Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Running another business from your home

Hi All

My husband is thinking of setting up an office based (non childmind related) business at home where I mind, the office would not be near where the children are minded.

Do I need to inform Ofsted about this change? There would be no visitors to his business and he has his CRB.

Does anyone else's partners work from home? if so what are the highs and lows of your experiences??

Many thanks
    Patch x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All my upstairs rooms are used, my DH runs his own small craft business from study / music room as well as garage. If he is working in there then we don't play the piano and are quiet because he is working. He completed all forms on registration as he is retired, its his hobby that earns us a bit of cash - ofsted not informed -but they know he lives here.

I also have another business but ofsted are not aware - it does not affect my childminding business.

I feel that ofsted is becoming a bit of a 'big brother' in some childminders eyes.....surely they do not need to know the intricacies of every aspect of our lives? If affects minding EY then yes but life can carry on without big O knowing everything surely??

3. Likes Maza, SerenasBabies liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    All my upstairs rooms are used, my DH runs his own small craft business from study / music room as well as garage. If he is working in there then we don't play the piano and are quiet because he is working. He completed all forms on registration as he is retired, its his hobby that earns us a bit of cash - ofsted not informed -but they know he lives here.

I also have another business but ofsted are not aware - it does not affect my childminding business.

I feel that ofsted is becoming a bit of a 'big brother' in some childminders eyes.....surely they do not need to know the intricacies of every aspect of our lives? If affects minding EY then yes but life can carry on without big O knowing everything surely??
    Totally agree here Flora Dora...I have run 2 businesses for a long time even before c/minding...nothing to do with Ofsted as it does not interfere with the care of children

Ofsted as 'Big Brother' ...we must avoid that at all costs and draw a very definite line between our private lives and their regulatory remit

5. Likes FloraDora, lollipop kid, Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you asked this question because my hubby has just set up a little office area and is working from home now. I was wondering if I needed to inform Ofsted, but two excellent answers from FloraDora and Simona!

The mindees love going to say "good morning" to him and giving high fives, but other than that we don't cross paths throughout the day because we are all so busy.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks for this post, could have post it myself hubby keeps toying with idea to set up his own business.