Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: British values

Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

but nowhere in that authentic recipe does it mention pouring it into a drawer to set!!

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    but nowhere in that authentic recipe does it mention pouring it into a drawer to set!!
    Don't be daft - we only do that wi' oor porridge! (Great idea, though! A drawer full of Tablet - Yum!!)

L

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    Don't be daft - we only do that wi' oor porridge! (Great idea, though! A drawer full of Tablet - Yum!!)

L
    Great to see this thread taking on a light note !!!
    All of a sudden there are hundreds of British values articles for us to sift through and ponder
    Can't wait to see how this is going to be reflected in the EYFS and common inspection framework !!

4. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Great to see this thread taking on a light note !!!
    All of a sudden there are hundreds of British values articles for us to sift through and ponder
    Can't wait to see how this is going to be reflected in the EYFS and common inspection framework !!
    Ah, now will the inspectres be able to cope if we decide to reflect 'British Values' by serving up the lo's a British diet?

Breakfast: full English, cooked in good ol' lard and double bubble on the fried slice.

Snack: Scottish tablet

Lunch: Fish & chips with ale (preferably Cornish to please the Celtic fringe); any variety of old school dinner pudding to follow, with custard made from eggs and double cream.

Snack: deep-fried Mars bar

Tea: Welsh rarebit, heavy on the full-fat cheese

Drinks to be available at all times: Irish stout, West Country cider, Newcastle brown, a selection of fine malts, etc. etc.

Five a day: potato (chips is a vegetable), apple (crumble), 1 pint cider, 2 pints perry. Sorted!

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Ah, now will the inspectres be able to cope if we decide to reflect 'British Values' by serving up the lo's a British diet?

Breakfast: full English, cooked in good ol' lard and double bubble on the fried slice.

Lunch: Fish & chips with ale (preferably Cornish to please the Celtic fringe); any variety of old school dinner pudding to follow, with custard made from eggs and double cream.

Drinks to be available at all times: Irish stout, West Country cider, Newcastle brown, a selection of fine malts, etc. etc.

Five a day: potato (chips is a vegetable), apple (crumble), 1 pint cider, 2 pints perry. Sorted!
    You'd better set the table for an extra place Bunyip. I'm coming to your house for a visit - the food sounds wonderful! Do you do full board?

L

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a packet of lee's tablet sitting on the side next to the kettle speaking to me!! I have been able to resist.

My husbands name is lee, and whenever we go back to Scotland, to visit the relatives, he likes to stock up on the range. He loves the raspberry coconut things and a strange orange bar with crumbly bits on. He also gets rhubarb pies/tarts and pineapple pies/tarts and bridies ( sorry cannot spell).

We come back over the border with his stash, plus a bit of tablet for me, plus loads of iron bru too!!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    You'd better set the table for an extra place Bunyip. I'm coming to your house for a visit - the food sounds wonderful! Do you do full board?

L
    Fussy would kill me if I offered bed and breakfast to anybody but her own fragrant self.

9. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    I have a packet of lee's tablet sitting on the side next to the kettle speaking to me!! I have been able to resist.

My husbands name is lee, and whenever we go back to Scotland, to visit the relatives, he likes to stock up on the range. He loves the raspberry coconut things and a strange orange bar with crumbly bits on. He also gets rhubarb pies/tarts and pineapple pies/tarts and bridies ( sorry cannot spell).

We come back over the border with his stash, plus a bit of tablet for me, plus loads of iron bru too!!!
    Raspberry Coconut Ice - yum!
    Tunnocks Caramel Log - yum! (They sell those in Waitrose near me in London)

L

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fussy would kill me if I offered bed and breakfast to anybody but her own fragrant self.
    You had better believe it 😇😇😇😇
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

12. Likes lollipop kid, bunyip liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read quite a few articles on this (re)introduction of British Values. I was wondering if anybody here could point me towards what they feel is the most clear article on the reasons for the change. Everyone seems to have such strong opinions on it, I'd like to know what articles people have found the most useful. Thanks.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    I've read quite a few articles on this (re)introduction of British Values. I was wondering if anybody here could point me towards what they feel is the most clear article on the reasons for the change. Everyone seems to have such strong opinions on it, I'd like to know what articles people have found the most useful. Thanks.
    The linked article in Sarah707s first post in this thread is great. X

Simona Guest

You are correct...there are several points of view on British values which many believe are already embedded in the EYFS
    There is also a bit of confusion as events have led to consider radicalisation as well...this is what many representing associations are questioning.

