Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Family members visiting

Hi,
    just a quick silly question but I have family visiting this weekend and next and they will be arriving during the hours that I will be childminding. What should and shouldn't I allow them to do around the house? Should they hide in their room until everyone has gone home? I was going to ask them not to appear until the children have gone to school. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as they are not left alone with the children there shouldn't be a problem,
    if they do sit in the same room as the mindees just remind them about hot drinks
    etc, explain to mindees who they are and how they are related to you and your family.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When my dad stayed, ofsted said it was fine for two weeks only. Had to write a letter to parents etc, and obviously not leave him alone with the children

nov09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

personally i dont do visits when i am minding, i dont feel it is fair on tthe children i am paid to look after and dont really know how i could do a visit and ask all questions, show them round etc and be looking after mindees.
    as a parent i wouldnt like my childminder to be having random strangers round for visits. but thats just me!

nov09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

lol just realised you meant your own family! thought you meant a family to mind! div!
    i had my mum over from florida few months ago and she came round a few times with mindees here. i just checked with parents first and didnt let the visit change my nromal day. should be fine if parents are happy with it.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also be sure to tell the little ones parent at drop off that they will be arriving, to save things getting lost in translation later when the child talks about them!

As others have said just don't leave them alone with them, and introduce them to the children.

And make sure your family realise you will be working and that you are not going to be making them cups of tea and catching up till later (this last tip comes from personal experience :roll eyes: )

Pipsqueak Guest

My family live 300 miles away and often come to visit.

Anything over 4 weeks then they need their own crb
    Good practice to let your clients know
    Best and needed practice to let your visitors know that they can't change nappies, take a child to the toilet, tell them off, watch their language/watching on tv etc. They and you need to safeguard THEMselves.

there is no need for them to hide away

just explain that you are working during certain hours and you have a professional duty.

In 10 years I have never had a problem

I think its good for children to get the full home based experience of having visitors

Post Thanks / Like

And make sure they know not to leave things lying around especially tablets or other medication.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!