Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: spitting

Registered Childminder since
    feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default spitting

Not sure if this has been asked before but any ideas on how to deal with this please? Today my poor DD was sitting down doing homework on the laptop, 2 year old mindee comes up to her, starts making a noise which unfortunately was the start of it but I just didn't think anything of it, thought he was clearing his throat, then spat it all in her face and punched her. Both of us completely taken aback, so she went off to clean up and I stood there speechless like a lemon. I told mum at pick up and she said he's being it at home too. I really don't know where to begin with this mum puts him on the naughty step but I explained I'm not allowed to, any suggestions please because mum and I want to work together on this

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As soon as he starts making that noise in his throat then place your hand over his mouth and say very very sternly ' NO NO NO' Get down on his level and maintain stern eye contact.

Very firmly remove him apart from the other children but with near you.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is nothing wrong with turning the naughty step (a negative) into the thinking place (a positive) where he can sit and consider his actions and the effect they have had on others.

He will be copying someone - I think that needs to be explored.

hugs to your dd xx

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah I was told by the Ofsted inspector last year that childminders are not allowed to use naughty step/time out/thinkng place etc in any way shape or form even though its used by all preschools, nurseries and parents!she didn't tell me what we could use but said inspectors would not look favourably on childminders who use this, even though I have never used it, after the incident I had with the aggressive child/threatening parent I asked all the preschools what they use, and the community nursery had told all of them that they had to get the child stood/or sat quietly next to an adult for a minute per year of their age, as all my mindees went to same preschools I incorporated this into my behaviour management policy for 3's and up in order to avoid confusing children by having one rule in one place and another somewhere else, but Ofsted said no, we can't do it, so am stumped because all the parents use it and preschools still do, so now I have had to put in my policy that if a child is aggressive etc I will have to call parents to collect. I have emailed eyso for advice but she's on holiday, so I've just been watching/listening like a hawk today and just warned everyone not to get too close to him, am really hoping its just a phase

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

DD says thanks for hugs, I was very proud of her as she didn't shout or lash out xxx

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use time out which isnt a certain place but just away from the situation. For the older children i do sometimes use the bottom step of the stairs if their behaviour has been consistnatly bad, after reminders. The kids dont see it as naughty step they see it as time to calm down, reflect and think about joining in better
    Ive always used it and im not particulary interested in what Ofsted say LOL
    From what Ive read on here they dont know their **** from their head

For a 2yr old I would just give a firm NO at his level and watch him like a hawk. Just say 'We do not spit' in a firm voice and keep going