This month several articles have appeared trying to explain this topic
    The DfE has also published information and guidance for EY settings

It looks as though training is also being put on to address this issue...this is the email from Optimus education received this morning ahead of their conference on the subject:

'When researching ahead of this year’s SMSC conference, your colleagues highlighted to me concerns surrounding the introduction of ‘British Values’. They said:
    •“The introduction of British Values needs more clarification”
    •“What is good practice around British Values and what should it look like”
    •“How can we balance new guidelines of promoting British Values with responsibilities to other cultures”
    •“What will Ofsted be looking for regarding British Values” '

Hope it helps

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    The linked article in Sarah707s first post in this thread is great. X
    Thanks for your help. I have read that one before, and I did find it very clear and helpful in understanding what is being expected. My main question was regarding WHY it is being expected. I'm just curious on an ideological level.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

You are correct...there are several points of view on British values which many believe are already embedded in the EYFS
    There is also a bit of confusion as events have led to consider radicalisation as well...this is what many representing associations are questioning.

This month several articles have appeared trying to explain this topic
    The DfE has also published information and guidance for EY settings

It looks as though training is also being put on to address this issue...this is the email from Optimus education received this morning ahead of their conference on the subject:

'When researching ahead of this year’s SMSC conference, your colleagues highlighted to me concerns surrounding the introduction of ‘British Values’. They said:
    •“The introduction of British Values needs more clarification”
    •“What is good practice around British Values and what should it look like”
    •“How can we balance new guidelines of promoting British Values with responsibilities to other cultures”
    •“What will Ofsted be looking for regarding British Values” '

Hope it helps
    Thank you for that Simona, that's really interesting. I'm still quite cynical on the whole thing still, it seems. As people have pointed out, Childminders teach values as part of everyday practice, whether these values are "British" or not I can't say. I fear it is just people wanting to look like they are making steps to improve something that is indefinable and unpredictable. This whole development makes me a little uncomfortable, to be honest. I'll keep researching and hope to find something that makes me feel bit better about it.

Simona Guest

Thank you for that Simona, that's really interesting. I'm still quite cynical on the whole thing still, it seems. As people have pointed out, Childminders teach values as part of everyday practice, whether these values are "British" or not I can't say. I fear it is just people wanting to look like they are making steps to improve something that is indefinable and unpredictable. This whole development makes me a little uncomfortable, to be honest. I'll keep researching and hope to find something that makes me feel bit better about it.
    I strongly believe British values compare with those in other cultures...fairness, respect etc etc
    The baffling thing is no one knows what Ofsted will be looking for
    This bit is from the same email...the learning intentions from that conference...explains it all really ...or not depending how you look at it

Optimus Education is more for primary and secondary schools but I would not be surprised to see this sort of training popping up in EY and we certainly need some guidance

Essential learning outcomes on the day include:
    •British Values: Unpick the government’s definition of British Values and your responsibilities moving forward
    •Whole school: Practical strategies to integrate a successful and effective whole-school vision that embodies SMSC development
    •Curriculum: Provide your staff with an effective toolkit of subject specific examples to integrate SMSC development into every lesson – specific primary and secondary sessions available

the changes coming our way are never ending!

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I strongly believe British values compare with those in other cultures...fairness, respect etc etc
    I really agree with this, and this is part of my main problem with the concept. The title itself seems to suggest moral superiority, and I can see it increasing racial tension for some people, rather than decreasing it (as was, I assume, the intention)

I've not yet started taking in any children, but I wanted to have all of the information so that I could do the job to my best ability. The changes are certainly keeping me on my toes in that regard! I only discovered last night that my statutory framework for the EYFS is an outdated copy, just trying to keep up to date with the changes. O_o

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Kirstie I now NEED tablet. Its almost impossible to get down here though , must get MIL to send asap!!
    I tried to make it once with the kids on st Andrews day. It smelt right , but tasted rather odd ( didn't stop the mindees though!) It was that or Haggis , tablet won hands down , though we did have neeps n tatties with dinner!!
    Does this mean Im covering british values then? woohoo
    I love Tablet I use my grandmas recipe it does take a lot of stiring!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I really agree with this, and this is part of my main problem with the concept. The title itself seems to suggest moral superiority, and I can see it increasing racial tension for some people, rather than decreasing it (as was, I assume, the intention)

I've not yet started taking in any children, but I wanted to have all of the information so that I could do the job to my best ability. The changes are certainly keeping me on my toes in that regard! I only discovered last night that my statutory framework for the EYFS is an outdated copy, just trying to keep up to date with the changes. O_o

It changed in Sept 2012 so not a recent change.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    [/COLOR]

It changed in Sept 2012 so not a recent change.
    I was referring to the Sept 2014 framework. The 2012 version was what I was given at my training. As I said this is all new to me, I'm just trying to find my way around everything.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you go a FAIL! You forgot to include the Cornish Farings, Pasties and Saffron Buns. Also the Welsh Cakes and Bara Brith. Guinness a good source of iron in the diet. and such things as Lancashire Hot Pot, Irish Stew, Sing'in Hinnies, Haggis, Ecclefechan Tarts , Eccles Cakes, Nottingham batter pudding, Manchester Tart, Yorkshire Pudding............ Ha! Ha!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast