fire extinguishers
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fire extinguishers

What is the opinion on fire extinguishers and blankets? I don't have one yet but was wondering if I really need one? In a fire my main priority would be to get everyone out safety not putting out the fire.

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a fire blanket but agree with you, my first priority would be getting out. However, if a child were to catch on fire (heaven forbid!) then a fire blanket would extinguish the flames. Also, fire blankets are now specifically mentioned in EYFS 2014 so Mrs O may expect one.

3. Likes Lal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am of the same opinion!! I do have a blanket, but anything more serious I would just get out and wait for the Fire Brigade!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At my last fire inspection I was told that we get out and call for help.

However, fire blankets have reappeared in the Eyfs 2014 and we know of a couple of members of our IC Facebook group already asked where their blankets are ... so we do need one

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gemma659353 View Post
    What is the opinion on fire extinguishers and blankets? I don't have one yet but was wondering if I really need one? In a fire my main priority would be to get everyone out safety not putting out the fire.
    Good question gemma...it has made me look at EYFS 2014 (3.55) and 2012 3.54)... no change in requirement ... the same words: fire alarms, smoke detectors but EYFS 2014 does have: fire blankets and/or fire extinguishers so either would do?
    In the old days they used to give us a free blanket one when we applied to register!!!

Not sure about this but I would have thought that fire blankets are a MUST if we are registered as a food business?
    don't take my word for it but when a fire officer put my smoke detector up he also suggested the best place for a fire blanket in the kitchen and put it there for me

I have never thought about changing it...

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fire officer came round my house and said I didn't need extinguisher as very hard to use and in any case, their advice is to get out and stay out. I asked about fire blanket and he said that as I have an aga and no naked flame I didn't need one and again they are very hard to use properly. I can see that they may be useful if you need to wrap someone in it but my fire officer wrote on his sheet that he had advised that I did not need one!

I do have it but in utility room.

8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Good question gemma...it has made me look at EYFS 2014 (3.55) and 2012 3.54)... no change in requirement ... the same words: fire alarms, smoke detectors but EYFS 2014 does have: fire blankets and/or fire extinguishers so either would do?
    In the old days they used to give us a free blanket one when we applied to register!!!

Not sure about this but I would have thought that fire blankets are a MUST if we are registered as a food business?
    don't take my word for it but when a fire officer put my smoke detector up he also suggested the best place for a fire blanket in the kitchen and put it there for me

I have never thought about changing it...
    Interesting about you thoughts on needing a fire blanket as a food business. I have never ever heard of an EHO requiring one of a Childminder.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Interesting about you thoughts on needing a fire blanket as a food business. I have never ever heard of an EHO requiring one of a Childminder.
    I have never thought of not having one? I am also sure that in the original questionnaire from the Local Health I was asked about this before I registered as a Food business...but it is while back and as I said I put it there and there it stayed

I was giggling about what Loocyloo was told by the fire officer...no fire blanket and get out...in the training I did a while back the advice was to 'try to put the fire out' if safe to do so...also a fire blanket can be used electrical fires as well.

It seems the advice is different from area to area even when it comes to fire officers?
    on a positive note I can't see the harm of having one...they are cheaper than fire extinguishers...no need to get them checked regularly and very easy to put up...but we will have to think and choose what is best for each one of us.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would advise if you decide to have a Fire extinguisher that you get yourself on a course and learn how and when to use one. They are very difficult to use correctly and you can very easily injury yourself and others if not used correctly and so do more harm than good.

It has always bothered me the general requirement to have a Fire Blanket but not requirement to prove we have had proper training on how to use one. They are extremely dangerous if you don't protect yourself correctly if you have to use one and you need to learn the correct technique.

For my former work as a Catering manager I was sent on a 2 day course to learn how to use Fire Extinguishers and Fire Blankets. I had to do a refresher every 2 years. Using both these things is not for the feint hearted.

Also be aware that if you have either or both these items they should be checked by a professional every year and signed off as safe to use, just as a Nursery, your local Scout Group or a school has to have done. There are companies who do this but they do charge for it.

With the 2012 EYFS I RA and took away my Fire Blanket and was pleased to do so because during each of the 3 home visits I have had done by my Fire Brigade
    during the 10 years I have been in this house their resounding advise has agree with my Escape Policy. Get yourself and the children out, do not fight any fire get us to do that.

Thank you Simona I had not picked up that bit of the revised EYFS I will have to have a look at it because I am very reluctant to replace my Fire Blanket.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I have never thought of not having one? I am also sure that in the original questionnaire from the Local Health I was asked about this before I registered as a Food business...but it is while back and as I said I put it there and there it stayed

I was giggling about what Loocyloo was told by the fire officer...no fire blanket and get out...in the training I did a while back the advice was to 'try to put the fire out' if safe to do so...also a fire blanket can be used electrical fires as well.

It seems the advice is different from area to area even when it comes to fire officers?
    on a positive note I can't see the harm of having one...they are cheaper than fire extinguishers...no need to get them checked regularly and very easy to put up...but we will have to think and choose what is best for each one of us.
    Yes Fire Blankets indeed should be checked annually as any other Fire Equipment.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Yes Fire Blankets indeed should be checked annually as any other Fire Equipment.
    RS...you had me running to check my Fire Blanket and read the instructions again on how to check it regularly
    It does not require an expert to check it ...my one does not but not sure about other makes....I can do this myself as done regularly every year
    The one thing I am not so sure is the refolding of it...it requires some skills in Origami but ...so far...I have managed it!

I agree we need training on the use of fire extinguishers if we choose to have them ...they also cost money when the inspectors come to do the annual check and advice on where to place them away from little children's exploring hands ?

How to use fire blankets...yes it would help to have a refresher
    I understood these training sessions are still available but we may have to pay while in the past they were free?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have self trained on how to use a fire blanket via the numerous videos produced by the fireservice on You Tube.

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

When I worked in a school the fire equipment was serviced annually as mentioned in this post but also I remember a couple of fire blankets being replaced as they were "Out of date according to the British Safety Standards" apparently their was a newer version of the ones we had. Not sure what the difference was because when I asked him he started talking all gobbledy goop to avoid a reasonable answer. I left it with the finance officer to decide if they wanted to query the cost of them being replaced.
    Just a thought incase the writing changes on the front to Times Roman instead of Comic Sans and we get a ticking off for not replacing ours to suit the changes. IYSWIM