need advice on holidays
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation need advice on holidays

I have been a private childminder for the last 18 months when I first started I was unsure about holidays etc so last year only took 2 weeks out of my 28 days im entitled to. I have however asked for a week off to go on holiday in October and have been told by my employer that I cannot go as she has noone else to have the little UN. Surely she should have a back up plan so I can go on holidays or have days off if im ill. However im made to feel I cannot have time off because she has noone else. Surely this is not my problem? Need a bit of advice

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
    I have been a private childminder for the last 18 months when I first started I was unsure about holidays etc so last year only took 2 weeks out of my 28 days im entitled to. I have however asked for a week off to go on holiday in October and have been told by my employer that I cannot go as she has noone else to have the little UN. Surely she should have a back up plan so I can go on holidays or have days off if im ill. However im made to feel I cannot have time off because she has noone else. Surely this is not my problem? Need a bit of advice
    Have you not got clear agreement on holidays in your contract?
    I am unclear what is a private cm?
    Who is your employer? cms are self employed and agree terms of holidays with the parents

As long as you give the agreed notice for your holidays there is little a parent can do and, yes, they need to have arrangements in place when you want time off

Does this help?

Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you working as we nanny? (In her home with her employing you?) If so you can have your full holiday entitlement- you much give as much notice as you have agreed - usually 4 weeks- which sounds as though you joule be fine. And then they have to sort out alternative care/ take time off work. When I nannied I had 5 weeks hols- they chose 2 ad I chose 3 but that was stipulated in my contract.

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What's a private childminder?
    If by your employer, you mean a parent of a child you care for, you should clearly outline your holiday days and fees in the contracts with the amount of notice you will be giving
    I personally only take 3 weeks holiday a year and give parents officially 4 weeks notice before I go away although in reality it's more like 6 months notice and all of this is stated in our contract xx
    Kelly xx

Post Thanks / Like

I look after the one girl. Her mother is who I mean as my employer. We never signed a contract as there was no legal agreement between us I needed work and she needed a carer. But now im confused as to whos in the right when it comes to holidays. Iv been made to feel slightly belitted as she has told me I cannot take a holiday because she has noone else to have the little girl. Iv been told by family to book my holiday and ignore what she has to say as I am entitled to take my holiday when I please ans the fact she has noone else is not my problem. But thought someone on here may be able to help. Thanks

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you an Ofsted registered childminder caring for this little girl in your own home? - if so you are self employed and can take holidays when you like - normally specified on a contract how much notice either person needs to give. If you book the holiday and the parents don't like it then they can either look for someone to care for her while you are away, take time off themselves or give you notice and find someone else. So how desperate are you for the money now - can you afford to lose this work or can you reach a compromise and give more notice.

Or are you a nanny employed to look after the little girl in her own home? - in which case you should be employed and should have a contract of employment which also should specify how much notice you need to give when you wish to take a holiday.

Would recommend you look into doing contracts whichever one applies!

8. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not ofsted registered thats the issue so there are no contracts etc. She has told me the only time I can take my holidays is during the schools summer holidays. As that is the only time she has cover. Which is also costing me a fortune as holiday prices rocket while kids are off school. Im in a lose lose situation. Thanks

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
    Im not ofsted registered thats the issue so there are no contracts etc. She has told me the only time I can take my holidays is during the schools summer holidays. As that is the only time she has cover. Which is also costing me a fortune as holiday prices rocket while kids are off school. Im in a lose lose situation. Thanks
    You are a nanny then? if the parent is your employer surely you have agreed some holidays in the summer? paid I assume?
    Non registered nannies still get holidays...go back and get contracted or better still get registered

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    You are a nanny then? if the parent is your employer surely you have agreed some holidays in the summer? paid I assume?
    Non registered nannies still get holidays...go back and get contracted or better still get registered
    Or unregistered childminder aka "illegal"! if you are working from your own home?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking after the girl in your home without being registered then you are working illegally and so cannot really say you are entitled to anything?

If you are looking after her in her home it doesn't matter whether you are registered or not but you do need a contract to be sorted ASAP so that you can be "entitled" to anything too- it's pretty risky working without a contract as they could just tell you not to turn up etc.

Where do you look after her?