New Before and after school care plans expected
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default New Before and after school care plans expected

Wonder what the govt's solution will be?
    Looks like the Childcare Commission will get a response soon

BBC News - New before- and after-school childcare plans expected

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

3 hours unregistered care wherever they want to send them ... great!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

well that will make it a whole lot easier and cheaper for the government to get those unemployed parents into childminding then, just tell them to only mind for 3 hours per day
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Great so that is another blow to our businesses then but also who would want an unregistered carer to look after their child - I certainly wouldn't and I know most of my parents wouldn't either.

I worry for the children really what about quality of care and safeguarding???

Sam x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In the report this seems specifically aimed at friends or neighbours looking after children. Are the government really so shortsighted that they think it will only be friends doing this? Surely it's going to encourage just anyone to offer after school care?

The only plus point I can see from our point of view, is that parents wouldn't be able to claim tax credits to pay their 'friends'. That may put some off using unregistered care.

We also have to be confident that many parents will still want registered, insured & first aid qualified staff.

6. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tend to agree with mouse, 3 hours unregistered means parents can call on grandparents (and friends) to cover before and after school but I doubt they would be able to claim tax credits to pay for this, and having reliable care via a registered setting I would think to most parents is worth the additional cost.
    Plus, what about school holidays...?
    As a parent, I wouldn't object to having a friends child over for a day, but every day for 4, 5 or 6 weeks over the summer break? With little or no payment? Not a chance.

I can see the logic behind it, but I'm not convinced the majority of working parents will find it of much use to them on a long term basis.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's to make it easier for schools and others to open after school clubs for 3 hours a day - no registration, no Eyfs, a few guideline rules

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's to make it easier for schools and others to open after school clubs for 3 hours a day - no registration, no Eyfs, a few guideline rules
    Ah, but again, if it's unregistered will parents be able to claim tax credits - seeing as only registered providers can be used

Simona Guest

This govt is intent on 'deregulation'...cms via agencies and others via cutting 'red tape'

I may be alarmist but that is what it looks like to me...only time will tell

There is a lot to consider still...how will unregistered school clubs claim the c/vouchers or whatever comes in to replace it if that is linked to a registered provider only?

july 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really worrying.

On each safeguarding course I have been on, and also as a school governor too, it is well known that most abuse happens in families and/or by close friends.
    This is going to make it easier for these things to continue undiscovered for longer.
    I just feel so sad for our children now. I know first hand what it is like to be looked after by unregistered childminders, when I was very young. I still now remember one who really did not care for my brother and I at all, but at 7 and 4 years old we did not know that she should not treat us like that. She was the adult, and we accepted that.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody else notice very strong parallels between the current ConDemNation's proposals and the moribund New Liebour's utter failure over schools' "extended services"?

Is it just me, or is it just deja vu all over again?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Does anybody else notice very strong parallels between the current ConDemNation's proposals and the moribund New Liebour's utter failure over schools' "extended services"?

Well Bunyip I have been very interested in looking into this as Labour have said they introduced the 'extended schools' programme
    My understanding is that it did not take off that well as schools were not interested...some did a bit of wraparound care but overall the Easter, summer and Christmas care did not materialise...so cms had the children and some holiday clubs were created but they offer the minimum...kids even have to take their own water
    They are cheaper but without any meals provided it is false economy

Labour is now complaining that this govt stopped the funding for extended schools hence the shortage of childcare

I don't buy that and so far I have not heard a word from them about these proposals in MAC...not a single word of warning...after all Labour introduced 'regulation' and inspections...did they not??

And it was also Labour who introduced the Free Entitlement...which has remained stagnant for many many years.
    I remember meeting Ed Balls in 2010 pre election and he was stunned all we got for the FE was £3.50 'is that all you get' he asked?
    They are now looking at universal childcare or at least introducing 25 hours which would make sense for parents who wish to return to work but.....

....when I asked the Shadow Minister for Children, at the start of July when she visited me, who did she think would subsidise this there was not a clear answer....
    At the PLA conference Liam Byrne announced a 'childcare revolution' if they come to power in 2015....I don't think anyone is looking at joining it with them

Deja' vu is certainly correct...we are going round in ever increasing circles!!!

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

My thoughts exactly bunyip. Those schools that are able to sustain such a service still offer it and those that can't either didn't bother when extended schools were first introduced (as they knew they wouldn't be able to make it work) or have since stopped offering wrap around care sure to a failed attempt. Am I missing the point about how this is latest proposal is any different?