OFSTED: Teaching and play in the EY-a balancing act?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default OFSTED: Teaching and play in the EY-a balancing act?

Ofsted published this document last week based on research carried out in EY settings.
    any thoughts?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ancing-act.pdf

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona. It looks really interesting- I'm looking forward to being able to read it properly.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Thanks Simona. It looks really interesting- I'm looking forward to being able to read it properly.
    Warning...it may cause 'spluttering'

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have skim read it and think there is a lot of great examples. As a successful Early years Qualified and well experienced teacher I agree that playing and teaching has blurred lines. All my colleagues, regardless of actually qualifications taught the children as they played. But as this document said I used to visit excellent preschools with fantastic practitioners who didn't think they were teaching - so I had these discussions 10 years ago.
    A point that stands out as me not in total agreement is the 2 year olds progressing better when they were with 3,4,5 year olds. I think on the surface they may be seemed to be coping but there will be some long term lack of nurture issues, which won't come to light for a number of years. Also other reports say that parents of sensitive children particularly are not taking up nursery places for 2 year olds, so the research is not accurate.
    Will try to read with more focus later in the week... Off to watch Tour catch up now.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I have skim read it and think there is a lot of great examples. As a successful Early years Qualified and well experienced teacher I agree that playing and teaching has blurred lines. All my colleagues, regardless of actually qualifications taught the children as they played. But as this document said I used to visit excellent preschools with fantastic practitioners who didn't think they were teaching - so I had these discussions 10 years ago.
    A point that stands out as me not in total agreement is the 2 year olds progressing better when they were with 3,4,5 year olds. I think on the surface they may be seemed to be coping but there will be some long term lack of nurture issues, which won't come to light for a number of years. Also other reports say that parents of sensitive children particularly are not taking up nursery places for 2 year olds, so the research is not accurate.
    Will try to read with more focus later in the week... Off to watch Tour catch up now.
    Very interesting Flora Dora ...I wonder what others think of the 2 year olds learning alongside side older peers?
    I tend to agree with the report on that...it would include babies too......that is the advantage of a home based setting.

The difficult bit to read is about the 'disadvantaged children' catching up with their 'more fortunate peers'....the terminology is a bit 'iffy' .

When you have the time Flora Dora would you look at sections 27, 28 and 29...what does anyone think?

There is a bit of a debate about why parents of 2 year olds are not taking up the funded hours....sad that Wilshaw did not address this at the govt rather than the parents themselves
    Maybe those parents do not want to send their children to school at 2 or to any setting? or are there other reasons behind the low take up especially among childminders?

The report has sparked some lovely discussions amongst school teacher
    Last edited by Simona; 21-07-2015 at 07:19 AM.