Fulltime?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fulltime?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fulltime?

Hi, I'm a newly registered Childminder. At the moment I have children planned in for two days a week. I have a little baby of my own, just 7 weeks now. I'm happy to be back at work, and I was excited about getting more clients but after my first day I'm having second thoughts about this... It all went really well but I felt a bit bad for my own little one, I hardly had time for him! I'm now doubting, maybe I should just leave it at these two days for now? Do all of you work full time, or only certain days a week? Most mothers I know here seem to work only 2 or 3 days a week, but where I'm from (Belgium) most mothers return to work full time. When my daughters were little (before I moved to the UK) I went to work full time again too, but they were 6 months by then and quite frankly I couldn't afford to work any less. I missed them like mad though. Now this little guy is not even 2 months yet and financially there's more breathing room too. I feel torn between being exited to work again and taking enough time to give my own baby the attention he deserves. Any advice?

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Our members on this forum all work in different ways. No two people are the same.

When my youngest was born, ( who is now 9), I only had a few days off, as my older child was 7, and so where my other minders.

I work pretty much full time, but ALL of my kids are overtime. They fit together like a wonky jigsaw.
    Many minders only work 4 days per week, with Monday's or Friday's off if they are lucky. Many work one, two or three days per week.
    Many only have little ones, others only school age children, some term time only, while some childminders only work during the holidays.

There is no right or wrong amount of hours to work, you just need to work what is right for you and your family.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always worked 4 days a week, that suits me. It is just a balance between how much income you need and how many days you need to work to achieve that.

Some CMers like just 1 child over several days, or 2-3 crazy days a week where you have several children, or countless other combinations. You can also think about how much attention your baby would have if you went to work elsewhere and baby was in nursery? When I look at it that way I can always see why it was best for me to childmind, even though my own children have had to 'share' mummy.

But give yourself time to get into it- you have a 7 week old baby! Many of us wouldn't even be out of our pyjamas at that stage, let alone working! There is no rush, if you are okay with your income then give it time and see what comes along. It is always hardest to have to give notice if you take on too much- then everyone suffers.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If income isn't an issue I would stick to what you're working now and build up gradually when you feel you want to.

It's a happy compromise - you're getting yourself back into working, but still having plenty of days to devote to your son.

In all the years I've been childminding I've rarely worked 5 days a week. Even now that my children are all older, it's still nice to have a day off to bake, visit friends or get jobs done.

5. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I work 4 days at the moment. Have never childminded over 5 days. When I started, 10 years ago, I minded 2 days a week. My youngest was 3. You have to do what suits you. Your baby is very young but as he grows he will gain a lot of stimulation from the minded children. My youngest did. Try to take it easy over the 2 days. The parents have all accepted you have limits with a young baby so I would try not to stress too much about making every day 'full' as it will all get easier with time. Best of luck.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I started working mon-thur 8am-6pm, my own 2 children were 5 and 8. It worked well as my children seemed to get on with the minded.

Then I had a year of hardly any enquiries and so when a phonecall came for a mon-fri baby, I couldn't say no.

I worked a full 5 day week for about 5yrs and then my dd turned hormonal at 10/11yrs and I couldn't cope with a 50hr week so cut the Friday off and now I work Mon-Thur again. I wouldn't go back to a full 5 day week.
    Last edited by JCrakers; 08-12-2015 at 04:57 PM.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Before I did this job I went back to work when my DS was 4mths old, full-time and he went to a fab childminder. Since doing this job I have always worked 5 days. I used to work 07.30 - 18.00 but I've cut my hours down to 08.30 - 17.00 but still have to do 5 days.
    If money wasn't an issue and I were you I would start with just the 2 days and build it up when you and your DS are ready.

xxx

9. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've worked 5 days, but for a while I was working 3 x 10hr days term time only and that gave me a great balance, taking into account part time study and my own three school aged children. I'm now doing 4 days a week and struggling to fit it all in :-(

If I had a 7wk old baby I'd definitely stick with the 2 days a week so that I'd be bringing in some income, but still have plenty of time for my baby, and to get enough rest to keep me healthy x

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If 2 days a week is enough work financially to get by then definitely stick with that. Your baby is young. If you want to increase in future you can. I started off saying I was open full time but that didn't mean I worked every day- I took on families firstly 3 days a week, added another 2 of those days and eventually another day and for 4 years I did 4 days a week, I added a 5th day for a while but when the opportunity arose for someone to reduce hours I managed to go back to 4 days. I now work 3 X 11 hour days plus the other 2 days I do before and after school only. I am doing my degree so use the 2 school days off to study. My plan is to increase the other days again next year but enquiries and families needs don't always fit my plans and as long as I'm working and busy on 3 days then financially I am fine.