Water - is there such a thing as too much?

Hybrid View

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VINASOL View Post
    Well, as the title says really - would you be concerned if your mindee drank lots of water?

Mindee (just turned 24m) is always drinking water. This morning already she's had two bottles (330ml each) and says 'juice' all the time.

I first said to mum it's a good thing to drink lots of water, but now I'm a little wconcerned...what do you think?
    Ok please don't shoot me but I think it could be the bottles she is after not the contents. Bottles give a security and soothing aspect. Try switching her to a cup and see how that works out. (I had a mindee who would drink for England when she was given bottles or those cups that are really bottles in disguise (the ones with the clear silicone lids that squish up just the same as a teat does). Once she was changed to a normal sippy cup her drinking levels were normal.

Other than that, yes drinking too much water can be bad for you and can be signs of ill health.

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    Ok please don't shoot me but I think it could be the bottles she is after not the contents. Bottles give a security and soothing aspect. Try switching her to a cup and see how that works out. (I had a mindee who would drink for England when she was given bottles or those cups that are really bottles in disguise (the ones with the clear silicone lids that squish up just the same as a teat does). Once she was changed to a normal sippy cup her drinking levels were normal.

Other than that, yes drinking too much water can be bad for you and can be signs of ill health.
    I was just going to suggest this. If she has a baby bottle she may just like the sucking aspect, I would switch to a sippy cup with a hard top and see how it goes from there.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post

I agree with that. Sometimes children just like to be sucking something. I would try switching to a cup & see how that goes.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree to get rid of the bottles. Use a sippy cup like a Tommee Tippee instead.

Too much water can dilute the body salts and electrolytes and can be extremely dangerous.

Make the bottle change first - then monitor the amount she drinks to see if that has had any impact. If not it would be worth recording how much she is drinking in a 24 hour period and for the parents to seek advice from their HV.

may 11
    Post Thanks / Like

might be worth a trip to the doctors, this sounds like my sister when she was little my mum took her to the doctors and found out she was Diabetic.