OFSTED announce new inspections regime (26 Sept 2014)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default OFSTED announce new inspections regime (26 Sept 2014)

Registered Childminder since
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying, and failing, to get more information regarding not inspecting new settings for 30 months (as somebody who has been registered for 5 months and has been working towards inspection!). Do we know if it applies to childminders already registered or just to those who register in future? Has it been mentioned anywhere apart from the Nursery World article?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    I'm trying, and failing, to get more information regarding not inspecting new settings for 30 months (as somebody who has been registered for 5 months and has been working towards inspection!). Do we know if it applies to childminders already registered or just to those who register in future? Has it been mentioned anywhere apart from the Nursery World article?
    From the response PLA gave in The Telegraph it appears these changes are imminent...they are for CMs as well and include 1st inspection at 30 months.

It was announced in the NWorld article by Nick Hudson but I am not aware of any Ofsted factsheets or guidance that has confirmed this yet...seems strange to announce such change via an article?

I am more than sure that we will hear more as the overwhelming opinion is that people are against this delay...
    lets keep each other informed as best we can

Warning over shake-up of Ofsted nursery inspections - Telegraph
    Last edited by Simona; 29-09-2014 at 11:21 AM.

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Simona.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be so thick! So, am I reading this right? New registrations will have ther first inspections within 30 MONTHS! As in 2 years 6 months? Is that a 'within' that time meaning could be 6 months, could be 2 years, or at 30 months?

Surely that is an awful long time for someone to have their first inspection?

6. Likes Chimps Childminding, Maza liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    Sorry to be so thick! So, am I reading this right? New registrations will have ther first inspections within 30 MONTHS! As in 2 years 6 months? Is that a 'within' that time meaning could be 6 months, could be 2 years, or at 30 months?

Surely that is an awful long time for someone to have their first inspection?
    This is what Hudson says:

''From now on, we will give more time for post-registration inspection. Rather than an inspection within seven months of registration, we will now undertake an inspection within 30 months

This will free up a great deal of time – we estimate up to 10,000 days - and allow us to prioritise those nurseries, childminders and other early years providers that are not yet good or outstanding. It will also give new providers longer to embed their practice so that at their first inspection they will have every chance to show that they are good or better

Of course, if we hear of a safeguarding concern then we will take appropriate action, and that may well include an early inspection. But new early years providers can no longer expect an Ofsted visit within seven months''

yes it is 2.5 years as you say...it also says 'within'...giving time to embed practice ...can also be read 'time to practice inadequately' for 30 months ....back to have to interpret I am afraid....but I think everybody seems clear it means 30 months....not sure how this will improve practice and who it will benefit?

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    This is what Hudson says:

''From now on, we will give more time for post-registration inspection. Rather than an inspection within seven months of registration, we will now undertake an inspection within 30 months

This will free up a great deal of time – we estimate up to 10,000 days - and allow us to prioritise those nurseries, childminders and other early years providers that are not yet good or outstanding. It will also give new providers longer to embed their practice so that at their first inspection they will have every chance to show that they are good or better

Of course, if we hear of a safeguarding concern then we will take appropriate action, and that may well include an early inspection. But new early years providers can no longer expect an Ofsted visit within seven months''

yes it is 2.5 years as you say...it also says 'within'...giving time to embed practice ...can also be read 'time to practice inadequately' for 30 months ....back to have to interpret I am afraid....but I think everybody seems clear it means 30 months....not sure how this will improve practice and who it will benefit?
    Hmm... So you could set up as an early year provider, have all your policies and procedures in place, being working away for 2.5 years thinking you are doign great, then get told... 'Oh you have been doing it wrong for 2.5 years' I know no one likes an inspection, but I see them as a way to improve, I must be odd, although I am nervous I very much welcome an inspection. Just to make sure I am doing it right, that little bit of confirmation lol!

It just seems such a long time, I mean... 2.5 YEARS! Even 18 months is a long time IMO.

What does this mean for those due inspections? I am due my 2nd inspection in Dec. My MIL was due in March, and still nothing. I know a lot of settings in my area who have been due this year and are still yet to be inspected.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    Hmm... So you could set up as an early year provider, have all your policies and procedures in place, being working away for 2.5 years thinking you are doign great, then get told... 'Oh you have been doing it wrong for 2.5 years' I know no one likes an inspection, but I see them as a way to improve, I must be odd, although I am nervous I very much welcome an inspection. Just to make sure I am doing it right, that little bit of confirmation lol!

It just seems such a long time, I mean... 2.5 YEARS! Even 18 months is a long time IMO.

What does this mean for those due inspections? I am due my 2nd inspection in Dec. My MIL was due in March, and still nothing. I know a lot of settings in my area who have been due this year and are still yet to be inspected.
    My understanding is that we will be inspected again 'within' ....pops up every time!!!....this current cycle which ends 2016 either July or August and Ofsted are prioritising those with RI and inadequate

Exactly my point and many agree with you...while good practice can embed in 2.5 years so can bad practice and by that time a child could have been in a poor setting the whole of its EY journey....it beggars belief but who can argue with Ofsted?

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I for one can't wait for Sept to be over. I have never had so many changes happen within a month as I have since starting childminding.

I waited for September to get up and running properly due to personal and work related reasons to make a fresh start. New term, new job, new life so to speak.
    Everything downloaded and read, printed and put into files, organised for once in my life and then right at the end of August (as you all know) change, change, change, update this update that.

Blimey I'm sick to death of my printer. I dread opening my emails to see a dreaded update from Ofsted which I get most days only to be a repeat of the last one most times.

But being new to it I want to stay in touch and updated with everything.

Had a letter about failure of contact for inspection even though I have had and been in contact with prospects. That's another story

I just want my grading to know if and/or what I am doing right or wrong to move on with my business and concentrate on minding lo's which is what I came into childminding for instead of feeling like a great big grey cloud is constantly hanging over my head because another update may have happened that I might have missed.

Will these people ever stop mucking us around for a minute?

Thanks to Simona and everyone else who keeps us sane with their constant advice and reassurance.

11. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    Well I for one can't wait for Sept to be over. I have never had so many changes happen within a month as I have since starting childminding.

I waited for September to get up and running properly due to personal and work related reasons to make a fresh start. New term, new job, new life so to speak.
    Everything downloaded and read, printed and put into files, organised for once in my life and then right at the end of August (as you all know) change, change, change, update this update that.

Blimey I'm sick to death of my printer. I dread opening my emails to see a dreaded update from Ofsted which I get most days only to be a repeat of the last one most times.

But being new to it I want to stay in touch and updated with everything.

Had a letter about failure of contact for inspection even though I have had and been in contact with prospects. That's another story

I just want my grading to know if and/or what I am doing right or wrong to move on with my business and concentrate on minding lo's which is what I came into childminding for instead of feeling like a great big grey cloud is constantly hanging over my head because another update may have happened that I might have missed.

Will these people ever stop mucking us around for a minute?

Thanks to Simona and everyone else who keeps us sane with their constant advice and reassurance.
    Not at the moment Mum67...looks like more changes coming and I cannot believe the EYFS is not to be tweaked again??
    for instance 'british values' I would bet a million ££££ will be embedded in there at some stage

Panic not...we are here to share and support each other and save for a new printer!

I just picked up a few tweets from Nick Hudson...he is saying 1st inspections 'within ...not 30 months'...there we go again with that word!
    He is also referring to an 'enhanced registration process' so providers do not open unless ready...I asked what is the enhanced process....obviously no reply as yet.

Here he goes:
    Nick Hudson ‏@NHudsonOfsted · 19m
    @EYTalking important to remember that inspection will be within not at 30 mths. Allows providers to embed practice

Nick Hudson ‏@NHudsonOfsted · 29m
    EY post-registration: inspection schedule balanced by enhanced registration process. Continue to ensure providers don’t open unless ready.

On the other hand we could have a change in govt?
    Back to the Dept for Children, Schools and Families?
    Tristam Hunt becomes Secretary of State for Education...well at least he is good looking
    and Every Child Matters comes back

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gaawwwdddd Simona I never knew of all the changes that happen each time we change government until my DO told me a few months back, doesn't bare thinking about does it?

I could have an arguement here with Nick Hudson as I was registered a few months ago and stated I wouldn't be setting up until September and now am getting panic letters about failure to contact me as the time-scale is up to have my inspection. I was on holiday when they rang and didn't even know they had done so as I don't have an answer machine. But surely the ringing tone would have given a hint I was abroad when they did ring me (mobile). I'm more mad about the letter because I have been in contact with them since early Sept and have sent them copies of my emails back and forth to prove it. The letter arrived on Saturday, spoke to them today and no mention of the new proposals on the phone yet I come on here and you have kindly updated us. I wonder if Nick Hudson has even told his staff of his proposals.

Oh well onward and upward we go to fight another day of inconsistency and red tape

Thanks Simona your a star

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    Oh my gaawwwdddd Simona I never knew of all the changes that happen each time we change government until my DO told me a few months back, doesn't bare thinking about does it?

I could have an arguement here with Nick Hudson as I was registered a few months ago and stated I wouldn't be setting up until September and now am getting panic letters about failure to contact me as the time-scale is up to have my inspection. I was on holiday when they rang and didn't even know they had done so as I don't have an answer machine. But surely the ringing tone would have given a hint I was abroad when they did ring me (mobile). I'm more mad about the letter because I have been in contact with them since early Sept and have sent them copies of my emails back and forth to prove it. The letter arrived on Saturday, spoke to them today and no mention of the new proposals on the phone yet I come on here and you have kindly updated us. I wonder if Nick Hudson has even told his staff of his proposals.

Oh well onward and upward we go to fight another day of inconsistency and red tape

Thanks Simona your a star
    I have heard about this 'failure to contact' in the past....I think it was Flora Dora who got one of those if I remember correctly
    I have now put this on my OBC list...I do not understand the letter or the tactics really? not sure we are supposed to be glued to our phones all the time and never go on holiday?

have you contacted them to explain? if so what was the reaction...where they understanding? and would you be able to tell me if it is Prospect or Tribal?...not that it matters I suppose
    it would help but you do not have to give details if you don't want to but I will raise it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree at all with the 30 months idea! If you are inspected within 7 months and doing a good job - great, but if improvement is needed it is picked up early, and you can seek guidance and support to improve. Like you said earlier Simona 30 months is a long time to embed bad practice!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    I don't agree at all with the 30 months idea! If you are inspected within 7 months and doing a good job - great, but if improvement is needed it is picked up early, and you can seek guidance and support to improve. Like you said earlier Simona 30 months is a long time to embed bad practice!
    Natiou82....very few people do...in fact so far only one has said yes in favour of this ridiculous policy

I am surprised that cms are taking this so well...this is a major shift in policy announced via NWorld and totally not in the interest of improving care...it beggars belief we are asked to believe the aim of embedding good practice?

This is Ofsted who have messed up when concentrating on complaint inspections
    they have a backlog which is not making things easy so newly registered are now left to their own practice for 2.5 years when we know LAs give little support
    This is Ofsted who have tweaked when... in a cycle... we will be inspected (some providers will end up years without an inspection and totally skip EYFS 2012!!!)

this is Ofsted being made to engage at OBC and realise what was happening was wrong...inspectors were not well trained and using individual interpretations
    Paid up inspections are now a reality thanks to OBC

Ofsted have been criticised for going against the grade given by an inspector at inspection because QA say so?

this is Ofsted sitting at meeting after meeting and constantly changing information, inspections, regime and so forth causing utter confusion

Since the making of the Directors in Ofsted areas ...cms have suffered discrimination
    we are not included in the 'getting good' seminars...despite asking several times no answer comes up...both PLA and Pacey are trying to get clarification on this

Cms are not going to be inspected by an Ofsted inspector because RI in-house inspections is only for the others...this is discrimination
    Cms are still facing conditions from LAs when it comes to funding

I personally would say 12 months is ok before 1st inspection...not 30 but then it will be 'within'...so who knows?

What Ofsted appear to forget is that all this is to do with 'children' and Ofsted are accountable

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I was inspected June 2011, can you explain to me what 'cycle' I am in? Just trying to work out when I might get an inspection (silly I know as they just seem to pick people out randomly round here). I am on a two year countdown as to when I am giving up I can't cope with too many more changes my pensioner aged brain is just not up to it.
    Teacake2

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by teacake2 View Post
    I was inspected June 2011, can you explain to me what 'cycle' I am in? Just trying to work out when I might get an inspection (silly I know as they just seem to pick people out randomly round here). I am on a two year countdown as to when I am giving up I can't cope with too many more changes my pensioner aged brain is just not up to it.
    Teacake2
    Ofsted have said very clearly the current cycle ends 2016...so everyone will be inspected at least once in this cycle
    I will try to locate that announcement but it was recent and it has been discussed here before and cms have confirmed this is correct

I understand it that I/RI providers will take priority over good/outstanding ones

I understand what you are saying because the changes are coming thick and fast and we are all getting a bit fed up but not a lot we can do except keep updated and share

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I have heard about this 'failure to contact' in the past....I think it was Flora Dora who got one of those if I remember correctly
    I have now put this on my OBC list...I do not understand the letter or the tactics really? not sure we are supposed to be glued to our phones all the time and never go on holiday?

have you contacted them to explain? if so what was the reaction...where they understanding? and would you be able to tell me if it is Prospect or Tribal?...not that it matters I suppose
    it would help but you do not have to give details if you don't want to but I will raise it.

I will send you a pm Simona about this.

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

If he's talking about an enhanced registration process then I guess he's saying the 30 months will apply to childminders registered in future, not those of us already registered without this enhanced process?!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    If he's talking about an enhanced registration process then I guess he's saying the 30 months will apply to childminders registered in future, not those of us already registered without this enhanced process?!
    Hudson was involved in a few tweets and mentioned this enhanced process...I asked him but got no reply and asked again if the question was wrong? ...no reply...so no one knows what he is going on about...#EYtalking was involved in the tweets too

I am in no doubt there is something to do with cms there when they register but not worth speculating...if I hear more I will come back
    I have added this enhanced process to my OBC list which is now out of control....soooooo long

22. Likes zanacal, mum67 liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive just been talking the 30 month scenario over with a mum who is going down the cm route.

We have arrived at the conclusion that instead of saying we dont like 30 months we should say what we would like. As far as we could see the change is all about saving them money and also to help them with the backlog they have created for themselves.

My thoughts are that our 1st graded should be 6 months after we sign our 1st mindees. So have our pre reg and agree that we will notify ofsted when we get our 1st children on our books. This phone call should then start the 6 month clock for our 1st graded.

That way we will have enough evidence and experience to be graded and it will alleviate some of the pressure on them to inspect us so quickly.

24. Likes mum67 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast