Any recommendations for reusable wipes?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

During the week I do at least 3 loads of washing a day, with more at the weekend. One dark load, one light load and one towels, bibs, flannels etc. The wipes would fit in with the towel load, so wouldn't cause any extra loads.

I have tried bio degradable wipes, but to be honest, they're not very good. I find I use far too many wet wipes and would need far fewer cloth wipes.

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 01
    Post Thanks / Like

I may look into these although cheeky wipes look on the expensive side I like the idea of the bamboo wipes for hand and faces as they are supposed to be softer, I don't have the luxury of a downstairs bathroom and like the idea of using these on hands and faces on the LO's rather than having to keep going upstairs or having a bowl of water in the Kitchen. I may have a look at other companies and see if there is a cheaper option, but still want the quality.

The boxes are a good idea as well but am sure a plastic box would do the same job

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by solly View Post
    The boxes are a good idea as well but am sure a plastic box would do the same job

An old, lidded ice cream tub would work just as well

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Humm, Im not convinced. I couldn't do it not with the nappies mindees have. The change as quick as possible types. I can see that its about as bad as washing poo'y pants but still I don't fancy putting it through my washing machine. My son will be in nappies until he's old enough to potty train himself maybe about 11?

As for the moon cup. Why not go on the depo injection/cirazette pill and have no periods at all?? No cost of tampons/pads or a mooncup to empty and no stressy period every month! Sorted.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

I've cut my down to one load a day which goes on overnight as the electricity rates are cheaper than during the day, it's a struggle but on weekends I do two loads

onceinabluemoon Guest

Machine loads - I do one extra wash a day, I have a large drum machine so all the nappies, wipes etc fit in one wash. Yes it is bad for the environment in that it uses electric but I use biodegradable washing liquid (Method) which is kind to the environment so that minimises the danger, and we air dry our washing as much as possible, again minimising impact on the environment. Vanish do a bacterial cleaner if you were *that* worried about germs.

Wipes containers - When cheeky wipes first came out they were in a tub which was exactly the same as the square 'lock and lock' tubs so you could use one of those. (Ice cream tubs are not waterproof so would leak when out and about)

Chemicals - If you think reusing nappies and wipes is disgusting, google 'chemicals in baby wet wipes' and 'chemicals in disposable nappies' and see what you are choosing to put next to/on your baby's skin, then come back to me with your thoughts.

It's all a very personal choice I think and I can appreciate the 'ugh' factor but wonder how you feel once you know what is in wet wipes and nappies...

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I used washable wipes and nappies on my little one and wouldn't change a thing. apart from being environmentally friendly it saves so much money. I due my second baby in July and don't have to buy anything for it. I'l be breastfeeding as well so extra costs to our family for at least 6 months!!!
    Got to be a bonus when on maternity leave.

I used the cheeky wipes and although they seem a little expensive I glad I got them.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Old muslin squares cut down and hemmed make really cheap washable wipes, dry quickly too. I stored them dry and used them with just plain water from the tap. I used them when I was using washable nappies as it was just so easy.

Post Thanks / Like

RIGHT! I know what I'm ordering monday morning.

Never ever heard of these, tbh I've been looking into cloth nappies as well. Yet my DD is 18 months so not sure if it'll be worth it now but she's been getting really bad cases of nappy rash
    You can buy 2nd hand cloth nappies which will save you some money, if you get a one size nappy you'll still get another year's wear from them til she's potty trained so in the long run it'll save you money.
    If you want t o buy new then these look really good value. You can use cheap microfibre clothes from the pound shop for extra boosting.
    You may find just by switching to cloth wipes that her nappy rash calms down though.

When mine were in cloth nappies I only did 2 extra washes a week, short 40min ones at 60c. For me the environmental impact of 2 short washes is preferable to the manufacture of disposable nappies and throwing 30nappies, wipes and nappy sacks a week into landfil.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Right I am no expert on this subject but have read through with interest. There is no way that I could use reusable wipes but when my own two were little I didn't use baby wipes I just used cotton wool and water and I would have thought that this is kinder to the environment that using baby wipes and possibly washing reusable wipes

Cx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    Right I am no expert on this subject but have read through with interest. There is no way that I could use reusable wipes but when my own two were little I didn't use baby wipes I just used cotton wool and water and I would have thought that this is kinder to the environment that using baby wipes and possibly washing reusable wipes

Cx
    Baby wipes didn't exist when my oldest children were little, so I used cotton wool and water. I found it ok when they were babies, but not so good as they got bigger. I'd get through loads of cotton wool and it wasn't very convenient if you were out somewhere without a water supply

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Baby wipes didn't exist when my oldest children were little, so I used cotton wool and water. I found it ok when they were babies, but not so good as they got bigger. I'd get through loads of cotton wool and it wasn't very convenient if you were out somewhere without a water supply
    Those were the days hey

Angel xx

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

love it that we can chat about poo and periods on here lol! not many places or people you could talk about this too

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Baby wipes didn't exist when my oldest children were little,
    They were not around when my DS was a baby either.

I used a flannel on his hands and face and Cotton Wool on his BTM, which was a pain, cos the cotton wool used to stick to him
    Needs to Zumba

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey I'm all for baby wipes (use them all the time) just thinking that cotton wool and water would be an alternative for all those who are wanting to be more environmentally friendly

Cx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    Hey I'm all for baby wipes (use them all the time) just thinking that cotton wool and water would be an alternative for all those who are wanting to be more environmentally friendly

Cx
    I know what you're saying. My post was more of a memory of the good old days! I remember when baby wipes did come out and they were awful. Even the 'luxury' ones were rubbish in those round containers. And so harsh! I'm sure you could use them for stripping paint

We get through so any baby wipes here as my own children use them for everything - cleaning shoes, footballs, bikes...the lot! I think it'll be a shock for them if I ditch baby wipes completely in favour of cloths.

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Reusable wipes are cloths that you use, then wash. Along the lines of cloth nappies and cloth sanitary towels.
    It saves money in the long run and is better for the environment.
    Just stumbled across this thread - thought it was an April fools joke until I remembered we're still only in January.
    It seems like things are turning full circle now and people want to go back to the good old days - I can remember my mum boiling up my baby brother's nappies in a very big saucepan on the gas hob.(and I'm going back over 40 years)
    I have the greatest of respect for anyone trying to do their bit for the environment but I'm not sure if it is environmentally friendly to re-use such wipes if they have to be sterilised and washed using electricity etc.
    I can remember the days before 'disposable' wipes/nappies/cloths/kitchen roll and believe me, they were inventened for a reason. Personally I think it's all about getting a balance between convenience and what's good (and not so good) for the environment.
    I do try to save energy/resources as much as possible but also value the convenience and hygiene of disposables as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you're saying. My post was more of a memory of the good old days! I remember when baby wipes did come out and they were awful. Even the 'luxury' ones were rubbish in those round containers. And so harsh! I'm sure you could use them for stripping paint

We get through so any baby wipes here as my own children use them for everything - cleaning shoes, footballs, bikes...the lot! I think it'll be a shock for them if I ditch baby wipes completely in favour of cloths.
    Good old days ? Cant say that I would say that ..... I hated using cotton wool , I cant touch the stuff anyway its horrible and having to use it after changing baby was horrible

I hated the wipes when they came out too do you remember how thin they were

Bad old days I would say

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post

I hated the wipes when they came out too do you remember how thin they were

Bad old days I would say

Angel xx
    Oh yes, and how they ripped when you tred to pull them out of the tub, which in itself was a two handed job, so baby had crawled away before you'd done half the job

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Young uns these days. They don't know how easy they've got it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast