'Cuddles' policy...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default 'Cuddles' policy...

...is it a good idea? has any cm got one?
    The article only refers to nurseries...are cms also affected by 'professional wariness' ?

The article mentions Dr Jools Page who did a research recently on 'Professional love'

Nurseries urged to draw up cuddle policies over fears intimacy with children will be misunderstood

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a sad time... the day i draw up a cuddles policy is the day i give up on childcare :-)
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

3. Likes Pixie dust, gef918, caresite liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is very sad.

I cuddle all the children here, as long as they're happy for me to. I also kiss them, usually on the head because I don't want a snotty, dribbly mouth in my face! But what do you do when a toddler is coming at you open mouthed ready to give you one of those slobbery, licky kisses? How hurtful for them if you turn away or stop them?

5. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Simona Guest

It is certainly sad but I also think dangerous to children's well being as well.
    I am unsure where childcare is heading at the moment but also concerned these issues always revolve around nurseries.

I must look again at that Professional love research and see how this has come about.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have lots of cuddles here .. From tiny tots to big schoolies. I never push a cuddle but will offer and always accept.
    I too kiss tops of heads, but have been offered many a snotty sticky dribbly kiss which has been accepted :-) sometimes I say lets wipe your face first!

Sometimes I find the schoolies are in dire need of a hug if they've had a bad day at school, or are tired, and surely that's what a home from home environment is about.
    Last edited by loocyloo; 27-01-2016 at 11:29 AM.

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

Sometimes I find the schoolies are in dire need of a hug if they've had a bad day at school, or are tired, and surely that's what a home from home environment is about.
    That is very true. I don't usually look after school aged children, but a while ago I had 2 girls just for a week while their mum was in hospital. On the first day that I dropped them at school both girls hugged me and waited for a kiss before they went into school. I was a bit surprised as they didn't really know me, but was happy to oblige. They did the same when I collected them from school.

I knew they were going through a very tough time at home and I think they desperately needed a hug and kiss for reassurance.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have lots of cuddles here .. From tiny tots to big schoolies. I never push a cuddle but will offer and always accept.
    I too kiss tops of heads, but have been offered many a snotty sticky dribbly kiss which has been accepted :-) sometimes I say lets wipe your face first!

Oh I do agree with you. I do love a cuddle with the lo's especially when they are wearing cuddly hand knitted cardigans/jumpers. I also hug and kiss (tops of heads) the schoolies in the morning at drop off and when they walk out of their classroom. In fact my lo's also give them big welcoming hugs which I think I is a wonderful welcome.

Unknown to me, a child who I've had for 2 years attending 2 days a week, her mum wrote in the questionnaire for the Inspector that she use to watch me in the playground. Apparently I go along the row of schoolies hugging and 'head' kissing them before 'sending them on their way to their classrooms and I knew that was the childminder for me'.

However, about 9 years ago, a parent of a beautiful cuddly squashy toddler asked me not to wear such strong perfume as she 'didn't want to smell me on her child's hair in the evening!' and that comment did sting.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a bit in my safeguarding policy about cuddling, but we are all very cuddly here even some of my mums and dads will give me a hug on accessions. Was questioned about it once by a social worker and told her that she would have to cut both my arms off if she wanted me to stop cuddling. A cuddle says a thousand words without having to say anything. I also hugged both of my last ofsted inspectors ( I did ask first) after getting such good grades. To hug and be hug safely is of great benefit t makes me so sad that some setting won't hug when it can make such a difference.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It is very sad.

I cuddle all the children here, as long as they're happy for me to. I also kiss them, usually on the head because I don't want a snotty, dribbly mouth in my face! But what do you do when a toddler is coming at you open mouthed ready to give you one of those slobbery, licky kisses? How hurtful for them if you turn away or stop them?
    Same here.... I would hate my child to go through a day without cuddles an hugs
    Tess1981

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has a sample policy to share, there are a few mummies I wouldn't mind a snuggle with.

14. Likes JCrakers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two mindees...total opposites, one would rather cut off her own arms than cuddle me whilst the other wont stop asking for a hug and a kiss (drives me mad but oblige with the cuddles!)

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    If anyone has a sample policy to share, there are a few mummies I wouldn't mind a snuggle with.
    Ohh, dare I admit to having similar thoughts to a few daddies!

17. Likes bunyip liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lol I have a daddy who always gives me a hug and a kiss! ... used to get a few looks at school!

He said I'm like family and he hugs and kisses his family :-)

19. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moh View Post
    Oh I do agree with you. I do love a cuddle with the lo's especially when they are wearing cuddly hand knitted cardigans/jumpers. I also hug and kiss (tops of heads) the schoolies in the morning at drop off and when they walk out of their classroom. In fact my lo's also give them big welcoming hugs which I think I is a wonderful welcome. Unknown to me, a child who I've had for 2 years attending 2 days a week, her mum wrote in the questionnaire for the Inspector that she use to watch me in the playground. Apparently I go along the row of schoolies hugging and 'head' kissing them before 'sending them on their way to their classrooms and I knew that was the childminder for me'. However, about 9 years ago, a parent of a beautiful cuddly squashy toddler asked me not to wear such strong perfume as she 'didn't want to smell me on her child's hair in the evening!' and that comment did sting.
    My eldest
    Went to playschool at just turned 2 and always came home smelling like the teachers perfume.. I loved it cos I knew she had had a cuddle during the morning when I wasn't with her. That mummy is strange , probably jealous of you which I can understands but she should be grown up enough not to mention it!

21. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do cuddle the little ones but don't usually kiss them .. Largely to spare the feelings of my own children who sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between the love I have for them and how I care about mindees . Sometimes I do if mine aren't around though! I usually only hug parents when we are parting ways at end of contract. Or as congrats for new pregnancy (two at mo!)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol I have a daddy who always gives me a hug and a kiss! ... used to get a few looks at school!

He said I'm like family and he hugs and kisses his family :-)
    Ha ha...I bet you were the talk of the playground!

I don't think I've ever had a hug from a dad. Mostly I'm glad, although there have been the odd few over the years who I wouldn't have minded

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Ha ha...I bet you were the talk of the playground!

I don't think I've ever had a hug from a dad. Mostly I'm glad, although there have been the odd few over the years who I wouldn't have minded
    My dad's are getting younger and younger! Or maybe I'm getting older. I've got one at the moment who I can't have eye contact with.

25. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad's are getting younger and younger! Or maybe I'm getting older. I've got one at the moment who I can't have eye contact with.

I've got one at the moment who DD & I are both rather taken with! She says he's too young for me & I say he's too old for her, but it doesn't stop either of us looking She says I've blown my chances anyway because I stood talking to him the other night stinking of baby sick!

27. Likes loocyloo, BallyH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol this thread is too funny....

Love that us saddo childminders like the look of some of the Dads!

Post Thanks / Like

Haha Lol why?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast