Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default childminder agency trial

Noel Quinn (- who support all Devon Childminders) will be running a trial with Devon county Council to trial a childminder agency and will be working with a primary school to do it. Not sure of the details but they announced it today at their conference and said there thinking was if there are going to be agencies then they want them to be modeled on what works for childminders and be in a position to let childminders feed in to what happens.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    Noel Quinn (- who support all Devon Childminders) will be running a trial with Devon county Council to trial a childminder agency and will be working with a primary school to do it. Not sure of the details but they announced it today at their conference and said there thinking was if there are going to be agencies then they want them to be modeled on what works for childminders and be in a position to let childminders feed in to what happens.
    Thank you for updating us on this...can you clarify who Noel Quinn is? and how will he and the school trial agencies when you get more details
    Thank you

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Thank you for updating us on this...can you clarify who Noel Quinn is? and how will he and the school trial agencies when you get more details
    Thank you
    right sorry I didn't make that very clear! Noel Quinn is a company run by Gill Quinn and Caroline Noel. They are the company that has the contract for supporting childminders in Devon through Devon County Council. They took over from Trio Childcare in 2011 (approx) and have Development Workers that visit for support visits and so on - similar to what i believe Pacey do in some areas.

No idea how the school will be involved unless the registration of Childminders will be done under the schools? and the ofsted visit the school and then a selection of childminders. I was really surprised that the trial will be done with Devon county council and a primary school.

I will certainly update as I learn more. Apparantly there will be a big announcement relating to this from DfE on the 26th September (Sorry if I'm repeating information already out there but I wasn't aware of that)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The agencies are being very clever - asking childminders what they want - scaring them that there won't be any support unless they join... I wonder if the selling tactics are working? .....

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    right sorry I didn't make that very clear! Noel Quinn is a company run by Gill Quinn and Caroline Noel. They are the company that has the contract for supporting childminders in Devon through Devon County Council. They took over from Trio Childcare in 2011 (approx) and have Development Workers that visit for support visits and so on - similar to what i believe Pacey do in some areas.

No idea how the school will be involved unless the registration of Childminders will be done under the schools? and the ofsted visit the school and then a selection of childminders. I was really surprised that the trial will be done with Devon county council and a primary school.

I will certainly update as I learn more. Apparantly there will be a big announcement relating to this from DfE on the 26th September (Sorry if I'm repeating information already out there but I wasn't aware of that)
    Thank you Bluelion...I suggest we wait for the DfE announcement on agencies which I heard today is due out soon but no precise date.
    I also will say that the word 'pilot' for agencies has been replaced by 'trials' as you said.

Unless anyone has been chosen by the DfE to trial agencies they will know little of what they need to do or ask
    These LAs who are asking cms what they want appear not to come out in the open...who are they?

Please lets be patient until we have concrete facts and then we can move on.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a worrying thread on the Facebook group (started yesterday) about a pilot starting near Tamworth. They are offering a free Agency 'trial' and so some CMs are signing up 'just to find out'. The OP asked for our questions to take to the meeting and, guess what?! they didn't answer them! but have taken them away to find out more. I suspect they will use these questions to formulate a 'plan' and work out how to suck us all in by offering convincing/considered counter-arguments.

But I am extremely concerned that CMs are been 'sucked in' by a free trial - surely their names are on the list as 'interested/positive' now?!
    :-(

8. Likes tashaleee liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If they offer free trials, I wonder how easy it would be to back out again? If they take away your independence, how do you get it back?

I don't see how they can offer a trial - you're either in, or out.

10. Likes tashaleee, loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SammySplodger View Post
    There is a worrying thread on the Facebook group (started yesterday) about a pilot starting near Tamworth. They are offering a free Agency 'trial' and so some CMs are signing up 'just to find out'. The OP asked for our questions to take to the meeting and, guess what?! they didn't answer them! but have taken them away to find out more. I suspect they will use these questions to formulate a 'plan' and work out how to suck us all in by offering convincing/considered counter-arguments.

But I am extremely concerned that CMs are been 'sucked in' by a free trial - surely their names are on the list as 'interested/positive' now?!
    As I have mentioned an announcement is due out soon after a meeting tomorrow...it appears that agencies will be named

In the meantime any thread on Facebook is not going to help anyone but add to the worries...why do we have no such threads here out in the open and openly discussed?
    not long to wait ...so lets be patient a few days longer until the DfE makes the announcement.

Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

Was that the entrust one Sammy?
    Teacake2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teacake2 View Post
    Was that the entrust one Sammy?
    Teacake2
    Yup I think so.

I am depressed that some have been sucked into a trial with so little information.

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. This is clearly the only way we're gonna find out what it entails.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jadavi View Post
    Thanks for sharing. This is clearly the only way we're gonna find out what it entails.
    Absolutely NOT...sorry to be so very strong about it...my view of course....if established cms want to be guinea pigs they can do as they wish!

The way to find out is to wait for the DfE to announce the trials...then let the agencies 'trial' whatever service they want to provide to cms and not by having cms volunteer to be part of the ttrial and give the agencies 'invaluable' information on what we need.

When the trials are run by January then the agencies will have to report back and readjust their service and maybe trial again.

All the determination about remaining independent seems to have evaporated just because a few LAs appear to be trapping cms as part of the trials?
    It is not the 'way to find out' at all....you never know what is behind the corner or what you may be made to sign or how you will be asked to work.

We will soon know what our LAs intend to offer us in terms of training...some we will have to pay for but there will be plenty of accredited trainers available to us.
    Those cms who get satisfactory will continue to get LA support...start looking elsewhere for yours...remaining independent means more that just info sharing or advice.

No cms jumping into agencies may mean their trials will have to go on longer.

