Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nappy Recycling

Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nappy Recycling

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone uses any nappy recycling companies or if anyone has any good recycling tips!??

Our bins in Bristol have been reduced so I am rethinking all my recycling options. We already recycle plastic, tins, glass, food waste, cardboard/paper.

I am thinking about using a nappy recycling service, this is a chargeable service and I plan on checking with my parents to see whether they are happy to pay about £3 extra a month to pay for the service, what do you think?

Also anyone got any advice about these services? I've heard of Go Green Bottoms, but thats it.

Many thanks!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We are also have a limit to the amount of rubbish we can leave out here as from April. I've told parents I will be sending their childrens nappies home with them at the end of the day
    I didn't know about nappy recycling. If it was cheap enough I would be interested in it.

xxx

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We dont have nappy recycling here but we do have limited bin space, I send nappies home with Lo's at the end of the day! Just make sure you double bag any soiled ones

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband had suggested sending home dirty nappies, but I had laughed it off - are parents really alright with taking home the nappies?!

I've since found out Go Green Bottoms dont cover my area yet.

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't dream of sending home my mindees' dirty nappies - I'm assuming we're talking disposables? If I was struggling to fit them all in the bin I'd probably get one of those chimneas and burn them.

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't send them home at the end of the day, but if you don't have a choice then what are you to do.

I think £3 a month sounds reasonable, explain to the parents about the bin waste being reduced so options are either £3 a month nappy recycling or nappies will have to be sent home at the end of the day. I'm sure they would be OK with the £3 a month.

Hope you get it sorted xx

Oct 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone uses any nappy recycling companies or if anyone has any good recycling tips!??

Our bins in Bristol have been reduced so I am rethinking all my recycling options. We already recycle plastic, tins, glass, food waste, cardboard/paper.

I am thinking about using a nappy recycling service, this is a chargeable service and I plan on checking with my parents to see whether they are happy to pay about £3 extra a month to pay for the service, what do you think?

Also anyone got any advice about these services? I've heard of Go Green Bottoms, but thats it.

Many thanks!
    Thanks for this post I had never heard of Go Green Bottoms before I have just called them and they do service my area. They actually collect on my normal bin day too.I have wanted to recycle nappies for a while and exhausted all my options about a year ago so happy I can now go ahead and do my further green bit.

Jan 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Nursery Nurse
    Post Thanks / Like

Just looked at Go Green Bottoms' website. As we are home based do we count as Home or Business clients?

Also how many nappies are covered by the cheaper package. I get through about 42 to 45 per week.
    Last edited by appleblossom; 31-01-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Adding another sentence.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not that I want to send home dirty nappies but as I get through about 40 a week and come april we will only be allowed to put out 1 x Black sack per week I won't have any other option. 40 nappies take up a lot of space .

xxx

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    It's not that I want to send home dirty nappies but as I get through about 40 a week and come april we will only be allowed to put out 1 x Black sack per week I won't have any other option. 40 nappies take up a lot of space .

xxx
    Same here! I have all littlies atm so getting through about that too
    I have no other choice but to send them home

Jan 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Nursery Nurse
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I contacted Green Bottoms and they don't cove my town at the moment

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

We use cloth nappies here

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who are having your collections reduced, have you checked with your local council to see if they have nappy sacks. We only have rubbish collected once a fortnight and we have inexcess of 50-60 nappies per week. We can by White sacks from out our council for 10p each and they can put next to our bin. However I'm looking for an alternative before the summer as 120 nappies by collection day is going to stink At the moment the white sack is kept out side in a dustbin which is fine in the winter.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Playmate View Post
    For those of you who are having your collections reduced, have you checked with your local council to see if they have nappy sacks. We only have rubbish collected once a fortnight and we have inexcess of 50-60 nappies per week. We can by White sacks from out our council for 10p each and they can put next to our bin. However I'm looking for an alternative before the summer as 120 nappies by collection day is going to stink At the moment the white sack is kept out side in a dustbin which is fine in the winter.
    I'm scared of calling the council incase they decide I'm a business and want me to pay for business rubbish collections

xxx

June 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just looked and it says £12.00 per month so £3 per week. Couldn't find anywhere though to search what areas they cover.
    Jules

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jules12Wed View Post
    I've just looked and it says £12.00 per month so £3 per week. Couldn't find anywhere though to search what areas they cover.
    I emailed Go Green Bottoms and they replied that day to say which areas they cover.

I phoned my council to request a bigger bin as I work from home, but they said it would be chargeable service through a private company.

I dont seem to find a company that covers the Bristol area at the moment. Unless the ones who take incontinence stuff would, but I doubt they recycle.

I just dont think I can ask parents to take them with them, some of the nappies are just horrendous!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
    I emailed Go Green Bottoms and they replied that day to say which areas they cover.

I phoned my council to request a bigger bin as I work from home, but they said it would be chargeable service through a private company.

I dont seem to find a company that covers the Bristol area at the moment. Unless the ones who take incontinence stuff would, but I doubt they recycle.

I just dont think I can ask parents to take them with them, some of the nappies are just horrendous!

I havent asked my parents I've told them . They are all aware of the new reduced rubbish rules coming in so I hope they understand. Mind you I'm not sure they realise that I'm serious. Maybe they think I'm only joking

xxxxx