Childcare Bill on 30 hrs of childcare to be amended
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Childcare Bill on 30 hrs of childcare to be amended

The Childcare Bill will be amended so that the 30 hrs will not be rolled out until funding is addressed

This is the amendment:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPqZ_MrWIAAUGue.png

Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im still wholly against this.

Only last week Wilshaw told the education committee -
    Our inspections of early years—and we produced the annual report
    in June—show that the quality of provision is improving, but not improving nearly enough
    for children from poor backgrounds who enter schools approximately 19 months behind
    their peers. As a nation, we have to make sure that those youngsters who come from poor
    backgrounds get a good deal before they start school.

So explain to me how children already 19 months behind can cope with extra funded hours being offered to their more affluent peers.

we as early years settings are almost as much to blame as the government as we are all focusing on this as a funding issue and worrying that we cant afford to offer it. Whilst this is absolutely relevant it is masking the true problem - this policy is an absolute tragedy for poorer children whose parents arent in work . The policy itself should be shelved , not more money thrown at it to make it sustainable for settings.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Im still wholly against this.

Only last week Wilshaw told the education committee -
    Our inspections of early years—and we produced the annual report
    in June—show that the quality of provision is improving, but not improving nearly enough
    for children from poor backgrounds who enter schools approximately 19 months behind
    their peers. As a nation, we have to make sure that those youngsters who come from poor
    backgrounds get a good deal before they start school.

So explain to me how children already 19 months behind can cope with extra funded hours being offered to their more affluent peers.

we as early years settings are almost as much to blame as the government as we are all focusing on this as a funding issue and worrying that we cant afford to offer it. Whilst this is absolutely relevant it is masking the true problem - this policy is an absolute tragedy for poorer children whose parents arent in work . The policy itself should be shelved , not more money thrown at it to make it sustainable for settings.
    I think that a lot of people agree with you.....I certainly would like to see this whole policy thrown out.
    From the meetings and other events I have attended that is the message coming out...is this good for children, do they need more childcare ....or...is this just an 'economic' goal for the govt?

I first heard this argument at the PLA conference in June....hence the EY Agenda they are fosussing on and asking people to endorse....that we must put the children at the heart of this and we should question if this is in the interest of the child.
    Same message was repeated at Big Childcare Conversation....is this what children need?

My main concern...shared by others I have spoken to....is those who have volunteered to be 'implemeters' of the policy a year ahead of time....it doesn't take a genius to realise why the DFE asked for their innovative ideas!
    I hope they refrain from giving them to a dept that is obviously struggling !

The amendment is a good first step in putting the brakes on, I feel we can influence this as we did for the ratio.
    One question asked at BCC was : do we need to go along with this?

Good to keep up the dialogue on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    The Childcare Bill will be amended so that the 30 hrs will not be rolled out until funding is addressed

This is the amendment:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPqZ_MrWIAAUGue.png
    Lol i love that they are taking time out to review the funding, did no one consider this BEFORE???!!!!!!!! :-)

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Lol i love that they are taking time out to review the funding, did no one consider this BEFORE???!!!!!!!! :-)
    The Lords are calling the shots here reminding the DFE not to run so fast.

The DfE is due to respond to the funding review in the autumn....November I believe....but they are trying to bypass the procedure by trailing the 30 hours a year before the due date of implementation which is 2017

Looks like the DFE is in a hurry so the blessed Lords have amended the Bill....that will give us time to debate and consider this further....good move!

6. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Simona Guest

Here is the explanation of the amendment to the Bill

Labour calls for funding gap to be solved before 30 hours roll-out | Nursery World