I beg cms to stop guessing or listen to rumours on FB...bring this discussion in the open where the more cms are heard the better and we can get the support of the rest of the sector.
    I cannot comment on anything shared on FB...nobody will take for serious any rumours that start there
    I do not intend to join but an open forum is the best way to share info and keep updated.

Keep your nerve...I know it has been a long time but a few more days or even months will do no harm....concentrate on inspections and the campaign in hand!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some childminders appear to be panicking about missing out on what their LA offers ... others are so worried about Ofsted inspections and the rumours of future high costs to remain registered that they seem to see agencies as a way out ... I am sure there are lots of reasons for joining.

The forum has always said it is here to support all childminders - agency and independent of agency - and we will continue to do that.

of course the forum will NEVER be an agency and we will always offer high quality information and support - where possible for free - we have to respect peoples' decisions - but hope they have carefully thought through what they are doing...

As I said to colleagues on our FB group - be careful about even attending the meetings. The agency might take your presence as a sign that you are interested in joining them... which will allow them to turn round and say 'look how successful we are' and that is a real worry to those of us who are working so hard to ensure independent = successful xx

17. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Some childminders appear to be panicking about missing out on what their LA offers ... others are so worried about Ofsted inspections and the rumours of future high costs to remain registered that they seem to see agencies as a way out ... I am sure there are lots of reasons for joining.

The forum has always said it is here to support all childminders - agency and independent of agency - and we will continue to do that.

of course the forum will NEVER be an agency and we will always offer high quality information and support - where possible for free - we have to respect peoples' decisions - but hope they have carefully thought through what they are doing...

As I said to colleagues on our FB group - be careful about even attending the meetings. The agency might take your presence as a sign that you are interested in joining them... which will allow them to turn round and say 'look how successful we are' and that is a real worry to those of us who are working so hard to ensure independent = successful xx
    Sorry but it is all panic induced on FB...it is not happening anywhere else
    there is no mention of future registration fee so far....if cms are worried they can start savings as we discussed a long time ago this is the price we are willing to pay...PLA et al will be vocal if we are charged out of proportion to our earnings

Inspections are the main worry now..no one here has commented on the fact and good news Ofsted will engage with the #ofstedbigconversation campaign...that is a huge positive step

I am attending a meeting tomorrow called by my LA and just for cms...we will ask lots of questions and ....there it ends

The forum is a source of info sharing and advice but we will need more than that...look at @home childcare and see what is required by cms

Yes we cannot take choice away from cms but why panic and jump into an agency when nothing is known?
    Agencies are not my top priority at the moment until I hear facts and reports from them and the DfE...inspections are

19. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You misunderstood me

What I meant was - waiting for the trial agencies to announce themselves are the only way we are going to find out about it - I was referring to the shroud of secrecy around them. I was certainly not condoning Cms joining them.
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jadavi View Post
    You misunderstood me

What I meant was - waiting for the trial agencies to announce themselves are the only way we are going to find out about it - I was referring to the shroud of secrecy around them. I was certainly not condoning Cms joining them.
    Apologies...easily done as our patience is coming to an end and the secrecy is getting to everyone's nerves!
    I was told by a reliable source that the reason for the agencies not been named was done under 'confidentiality'...the agencies themselves asked the DfE not to name them for fear of cms backlash!!!!
    In fact when asked truss said the very same thing in the House of Commons a while back

That agreed ...the agencies are now coming out and declaring themselves to cms and asking them to volunteer for the trials...makes no sense
    Sooner or later they will be named...let it be tomorrow as expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies...easily done as our patience is coming to an end and the secrecy is getting to everyone's nerves!
    I was told by a reliable source that the reason for the agencies not been named was done under 'confidentiality'...the agencies themselves asked the DfE not to name them for fear of cms backlash!!!!
    In fact when asked truss said the very same thing in the House of Commons a while back

That agreed ...the agencies are now coming out and declaring themselves to cms and asking them to volunteer for the trials...makes no sense
    Sooner or later they will be named...let it be tomorrow as expected.
    I cannot understand the logic (if any) behind this secrecy - it just makes things worse! What have they got to hide?!

Simona Guest

I cannot understand the logic (if any) behind this secrecy - it just makes things worse! What have they got to hide?!
    Everything is shrouded in secrecy...this govt has received more requests on FOI than I can ever remember...even so they continue with the policyof hiding behind dubious reasons for doing so!!
    I feel there is something to hide or all would be open and transparent...it may work in our favour!

Post Thanks / Like

Everything is shrouded in secrecy...this govt has received more requests on FOI than I can ever remember...even so they continue with the policyof hiding behind dubious reasons for doing so!!
    I feel there is something to hide or all would be open and transparent...it may work in our favour!
    Do you think some Agencies will avoid the term (as it has so many negative connotations already) and call themselves something different, like 'Membership Scheme' or 'Support Scheme'?

Simona Guest

Do you think some Agencies will avoid the term (as it has so many negative connotations already) and call themselves something different, like 'Membership Scheme' or 'Support Scheme'?
    Why not? In my personal view it will be highly possible their name will be different as they are allowed to have different 'models'

@Home Childcare, the only ones who were honest from the start about wanting to be an agency, will not change their name...
    I can't wait to see what the others call themselves...most of all I wait for 4Children to see what they call it...yes they are 'trialling' agencies...I have had it confirmed by a few knowledgeable people

I did write to Sue Robb but she just thanked me for my points and avoided all the questions? glad to see that standard letters are contagious!!!

And that is another thing those cms who are willing to volunteer for the trials need to bear in mind...what type of model are they joining? what terms and conditions, if any, do they sign up to?
    I hope they wait and see before jumping into something they may regret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast