PLA responds to 'tougher inspections'
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default PLA responds to 'tougher inspections'

PLA have responded with an initial statement and have raised the question regarding re-inspection of cms

PLA says
    ''It is not yet clear, however, whether plans to inspect group settings judged to ‘require improvement’ more frequently will also apply to childminders.
    Speaking at the annual Alliance member event in June, Ofsted director of early childhood Sue Gregory said: “We’re not consulting on where we should inspect childminders more frequently. We haven’t decided — and that’s really because the government is still consulting on the legislation [on childminder agencies]. Once the legislation is set, then we’ll make some decisions about our proposals”(end)

I was there and heard Sue Gregory...I have no interest in agencies so why should we be excluded from quality raising?
    PLA will also respond officially to the announcement ...when I see it I will share

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/sector...nd-pre-schools

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    PLA have responded with an initial statement and have raised the question regarding re-inspection of cms

PLA says
    ''It is not yet clear, however, whether plans to inspect group settings judged to ‘require improvement’ more frequently will also apply to childminders.
    Speaking at the annual Alliance member event in June, Ofsted director of early childhood Sue Gregory said: “We’re not consulting on where we should inspect childminders more frequently. We haven’t decided — and that’s really because the government is still consulting on the legislation [on childminder agencies]. Once the legislation is set, then we’ll make some decisions about our proposals”(end)

I was there and heard Sue Gregory...I have no interest in agencies so why should we be excluded from quality raising?
    PLA will also respond officially to the announcement ...when I see it I will share

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/sector...nd-pre-schools
    Well, I guess that if they do step up re-inspections on CMs with lower grades that is going to impact on how many inspections per year they need to do = cost/resources etc. Until agencies are started (or not) they do not know what their future CM inspection schedule is going to look like- agencies MIGHT greatly reduce the number of inspections they need to do in a year (inspecting an agency + a few spot checks rather than all the CMs on the agency's books individually), but until they are set up (or not) they don't know. So that is probably why they can't say much yet about CM inspections.

ETA: Also, no one know what will happen if a previously 'satisfactory' CM joins and agency- will be agency need to be specially inspected as a CM is satisfactory/requires improvement? Or will agency CMers inspection-slate be 'wiped-clean'? No one knows, so they can not make these decisions about how 'requires improvement' will effect CMers until someone figures out how agencies and inspection grades will actually work in practice.
    Last edited by moggy; 02-08-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Well, I guess that if they do step up re-inspections on CMs with lower grades that is going to impact on how many inspections per year they need to do = cost/resources etc. Until agencies are started (or not) they do not know what their future CM inspection schedule is going to look like- agencies MIGHT greatly reduce the number of inspections they need to do in a year (inspecting an agency + a few spot checks rather than all the CMs on the agency's books individually), but until they are set up (or not) they don't know. So that is probably why they can't say much yet about CM inspections.

ETA: Also, no one know what will happen if a previously 'satisfactory' CM joins and agency- will be agency need to be specially inspected as a CM is satisfactory/requires improvement? Or will agency CMers inspection-slate be 'wiped-clean'? No one knows, so they can not make these decisions about how 'requires improvement' will effect CMers until someone figures out how agencies and inspection grades will actually work in practice.
    Yes it does Moggy and we know Wilshaw has said cms are too expensive to inspect...so are nurseries and preschools, in fact the cost more.
    Ofsted cannot want to raise quality 'FOR ALL' ...the title of the consultation is a joke as it is not for all is it??.... but then excludes cms who are the vast majority simple because the agencies are in the making

We are 'his responsibility' until agencies become the law...he can't sideline cms.
    He says he agrees with those who say 4 years is too long for re-inspection but decides it is ok to exclude cms from this until the govt decides on agencies...they could be delayed as well by the Lords and bad practice allowed to continue...I feel that is bias!

The sad thing is that only PLA and a few providers have commented on this yesterday...PLA is due to publish its response....where's Pacey or UKCMA or anyone else for that reason?