OFSTED updates updated again
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default OFSTED updates updated again

This is getting ridiculous...we appear to have an update on the recent updates which came out in August

No idea what has changed ...will look tomorrow

All latest updates are 16 October 2014

Framework for the regulation of provision on the EY register
    Ofsted | Framework for the regulation of provision on the Early Years Register

Guidance to registration on the EY register
    Ofsted | Guide to registration on the Early Years Register

Conducting EY inspections
    Ofsted | Conducting early years inspections

2. Likes Winnie liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you x

Simona Guest

The new updates have changed the 7 months 1st inspection to 30...and also inadequate settings will be reinspected within 6 months
    I have not got any further than this...have you found anything else?

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

So there it is, another 2 years before I'll be inspected!!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    So there it is, another 2 years before I'll be inspected!!
    It is totally and utterly frustrating...I share this with you and many others do....Oftsed was tweeted about this but no joy.
    Ofsted say 'within 30 months'...so we cannot be sure what that means

This change was announced by Nick Hudson in a NWorld article recently...and despite concerns being raised...Ofsted took no notice and the change is now in their factsheet...just like that!

There are already cms waiting well over 2 years for their 1st inspection...some get inspected on time...my view ....this is to do with the backlog and nothing whatsoever with 'embedding' good practice ...bad practice can embed too in 30 months

The fallout will be when LAs will deny providers access to funding because there is no grade to go by...have you asked your LA if this has any effect on you accessing funding?
    If anyone has found this out please share and we can address it at OBC
    I sometimes feel Ofsted are defeating their own objectives...but who are we to worry eh???

I just wish Ofsted would pause for breath and allow us to digest one change before announcing the next.

7. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly sounds like a measure designed to reduce their workload in this inspection cycle! My LA allow funding to be drawn prior to first inspection so that is not an issue for me. Regardless of what I think, it can't be a situation families would be happy with surely? Looking on the bright side, I have worked hard for the inspection which was meant to be next month, so I have (I hope - I have nobody to confirm now!) a decent starting point

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Simona,

I received the update email but to be honest thought they were just repeating themselves so never looked at them. I will from now on and check others that have come through before which I thought were repeats.

will it ever end this 'We haven't a clue what we're doing still so just keep up' cycle of Ofsteds updates

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

All these updates make them look incompetent!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    toddlers896 Guest

I've decided that I am not doing any more changes to my paperwork. There are so many changes that by the time I have my next ofsted inspection which will be about 2 years as its apparently every five now their will be more changes so I will do the current ones nearer the time.

toddlers896 Guest

Where do you guys get these update emails from. I don't get any

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by toddlers896 View Post
    Where do you guys get these update emails from. I don't get any
    If you subscribe to Ofsted newsletter they will come right in your inbox...however...usually I get all this from twitter

Here is the link...it is very easy to subscribe
    Ofsted | Ofsted News

There is always someone on twitter who is on the ball and the EY community keep each other very well informed....the Ofsted news follows days after!!

Mum 67...I think the main updates are about 1st inspections and re inspecting inadequate settings
    I will plough through them again tomorrow
    These 3 factsheets are the most important to be aware of ...if anyone has seen the article in PLA Under 5 Mag ...those are recommended alongside the EYFS...know them inside out is the advice from an ex Ofsted manager

Zanacal...good to hear that your LA is ok on the funding.
    The worry is where LAs offer little support and cms are left scrambling for advice
    you also have a good point there....some families may be put off by an inspection being so late...not all .... but we are doing our best to keep updated even though it is getting wearisome

Why can't Ofsted do an addendum when they add bits and we insert the changes rather than having to plough through the same factsheet?
    Too easy I suppose?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Simona, I get these too. They always seem to arrive on a Friday - so just as we want to settle in for the weekend that email is sitting there just waiting.....I have decided to not look until Monday ( day off)'- though DH has said it should be early doors Tuesday ( I always get up at 5.00ish) as it is our 35 th Wedding Anniversary on Monday.
    Anyways, not looking yet as ITS THE WEEKEND.

17. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Thanks Simona, I get these too. They always seem to arrive on a Friday - so just as we want to settle in for the weekend that email is sitting there just waiting.....I have decided to not look until Monday ( day off)'- though DH has said it should be early doors Tuesday ( I always get up at 5.00ish) as it is our 35 th Wedding Anniversary on Monday.
    Anyways, not looking yet as ITS THE WEEKEND.
    I have still to get my Ofsted updates...but you know what?.... Next week will do
    I have looked and there are about 5 or 6 updates...nothing terribly urgent at the moment and right now...I am off to watch Gogglebox...some light relief at the end of the week and a good laugh too!

enjoy your weekend everyone

19. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for these up-dates. Is anyone else really just so tired of all the change. Can they not just please stop and give a break for a couple of months to digest. Moreover, we are on the floor everyday not in an office with time to read and keep up-dating documents. Please can this be passed on to the Ofsted Big Conversation. I do not think I can take any more. Besides the fact it is costing me on ink and paper and I mean seriously costing me. Not to mind I spend more time on the computer than having free time at the weekends and evenings.

Sorry rant over.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle Wiggle View Post
    Thank you for these up-dates. Is anyone else really just so tired of all the change. Can they not just please stop and give a break for a couple of months to digest. Moreover, we are on the floor everyday not in an office with time to read and keep up-dating documents. Please can this be passed on to the Ofsted Big Conversation. I do not think I can take any more. Besides the fact it is costing me on ink and paper and I mean seriously costing me. Not to mind I spend more time on the computer than having free time at the weekends and evenings.

Sorry rant over.
    I agree. I've got to the point that I don't reprint and I don't take any notice.
    What about the childminders that are not on the forum or Facebook etc, who don't get ofsted emails or any support from LA ... They are not going to to know about these constant changes!
    As far as I am aware EYFS2008 was published sept 2008 and then not changed until Aug/sept 2012. That then stayed the same until Sept 2014 ... Although we knew of those changes in advance but since then ... constant changes! Ridiculous that they need to keep changing things every 2 minutes. Doesn't inspire confidence.

22. Likes Wiggle Wiggle liked this post
    Simona Guest

Both the DfE and Ofsted have been making changes since 2010 when this govt was elected....Ofsted will continue to do so because they have a particular agenda and there is no stopping them now.

I personally am under no illusion more changes will come until the General Election....if they win they will continue to make changes ...if they don't the new govt will and Ofsted will march on regardless of which govt is elected!

Judging by the many consultations out at the moment the message is more changes are looming..........both from Ofsted, for EYFS and DfE

If you have read the recent 'open letter' from Sam Gyimah .....TRuss' replacement....and his subsequent criticism of the EY workforce on children's outcomes.....it will have left you in no doubt that more is to come

I have always assumed this forum was a place to share information and offer support to CMs who want to stay independent and updated
    That is why I posted the news here in this particular section for those CMs who want to follow them up

If you do not want to make more changes or reprint you are free to do so but do it for the right reason not just as a sign of frustration

LAs role in keeping us informed has not changed if we read the appropriate legislation and DfE guidance..... but many LAs have opted not to bother and support CMs by sending a few useful links when they get alerted of changes by the powers that be...sad really when LAs need us more than some Cms need their often ineffective support?

In fairness to Ofsted...they have offered their newsletter subscription for a very long time, doing that means updates land in our inbox and cms can then search what they are, read and update practice and policies
    DfE and Gov.uk websites are there too for all to surf and research for updates in what we can spare of our own precious time.....

...alternatively we can look in many other sites to pick up news....this forum and FB are not the only places you get informed.....no idea about FB so cannot comment...others are just as supportive and those who get the updates grateful

Posting in this section means it is for Independent CMs who wish to stay updated and free of any ties to any prescriptive system...if you do not wish to do so then just read and walk away.

As Wiggle Wiggle says cms are very much in a unique situation
    Most of us cannot research and follow all the last minute updates as we do not get 'time out' like preschools and nurseries do for their admin....for us it means evenings and weekends, if we work part time then up to us to do so in our spare time after putting other personal matters first ...as Flora Dora has clearly indicated.

If the updates had been posted by the forum admin there would be just an endless list of thank you for keeping us posted so the reaction here is confusing

Wiggle Wiggle ...I will make sure this gets on the OBC agenda...at least the London one.
    Please send your concerns to your area OBC committee/chair/CM representative...there are sevral all over England.... and ensure they follow it up as I always follow concerns posted here or those I pick up talking to CMs.

I too agree that so much reprinting is getting out of control and the reason I suggested an 'appendix' we can add to the original factsheet.
    As I said there are a handful of small changes added...some very pertinent to cms and they need us to take notice of and act...but that is entirely up to each one of us to decide.

I also agree this is not an ideal situation but... at the moment...is what we have and we must not forget that OBC has proved effective in making the Regulator rethink and reflect on their practice..... above all we must remember what many quote all the time 'Who regulates the Regulator'?

Have a relaxing Sunday everyone
    Last edited by Simona; 19-10-2014 at 09:04 AM.

24. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks, Simona, for putting this on your list for the next Ofsted Big Conversation and I do appreciate the up-dates you are placing on here. I am just frustrated with the regulator that they are continuously changing and moving the goal posts so to speak as it suits them and making so much change in very short spaces of time.

Have a lovely Sunday.

26. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post