Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

Yes Bunyip
    the request has been made to Ofsted for the number of complaints 'upheld' that triggered an inspection by one of the parties interested in opening a dialogue with Ofsted on the grading these inspections are producing
    If I hear more I will post the info

I agree with you...malicious complaints should be published and the responsible person charged for the fee.
    I want to add this...is there any guarantee that Ofsted won't charge providers in future if they have to do such inspections??? just thinking aloud
    I can't remember where it was, but it was a blog (I got it through here, written by a nursery manager) who was also complaining about malicious complaints. I think they had received a couple which weren't upheld and were entirely false. She wrote that it was time to stop anonymous complaints, that although the complainant should and can remain anonymous to the provider, OFSTED should keep details in case they are malicious, and that it would stop people using "I'll report you if you make me pay my notice" attitude.

I live across the road from a hateful individual, who consistently sends letters to the council complaining about my business, he has complained that parents turn up at dawn blaring loud music from their cars (earliest child starts at 7.30 and parents are lovely), that I am unregistered, not paying tax, shouldn't be allowed to work from my home, that my premises aren't unsuitable, that he can hear children screaming all day (I gained these letters under the freedom of information act) even that he has witnessed rats running from my house. I am an accredited childminder, who has had 2 outstandings. I am dreading the day he catches on he can make anonymous complaints, I will end up giving up, as OFSTED will not know who it is from and will have to investigate each time.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post
    I can't remember where it was, but it was a blog (I got it through here, written by a nursery manager) who was also complaining about malicious complaints. I think they had received a couple which weren't upheld and were entirely false. She wrote that it was time to stop anonymous complaints, that although the complainant should and can remain anonymous to the provider, OFSTED should keep details in case they are malicious, and that it would stop people using "I'll report you if you make me pay my notice" attitude.

I live across the road from a hateful individual, who consistently sends letters to the council complaining about my business, he has complained that parents turn up at dawn blaring loud music from their cars (earliest child starts at 7.30 and parents are lovely), that I am unregistered, not paying tax, shouldn't be allowed to work from my home, that my premises aren't unsuitable, that he can hear children screaming all day (I gained these letters under the freedom of information act) even that he has witnessed rats running from my house. I am an accredited childminder, who has had 2 outstandings. I am dreading the day he catches on he can make anonymous complaints, I will end up giving up, as OFSTED will not know who it is from and will have to investigate each time.
    Oh my! How stressful!
    Can you not send a solicitors letter for harassment with the a letter from the council backing you up?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A childminding friend of mine also ran a bed & breakfast business - most of her weekly guests were workmen or agency nurses at a nearby private hospital - they were gone by time mindees arrived, if other guests did stay and wanted late breakfast then my friends husband worked from home and he would deal with breakfast and checking them out.

This friend had a shared driveway with a neighbour from hell and he hated the fact that sometimes there were "white" contractor vans on her side of the drive from the B & B guests - he would do everything he could to be awkward - blocking in guests, being rude to them etc.

Then he decided he would get at her another way so started putting in false complaints to Ofsted - they just arrived on her doorstep - can't remember what the first complaint was about but the second one claimed that while the mindees were there that my friend was in the hot tub with the workmen! As I said, the workmen were never there during the day, didn't have access to the back garden and she doesn't have a hot tub! Surely Ofsted could see that this complaint was just a farce but no just a few months after they did a door stop inspection they turned up again?

My friend built a large wall down the middle of shared drive and gave up childminding as the B & B was making enough money, luckily this nasty neighbour moved.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TooEarlyForGin? View Post

I don't think we can live and work under fear of complaints and sudden inspections and malicious people intent on causing trouble for much longer.. ..can we?
    I want to be proactive in this area and cms need to be too....speak up!

Are our representing associations and indeed LAs aware of this culture of fear and our anxiety that any day there will be a knock on the door?
    if the system was fair we would not be so fearful but...we know it is not or al least we assume so because we have no feedback on how those inspections go.

Ofsted used to be an inspectorate we could talk to in the past...I have never had a problem with my past 5 inspections, ringing them, getting support etc but now the picture is different
    Ofsted has changed recently and we know who is the role model for their practice don't we?

we also know who HMCI has as a role model himself: the Minister for Education...that is a fatal combination they both disrespect the EY and education workforce, they intimidate by criticism, they change things fast and without consultation, they ignore calls for positive engagement.....in fact there is little difference from their tactics and those of bullies

TooEarlyforgin? I would get a step in front of your possible 'trouble making' neighbour and bully...call Ofsted and warn them they may raise a concerns

A few years ago I had the feeling one of my parents would make a malicious complaint...so I rang Ofsted and warned them...a few weeks later the complaint materialised and was never upheld...it was purely malicious
    Evidence was abundant that the parent wished to make trouble...fortunately that was at a time when those sort of complaints did not trigger an inspection

Ofsted have also promoted this culture of complaining and reporting...they tell the parents all the time to contact them
    They have made a rod for their own back really and a costly one too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Oh my! How stressful!
    Can you not send a solicitors letter for harassment with the a letter from the council backing you up?
    I sought free advice, but slander and harassment is a very difficult one to prove as it it one word against another. The council know us both and have apologetically contacted me, but are duty bound to investigate every complaint. He wrote 6 letters complaining about me putting up my Sainsbury's poster, claiming all sorts of nasties, the council put him off for as long as possible, but politely asked me to take it down because unlike a school they said I wasn't classed as an "educational establishment" I beggared to disagree, but took it down to try and maintain some peace. I have informed OFSTED of some of the nasty claims so they are aware if a complaint is logged it may be malicious, but they told me they would obviously still have to investigate no matter what.

I did send him a "cease and dissist letter" warning that if he continues that I will take it further. But all of the letters I gained from the council had his name blanked out, so although I know its him, I have no "hard" evidence.

We live in a tiny village with around 100 houses, I have a very large garden well away from his property and there is plenty of space around, but it doesn't stop him.

One slightly positive thing is that as I am so aware of him watching me, and possibly reporting me my paperwork is generally up to date and I am extra careful about everything I do to ensure I have backup.
    Last edited by TooEarlyForGin?; 12-08-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12