Clingy/Crying Mindee
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Clingy/Crying Mindee

Hi all, I've got a mindee who turned 1 last week, he's been with me three days a week since January and settled really well. He did go through a stage after about 6 weeks of starting with me where he cried and sobbed the whole time at playgroups unless he was being held by me. This went on for about 5 weeks before me and his mum thought he was overtired (as he was going to about 4 groups a week between me and his mum!) so we reduced it to just one on a Tuesday as this was the one he was always happy at.

All has been well until today. His mum dropped him off and said that he's been very clingy all weekend and wanted to be held the whole time at playgroup yesterday. At my setting he has been very happy, giggles, smiles, babbles and crawls around exploring and playing with his favourite toys, however when we got to playgroup he sobbed unless being sat on my lap. When he settled I sat him on the floor next to me but again, hysterical crying until he was on my lap.

This is what happened before and although its only been today, I wondered if anybody has experienced this and has any advice? I am really reluctant to also give up this playgroup if this continues as it is not fair on my two children who love going, however it does really limit my interactions with my other two as I have another non walker who also needs attention.

Any advice please????

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

If the number of groups was reduced to just the one on tuesdays the routine was broken by going yesterday. Could this be the reason for the clinginess?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    If the number of groups was reduced to just the one on tuesdays the routine was broken by going yesterday. Could this be the reason for the clinginess?
    No, his routine has remained the same for 8 weeks. Originally he was going to playgroups with his mum on a Monday and Friday and with me on a Tuesday and Thursday. He now just goes on a Monday with mum and a Tuesday with me and this has been the case for 8 weeks. He was clingy with his mum all over the weekend and at group on Monday and the same again with me on Tuesday so its not his routine that's causing it. Despite his first setback (the result of which we reduced the groups in case it was too much for him) he is usually a very content little boy who arrives at these two familiar groups and crawls off to explore and play so its not like him. I am very reluctant to stop groups altogether as its not fair on the other children who enjoy going, but I also can't have him sat on my lap the whole time for the foreseeable future!

I really just need some friendly advice x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Could lo just be feeling under the weather then? I know some of mine are clingy if they feel a little low. Or teething maybe?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like LO is coming down with something/teething.
    I have a supremely confident 12 mth LO who just goes off and does her own thing. At story time this afternoon someone said hello to her and she howled and clung to me like a monkey. I couldn't put her down at all. She wouldn't even look at her aunt who was also there! She was ok once in the buggy to leave ! Her mum has just rung to say LO has just been very sick and has high temp!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Sounds like LO is coming down with something/teething.
    I have a supremely confident 12 mth LO who just goes off and does her own thing. At story time this afternoon someone said hello to her and she howled and clung to me like a monkey. I couldn't put her down at all. She wouldn't even look at her aunt who was also there! She was ok once in the buggy to leave ! Her mum has just rung to say LO has just been very sick and has high temp!
    I have another 12 mth old who is just settling in and needs constant reassurance. Luckily he has bonded to me but 12 mths is prime separation anxiety time. And it can affect them, even when previously settled and happy.