Do you want to remain 'independent'?..read on
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default Do you want to remain 'independent'?..read on

I have been furiously writing to the DfE this week and have been asked to send a list of questions about 'agencies'
    I have very few on that matter (I am not jumping into any agency at present for various reasons I won't bore you with) but plenty on 'how we can remain independent and what guarantees we have that no barriers or unfair competition stand in our way'
    My letter was a complaint, in a way, about the drip drip information and also finding out things via social media and those sitting around the DfE table, rather than an 'official' announcement

These are the extracts from the letter I received on 20 March:

''I apologise for not replying earlier. I checked on our systems after David last sent a response and noticed that there was a letter from you to the Department that we were about to reply to, so I didn’t want to duplicate what that letter was saying. To make things as simple as possible, it is probably easiest if you direct any questions on childminder agencies to me (as I am leading on the policy) from now on, and either I or somebody in my team will respond.

We are speaking to a lot of people interested in childminder agencies. To be clear, this does not mean only speaking to those who agree with the principle, but also those who have concerns and those who are opposed to the policy. We have obviously had a range of correspondence with you about the issue (and others), and I was grateful for your thoughts on agencies and issues of regulation when we met last year. We have heard from a wide range of people and organisations on this, and other issues, and all of those views have been fed into our thinking.

From the comments you have made so far, it seems clear that you are not a supporter of the proposed agency model. I absolutely respect that position, and recognise that some other experienced and successful childminders may take a similar view. That is why we are only introducing agencies on a voluntary basis. You will continue to be able to register independently with Ofsted. You will continue to be individually inspected by Ofsted.

But other childminders have expressed an interest in working within an agency model, and we feel it is right that we give them that opportunity by introducing childminder agencies.

Can I suggest that, to move things forward, you let me have a list of the specific questions on childminder agencies you would like answered, and I will respond to them? I cannot promise that you will agree with all of our positions, but I hope at least that I can be clear on what we plan to do and why''. (end)

I would like to ask you to help Sarah and I to compile a list from this forum and another one so we get as many questions as possible and not just mine.

You may have questions about agencies but it is best to focus on 'independence'... just state what your worries are in a few words...such as : where do I get support, training, how to draw funding etc etc

We need your input in a short time ...lets say a week so we can put them in order and I will send them off
    Thank you for your help and time.

Registered Childminder since
    sept 93
    Post Thanks / Like

How will parents find independent childminders in the future who will they get their information from agencies ?ofstd ?other ?

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Can they guarantee that there will be no barriers to parents receiving financial assistance to pay for childcare (such as childcare tax credits and vouchers and the new proposed tax reliefs ) in using an independent childminder.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

ok.

how will new minders be able to afford to set up if they have no choice but to use an agency that will take commision on their fees, NOT offer them subsidised training courses as the LA's now do? no-one will want to register. How does that meet the target to increase CM numbers.

how will childcare costs for parents be reduced if agencies are considering charging parents fees. How does that meet the target to reduce childcare costs for parents.

if to reduce parent fees agencies charge lower rates but then take a commission, childminders will not earn enough to make a living and will leave = how does that meet the target to increase CM numbers

if I remain independent, how much will an ofsted inspection cost me?

if I remain independent and one big agency or lots of local agencies operate or have the monopoly I wont' get any enquiries. How will I find work? Again, more childminders will end up leaving the profession due to sustainability issues.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Will the current £35 annual Ofsted registration remain or be increased?

How much will inspection/re-inspection fees be?

Will the government be encouraging parents (via tax/tax credits/other incentives) to not use independent minders?

6. Likes watgem liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with above questions and here are a few more that i would like to add

Questions for how Independent childminders will operate:

1) How long will we be able to remain Independent?

2) What guarantees can be made that we will not be under graded by Ofsted? My big fear is that when it comes to Ofsted inspections that Independent Childminders will not get more than a satisfactory as this will be one of those unwritten rules (just like new childminders get now from some Ofsted Inspectors). I fear that the government will push for all agencies to be graded good/outstanding and against our unfair scores of satisfactory we will be classed as no longer able to stay independent.

