reasons, it's just not for me and my setting.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I provide breakfast and snacks, but I really don't want to provide main meals for a variety of reasons, it's just not for me and my setting.
    That's fair enough.

I think a lot of parents do expect lunch to be provided in an early years setting (either included in fee or paid for separately) so it will put some off. Hopefully you'll soon find the perfect family who are quite happy to send a packed lunch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

That's fair enough.

I think a lot of parents do expect lunch to be provided in an early years setting (either included in fee or paid for separately) so it will put some off. Hopefully you'll soon find the perfect family who are quite happy to send a packed lunch
    The thing is when I was waiting to be registered and when I was on the childminding course via LA absolutely everyone said don't do food, make them provide a lunch...
    Of all the cms I have spoke to i know only a couple that provide a cooked meal.

The mindees mum I have at the moment has no problem with bringing in food, it's not a problem at all.

It's just getting too hard , I've never felt so disheartenend in all my working life, im starting to think is it really for me?? Even my registration process was a total nightmare, was it all a sign ??

Sorry for moaning

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing is when I was waiting to be registered and when I was on the childminding course via LA absolutely everyone said don't do food, make them provide a lunch...
    Of all the cms I have spoke to i know only a couple that provide a cooked meal.
    That does surprise me. The majority of cms here provide lunch so I guess it varies from area to area.

When I started out I had young children of my own. I was making lunch for them anyway so it seemed natural that I would make it for the other children. I don't cook a full meal at lunch time. We have something like sandwiches, pasta, jacket potatoes or something on toast - very quick and easy.

I can understand how disheartening this must be for you. As I've said before, it took me a very long time to get started and I did wonder whether it would ever happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

That does surprise me. The majority of cms here provide lunch so I guess it varies from area to area.

When I started out I had young children of my own. I was making lunch for them anyway so it seemed natural that I would make it for the other children. I don't cook a full meal at lunch time. We have something like sandwiches, pasta, jacket potatoes or something on toast - very quick and easy.

I can understand how disheartening this must be for you. As I've said before, it took me a very long time to get started and I did wonder whether it would ever happen.
    How long did it take you mouse, im coming into my 7th month!

Yes I see what you mean, i make my own daughter a lunch obviously, i just don't want to offer meals for many reasons.
    This was the only family that have mentioned the meals.

I'm doing the rounds again today, leaflet drops where I can, i visited a new factory this week that has just opened on a development site and asked them to put a leaflet up in their staff room, thinking that was a good selling point being close to their work for easy drop off and collection.

so hopefully something will come soon.

Post Thanks / Like

How long did it take you mouse, im coming into my 7th month! Yes I see what you mean, i make my own daughter a lunch obviously, i just don't want to offer meals for many reasons. This was the only family that have mentioned the meals. I'm doing the rounds again today, leaflet drops where I can, i visited a new factory this week that has just opened on a development site and asked them to put a leaflet up in their staff room, thinking that was a good selling point being close to their work for easy drop off and collection. so hopefully something will come soon.
    Tell me to by££RR off if you like crumpet but can I ask why you don't want to provide meals exactly? It seems such a shame that you may not be getting customers because of this. At the simplest level, You just need a loaf of bread in the freezer and a tin of beans and charge parents for it! :-)

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I provide meals and parents pick me because of that, especially ones that work more of the week than not, it's another thing to have to think of providing up to 3 meals and 2 snacks a day in advance. When I looked for a cm for my own son before I became a cm myself, I also only really looked at cm that provided food for this reason, whether included in the price or on top of fees just because when I was up through the night with my own baby then having to work all day commuting up and back from London, the last thing I could think about was getting a load of food ready for the next day
    Perhaps offer cold lunch like sandwiches, or pasta is so easy, light tea like beans on toast and kids eat their main meal at home with parents? Presumably you make yourself something like a sarnie for lunch wouldn't be too much to make them one too...may mean you are picked over someone that doesn't provide food...
    I saw several cm when I looked for my son and those that gave the option of food at extra cost, almost all kids ate the cm food rather than send their own, and all the cm I know provide food and parents choose that rather than send in
    Could be worth considering, shame the parent that picked elsewhere didn't give you the chance to offer food before choosing somewhere else!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I provide all meals. I find it easier as everyone has the same thing, I don't need to store meals or worry about reheating etc. Plus I don't need to carry lots of lunch boxes if we go out!
    The only time I don't is for new baby starters that are being weaned, but usually within a few weeks I then 'take over' whilst at my house (and have been known to send some home!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post

Tell me to by££RR off if you like crumpet but can I ask why you don't want to provide meals exactly? It seems such a shame that you may not be getting customers because of this. At the simplest level, You just need a loaf of bread in the freezer and a tin of beans and charge parents for it! :-)
    Yes I will tell you to mind your own business! Don't be so patronising.... it's only a loaf of bread and tin of beans, don't be so damm rude!

I've bitten my tongue many a day on here with your endless requests and guidance needed -that you don't seem to take on board or even at times respond to help given!

Goodbye I am off

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I will tell you to mind your own business! Don't be so patronising.... it's only a loaf of bread and tin of beans, don't be so damm rude! I've bitten my tongue many a day on here with your endless requests and guidance needed -that you don't seem to take on board or even at times respond to help given! Goodbye I am off
    Err...I was trying to help you!!!

I'm sorry it's such a sensitive topic for you I shouldn't have bothered to help you!

I don't understand the secrecy behind your reason for not providing meals but hey ho, your business, your decision.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How long did it take you mouse, im coming into my 7th month!

It took me me a good 6 months to get my first mindee. Even then it wasn't someone local, but someone who travelled past my house on their way to work. And it was an early start - 6.30am! I wouldn't go back to starting that early again, but in the beginning I had to take what I could get!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast