Accreditation for cms: what does it mean?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Accreditation for cms: what does it mean?

The new DfE Statutory Guidance for LAs has changed the way cms can access the funding for 2,3 and 4 year olds from September 2013
    This is purely based on the Ofsted grading they get or already have...not ideal but other possible options have been ignored so far
    It is obvious by the discussions in this forum that not ALL LAs will comply and will continue to have conditions for cms

1. What is 'Accreditation'?

2. why was it introduced?

3. is it necessary for cms to belong to a network to be able to access the funding?

4. what is that an Accredited cm does that a Non Accredited does not do in relation to delivering the EYFS?

5. is it fair that cms with qualifications above Level 3...which some LAs require to be Accredited... should be excluded?

6. is it fair that those cms who have no network at all in their LA should be excluded?

I would like to clarify that I did belong to a Network until 7 years ago
    I did go through the process of Accreditation and was able to draw the funding then
    I am not in a network now...lost my Accreditation (arguable whether someone can lose such 'status' simply by leaving a network...would any cm with a Level 3 lose it if they left their Network??)

Would be great to hear your thoughts on this

Non childminder member
    PARENT
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello I'm a level 3 qualified too i don't get the funding for my 2 year olds yet but was thinking about how I go about it, what's the route I have to go down ? Who do I contact about it ? Is there more work involved than I already do ? I've had some parents ask me whether I will be able to get the funding for their little ones in the future but the answer is I'm just not sure.

Sorry that didn't help with your questions lol :-)
    Just having a brain wonder x......

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r white View Post
    Hello I'm a level 3 qualified too i don't get the funding for my 2 year olds yet but was thinking about how I go about it, what's the route I have to go down ? Who do I contact about it ? Is there more work involved than I already do ? I've had some parents ask me whether I will be able to get the funding for their little ones in the future but the answer is I'm just not sure.

Sorry that didn't help with your questions lol :-)
    Just having a brain wonder x......
    All LAs will soon inform cms on what they are doing regarding accessing the funding...it will vary I am sure
    Do you have a network? do you have a support officer you could email? do you have an EY team? are you accredited?
    To deliver the funding ...that is for 2, 3 and 4 year olds not just 2..you would have to be on the LA list and know how to draw it, they would need your bank details to transfer the money there, there is no extra paperwork as such...in my LA we need to do the census by telling them how many kids in our setting are due the funding and they double check that child is not receiving it somewhere else and claiming twice or claiming the hours in one setting and the rest elsewhere which is allowed as long as the total hours do not exceed 15

Having said that Level 3 is not required by the DfE for the funding but some LAs will probably insist on that condition
    Make a call and come back with what you are told to do

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey I am level 3 qualified and accredited. After my first inspection I was graded a good, then I contacted my coordinator who works for pacey. They also run the children first network. She had to visit me a few times, observe me and I had some work to do for her first. It was like a very mini inspection but without the stress and pressure lol and the paperwork bit was like a very mini sef, talking about your practise and setting.

Once accredited you have to attend the network meetings which are about 2 or 3 a year. They are good though and full of updates. I live in Mansfield and there are many many childminders here. The meetings are held Nottingham way and all accredited cm from nottinghamshire attend. My coordinator told me the other day that there's 3 accredited cm in Mansfield! I was gob smacked. Thought there was a lot more.

But with the new 2yr old funding starting in Sept I don't think you have to be accredited to deliver this funding. But you do have to be to deliver the 3 and 4 yr olds. Well that's how they do it here. It's worth looking into if you've had your first ofsted inspection and was graded a good or above.

Hope that helps xx

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gem wright View Post
    Hey I am level 3 qualified and accredited. After my first inspection I was graded a good, then I contacted my coordinator who works for pacey. They also run the children first network. She had to visit me a few times, observe me and I had some work to do for her first. It was like a very mini inspection but without the stress and pressure lol and the paperwork bit was like a very mini sef, talking about your practise and setting.

Once accredited you have to attend the network meetings which are about 2 or 3 a year. They are good though and full of updates. I live in Mansfield and there are many many childminders here. The meetings are held Nottingham way and all accredited cm from nottinghamshire attend. My coordinator told me the other day that there's 3 accredited cm in Mansfield! I was gob smacked. Thought there was a lot more.
    Our system was exactly like this one described by Gem, but then suddenly a couple of months ago they closed the Network, stopped accreditation etc and changed the rules on FE. Things are all changing all over the country- only way to find out what is happening in your area is to phone your Local Authority/Family Information Service.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

in the 3 models of network I've been involved in, accredited has simply meant reaching a set of standards outside of and over and above either the NCMA standards or the EYFS requirements - i.e. attaining a higher level than just 'meeting requirements'

Hence, they had all the hoops to jump through and porfolio stuff to evidence.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Simona Guest

what happens now that many LAs have moved from the Children Come First model...do the LAs set their own hoops to jump through?
    does it need to include duplication and additional paperwork and another portfolio? what is wrong with the one we have for Ofsted?

So accreditation is raising standards above minimum requirements and therefore good...another thing pacey have also moved from is their standards ...they have something different now called the Professional Occupational Standards (POS)

Did pacey not realise that only a 'handful' of cms (the minority) were becoming accredited and therefore the huge majority were denying parents the free 15 hrs of education keeping parents costs higher?