3) What will our annual costs be for Ofsted registration? Are there any plans in the next 5 years to charge us for our individual inspections?

4) How will the DfE/Ofsted make sure that all Independant Childminders receive relevant updates about changes to EYFS, Inspection, etc if we no longer have any LA support?

5) As an Independant Childminder if I get satisfactory with actions, who will ensure that I am offered the correct support?

6) Currently it is in LA’s interest to make sure that anybody with low grades/actions is given the correct support as it appears on their stats for their area. Who will have the overall interest in Independent Childminders?

8. Likes watgem liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When will information be made clear to child minders? Between now and September i would expect a clear plan to be laid out by our LA giving us our options, we cannot make a decision based on press reports.

Who decides where, when and who runs these agencies?

If (as i suspect) commission is to be taken from childminders, how are we expected to 'lower' the cost of childcare?

How can an agency hold policies & procedures on multiple childminders when every one of us is individual?

In the interest of safeguarding our children, how will an agency being inspected (and then periodically spot checking it's members) in any way highlight issues within child care?

Training: will independent childminders be valued by LA and be offered the same support as agency childminders or will it be one rule for them and another for us?

Simona Guest

Thank you...very valid questions and all recorded
    Keep them coming!

Post Thanks / Like

For future new CMs or those thinking of starting up but can't right now for whatever reason.....

Will the only route into Childminding be via an Agency? If so - why is this the case?

What if there is a support network in local areas run by Independent Childminders (and possibly other organisations such as PACEY local) where new CMs could be helped and mentored in the same way that the LAs have?

If it is only possible to start up via an Agency, will there be a minimum tie-in time, before the new CM could become Independent? Could this be specified?

My biggest concerns have already been covered:
    Consistency for Ofsted inspections (as I already feel they are not consistent, particularly for new CMs)
    Accessing the same financial benefits for parents as Agencies.

12. Likes watgem liked this post
    Simona Guest

I have replied to the DfE half an hour ago about the questions they would like us to send them and highlighted other matters too about remaining independent...looks like it was appreciated

I have explained we are gathering questions from many cms across forums

I have just got a reply now and yes they look forward to the questions...a small step forward I feel?

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

After a bit more thinking here are a few more of my questions

7) Will the FIS still have our details on their files when a parent rings up to find out about local childcare?

8) Due to the new Qualifications that are due to commence from Sept 2014 Early Years Teachers and Early Years Educators, how will Independent Childminders be able to access them? Can you ensure that we will be able to access the funding for these courses through the same funding as other Early Years Practitioners? A big part of agencies is to encourage progression for the Childminders how will Independent Childminders be able to do the same?

9) Is there any consideration about how Independent Childminders will be differentiated from Agency Childminders, such as via different job titles? We currently are able to say we are Ofsted Registered Childminders, however an agency Childminder would not have had Ofsted to their premises so would not be able to state the same.

10) How will the DfE/Ofsted talk about the differences of an Independent Childminder and an Agency Childminder when they produce factsheets for parents? I think it is very important that this is discussed early so as to prevent the bias being one way. Just because I don’t join a agency it does not make me any less of a childminder. I may get all my support and courses from my own pocket and research.

11) I am assuming that Ofsted will produce results in the future that are broken down on grading for Non Domestic Premises, Domestic Premises and Agency Regulated Childminders. How to a parent will it be made clear the differences between them all?

12) Ofsted is concerned that there is too big a gap between Childminders and other settings, How will they ensure then that Independent Childminders grades increase if all local support is removed?

16. Likes watgem, JaneyB liked this post
    Apr-08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

As a self-employed 'independent' childminder in calculating any taxable profits, would deductions from childminding income expenses which are directly attributable to childminding still apply? (BIM52751 - Care providers: Childminders: )

18. Likes watgem, loocyloo liked this post
    feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard that childminders joining an agency will be employed by the agency and therefore lose their self employed status, if this is true, how will equipment/resources/food/fuel etc be paid for? will existing parents be able to continue with their current terms and conditions, or will they have to accept those of the agency? As an Independant childminder I am able to set my own hours and fees which reflect my circumstances, will this still be possible for agency childminders? Will parents choosing an Independant childminder still be able to use tax credits and/or childcare vouchers towards the cost of childcare?

20. Likes JaneyB, lizann liked this post
    mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow this is all so mind boggling!! What is the proposed benefit of setting up childminding agencies... From reading all the is there aren't any??!?!?!! When are all these changes meant to be coming into place? X

22. Likes watgem liked this post
    Simona Guest

There has been a statement by the DfE about cms being able to choose 'employment status'
    It will be entirely up to the agency to decide or for the cms to decide whether to opt for an agency where they can retain self employemnrt or otherwise....therefore it is tricky at present to know
    There has been no clarification as yet on contracts...will you have one with an agency if self employed?
    If employed you will go under PAYE and possibly not able to claim the perks or equipment expenses...they do not apply if you are employed but you will get holidays, sick pay and a pension

Tax credits should have nothing to do with cms but c/vs will....all changes under universal credit and the new childcare tax free proposal in 2015

Lottie if you are self employed nothing changes whether you are independent or under an agency that allows you independence

Please read all the articles available ...it will stop some of the confusion and allow valid questions to be put forward for clarification

What is in it for agencies?...it will depend which type of agency they want to be ( and there will be many models...confused? oh yes)...some will make money and have profits...some will be non profit (Social Enterprise) but they will ned to generate funds to pay directors and anyone employed to deliver the services...once all that is paid for they can reinvest the money into the business (that's what they are first and foremost)) or donate it to charity and start again
    keep informed..it will avoid confusion and worry
    Last edited by Simona; 22-03-2013 at 08:37 PM.

24. Likes loocyloo, Bushpig liked this post
    Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

how will the agencies be regulated, if there is no standard model surely the quality of agencies will vary?
    Paula

26. Likes watgem liked this post
    aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Tax credits should have nothing to do with cms but c/vs will....all changes under universal credit and the new childcare tax free proposal in 2015

Sorry , whats c/vs, I dont get this sentence ?

28. Likes watgem liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix2010 View Post

Sorry , whats c/vs, I dont get this sentence ?
    CVs - childcare vouchers.

Will they be available for independent childminders or will some voucher companies only work via agencies?

Until we have clarification of the situation in the future it's just one more question people are asking which is leading to uncertainty and causing probably unnecessary - but justified until we have an answer - concern.

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

With regards to making it easier for parents to find childcare. ..

Will there be a limit on how many agencies run in one area/town?

Or will they have to phone each agency? - with diff polices, pricing and availability

And then they will still have to call/ consider independent CM in their area - how will this make it easier for parents ??

Will agencies fees be capped by the Gov to meet the target of lower fees or will they be able to charge what they like?

Will childminders be able to join several agencies? - with regard to filling vacancies

And how will this work with regards to diff employment status and polices/ procedures and training?

I have many questions about safeguarding both agency and Independent CM but dnot know how to word them. ...

There is currently funding available for both new n current CM - regards startup cost n training. Will this still be available or will this be diverted to agencies only?

A statement rather then a question.

Surely all an agency will be is our current LA team with a different badge on. I am concerned this is just a get out clause for the Gov to shift the blame to private companies if anything goes wrong eg safeguarding - standards- spending n budgets .

Question?

With a failing agency ie major safeguarding failures what will happen to all good CM under that agency and the children if the agency is closed/suspended. For example will the CM still b able to work, as they will not be covered by liability insurance, polices n procedures.

How will this then go on to effect the good CMs reputation once being associated with a failing agency.

With regards to these concerned will agency CM be protected along the same lines as NHS workers with regard to new whistle blowing laws.?

31. Likes watgem liked this post
    Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh Tori some good points there ive not seen posted before. makes me worry about the agency model on lots of different levels. not good for the children families and cms on so many levels :-(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast