Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    True

Do you remember nappy liners?

Angel xx
    Only from when my brother was a baby. Disposable nappies were in when I had my eldest child, so I didn't ever use cloth nappies.

But even disposables weren't like they are now. There were so many different brands...but they all leaked and meant you had to do a complete clothes and bedding change at east once a night!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Only from when my brother was a baby. Disposable nappies were in when I had my eldest child, so I didn't ever use cloth nappies.

But even disposables weren't like they are now. There were so many different brands...but they all leaked and meant you had to do a complete clothes and bedding change at east once a night!
    Oh happy days NOT

Angel xx

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know what you're saying. My post was more of a memory of the good old days! I remember when baby wipes did come out and they were awful. Even the 'luxury' ones were rubbish in those round containers. And so harsh! I'm sure you could use them for stripping paint

We get through so any baby wipes here as my own children use them for everything - cleaning shoes, footballs, bikes...the lot! I think it'll be a shock for them if I ditch baby wipes completely in favour of cloths.
    baby wipes are great for getting marks out of the carpet!

Cx

onceinabluemoon Guest

Do you know what, after reading all through this you have me converted!

I shall go back to using disposable nappies and pampers wipes and save myself a lot of work, time and money. Although I have to admit the thought if having poopy nappies stinking out my bin for two weeks makes me want to hurl! How on earth can people find washing a poopy wipe disgusting but think having a bin full of crap is ok? *shudders* )

None of my kids want kids of their own so I don't know why I am worrying so much about the environment for other people's family's - must be mad, lol! Thank you for saving me x

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    Machine loads - I do one extra wash a day, I have a large drum machine so all the nappies, wipes etc fit in one wash. Yes it is bad for the environment in that it uses electric but I use biodegradable washing liquid (Method) which is kind to the environment so that minimises the danger, and we air dry our washing as much as possible, again minimising impact on the environment. Vanish do a bacterial cleaner if you were *that* worried about germs.

Wipes containers - When cheeky wipes first came out they were in a tub which was exactly the same as the square 'lock and lock' tubs so you could use one of those. (Ice cream tubs are not waterproof so would leak when out and about)

Chemicals - If you think reusing nappies and wipes is disgusting, google 'chemicals in baby wet wipes' and 'chemicals in disposable nappies' and see what you are choosing to put next to/on your baby's skin, then come back to me with your thoughts.

It's all a very personal choice I think and I can appreciate the 'ugh' factor but wonder how you feel once you know what is in wet wipes and nappies...
    I have looked and tbh its no different to all the chemicals we eat, wash our clothes in , bathe in ect. Chemicals are all around us these days even in our furnishing's and in all fairness the children are not eating the nappies are they. I know some people differ but me and my siblings all had wet wipes and disposable nappies and our bottoms are fine, we all grew up eating non- organic produce and smart price chicken nuggets and again we are fine.
    I do try to be environmentally friendly, only tumble drying when needed, minimizing my washing load, having those little plug things that you click a button and everything goes completely off, not just on standby, Recycling 90% of things ect but using disposables is something I personally refuse to budge on. The only main issue with these chemicals being close to baby's bum is if you leave them in the disposable nappy for hours and hours. Again this is my personal view and I honestly think fair play to those of you who use reuseables but it is just not for me. It holds not health risks to my children to use disposables so I will continue to do so. xx
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

During the week I do at least 3 loads of washing a day, with more at the weekend. One dark load, one light load and one towels, bibs, flannels etc. The wipes would fit in with the towel load, so wouldn't cause any extra loads.

I have tried bio degradable wipes, but to be honest, they're not very good. I find I use far too many wet wipes and would need far fewer cloth wipes.
    oh my goodness! 3 loads a day? I have just done my 2nd load of 5 a weeik and that includes bedding and towels for the mindees, bedding for 4 of us and towels and clothes. I couldn't get 3 loads a day dry never mind feeling the house was a laundry I admire you for coping with much.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    oh my goodness! 3 loads a day? I have just done my 2nd load of 5 a weeik and that includes bedding and towels for the mindees, bedding for 4 of us and towels and clothes. I couldn't get 3 loads a day dry never mind feeling the house was a laundry I admire you for coping with much.
    There are 7 of us, plus bibs, towels etc for mindees, so it soon adds up. Our bedding makes up extra loads at the weekend.

I do have to use the tumble drier. Even in the summer I can't get all of our washing dried on the line. I'm not going to stop using the drier, no matter how much electricity I use, so I do look at other ways of making environmental differences - recycling, fabric food wraps instead of food bags or foil, no carrier bags, mooncup etc etc. I can't change the world, but i can do my little bit

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There are 7 of us, plus bibs, towels etc for mindees, so it soon adds up. Our bedding makes up extra loads at the weekend.

I do have to use the tumble drier. Even in the summer I can't get all of our washing dried on the line. I'm not going to stop using the drier, no matter how much electricity I use, so I do look at other ways of making environmental differences - recycling, fabric food wraps instead of food bags or foil, no carrier bags, mooncup etc etc. I can't change the world, but i can do my little bit

Gosh mouse I don't envy you but that's 3 loads of washing a week per person! I would go mad if my lot produced that much washing for me a week. I do one load of mindee stuff on a Friday night and 3 - 4 loads for the family which including bedding and towels. I don't have and never have had a drier. I put things on the line or on airers in the playroom at the weekend. They usually dry overnight but what is left tucks into the Utility room during the day.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Gosh mouse I don't envy you but that's 3 loads of washing a week per person! I would go mad if my lot produced that much washing for me a week. I do one load of mindee stuff on a Friday night and 3 - 4 loads for the family which including bedding and towels. I don't have and never have had a drier. I put things on the line or on airers in the playroom at the weekend. They usually dry overnight but what is left tucks into the Utility room during the day.
    I think it's the convenience of a drier that produces more washing. I'm sure if I didn't have a way of drying it all then I'd never manage to do that much and I'd be making them all wear the same clothes all week! 3 loads of washing each only amounts to one dark load, one light load and a load of towels each a week. School uniform or work clothes, casual clothes, dance clothes, footy kit, sports clothes, PJs - it soon adds up. Then a clean towel each day, 2 if it's a sports day.

Looking at it like that I think I probably get off lightly

Post Thanks / Like

Then a clean towel each day, 2 if it's a sports day.
    A clean towel each per person per day?! That is insane and completely unecessary! In our house, each person has their own towel (Bath sheet) and it is used all week! Then each of the three bathrooms has a hand towel which is washed once a week!

Either my family are really unhygienic or your family are complete germophobes!

We do one dark, one white and one coloured wash per week (there are 3 of us) and then bedding fortnightly. And that is enough to get through!

Our washing maching broke before christmas and only got fixed on Tuesday just gone.... we'd all ran out of clothes and still only had about 10 washer loads including bedding and 3 weeks worth of towels!

Oh and we all share the same bath water each day (one after the other, not all at the same time!) we're on a water meter. Plus we'd never have enough time or hot water for 3 baths to be run first thing in a morning!
    Last edited by littleelm; 08-01-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

And just to stay on topic. I will definitely be using resuable nappies when I have my own babies.

One baby will use an estimated 8000 nappies from birth til potty. Each nappy takes up to 500 years to break down in landfill... that is 4,000,000 years for each babies quota of nappies! Horrendous!

sep-09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

During the week I do at least 3 loads of washing a day, with more at the weekend. One dark load, one light load and one towels, bibs, flannels etc. The wipes would fit in with the towel load, so wouldn't cause any extra loads.

I have tried bio degradable wipes, but to be honest, they're not very good. I find I use far too many wet wipes and would need far fewer cloth wipes.
    Sorry Ive not finished reading the thread so not sure if this has already been discussed but does this mean you'd wash them with the bibs? I was a baby of the 80s and so maybe I take the throw away culture easier then some of my mothers generation, what do you do when you go out to toddler groups etc? do you take the nappy content and wipes home with you to put into the cleaning bin?

Im all in for saving the enviorment tho

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleelm View Post
    A clean towel each per person per day?! That is insane and completely unecessary! In our house, each person has their own towel (Bath sheet) and it is used all week! Then each of the three bathrooms has a hand towel which is washed once a week!

Either my family are really unhygienic or your family are complete germophobes!

We do one dark, one white and one coloured wash per week (there are 3 of us) and then bedding fortnightly. And that is enough to get through!

Our washing maching broke before christmas and only got fixed on Tuesday just gone.... we'd all ran out of clothes and still only had about 10 washer loads including bedding and 3 weeks worth of towels!

Oh and we all share the same bath water each day (one after the other, not all at the same time!) we're on a water meter. Plus we'd never have enough time or hot water for 3 baths to be run first thing in a morning!
    lol! That really made me laugh

I take it you don't live in a household with 4 teenage boys? When you do, come back and tell me that one bath towel will last a whole week and you'd happily jump in a bath of water after they'd all be in

I admire your thrift, but prefer my nice, fresh, fluffy towels

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get eco wet wipes and eco bab nappy bags from waitrose i use them.

Post Thanks / Like

lol! That really made me laugh

I take it you don't live in a household with 4 teenage boys? When you do, come back and tell me that one bath towel will last a whole week and you'd happily jump in a bath of water after they'd all be in

I admire your thrift, but prefer my nice, fresh, fluffy towels
    Oh I have to agree with you mouse

We are the same I just love clean towels .... for one thing after a bath / shower wouldn't they smell hanging around drying?

I am always washing and drying

Can not believe how long this thread has got

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chez View Post
    Sorry Ive not finished reading the thread so not sure if this has already been discussed but does this mean you'd wash them with the bibs? I was a baby of the 80s and so maybe I take the throw away culture easier then some of my mothers generation, what do you do when you go out to toddler groups etc? do you take the nappy content and wipes home with you to put into the cleaning bin?

Im all in for saving the enviorment tho
    No, now that you've pointed it out, I probably wouldn't put them in with the bibs! It's a new thing for me, so I'd have to learn what worked as I went along.

If you google reusable wipes it shows how you soak them after use & how you can use them when you're out. It's not much different to having to carry a cloth nappy home with you. The Cheeky Wipes website explains it well.
    People seem to think the wipes will be full of poop, but when you're not using convential wipes, you do tend to be more thorough about making sure most of it has already been wiped off with the nappy.

I'm still thinking about switching, so will update you all if i do

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Can not believe how long this thread has got

Angel xx
    I know! All I did was ask if anyone had any recommendations for reusable wipes?

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mouse at teenagers - try living with a farmer for a DH - no way would I share his water or even his towel. He has his own hand towels in the kitchen and downstairs loo too as even when he washes the dirt still comes off on them!

His work clothes take a wash on their own - cow poop! yuck!!

Roll on the summer when I can get the washing outside to dry more

for the record I do loads of washing, can't bear it hanging about but have been known to put DDs (17) clothes neatly folded back in her room without washing as they are in the basket longer than on her body

Bath towels we have one each, washed as often as I have the space to dry them. Sometimes just on a 'freshen up' cycle
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know! All I did was ask if anyone had any recommendations for reusable wipes?
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast