Any recommendations for reusable wipes?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You use them instead of baby wipes. You can dampen then with water or a solution of water and baby bath or essential oil. You either keep the solution in a spray bottle and spray it on as needed, or make up a solution in a tub and put the wipes in it until they're needed.
    Ahhh I see what you mean

You learn something new every day

It sounds a good idea though but would they work out expensive?

Angel xx

onceinabluemoon Guest

I use Cheeky Wipes, I've had them for ages (about 8-12 months I think) and they are fab! They did cost a bit to begin with (about £25 if I remember right) but at £2.50 a pack for pampers wipes, ten packs later and they are paid for and as my lovely mindees like to shred the pampers wipes out the packet and throw them all over the floor, that doesn't take long, lol. (I was going through 3 or 4 packs a week!!)

I bought the bamboo ones rather than the terry ones as they are supposed to dry faster and be softer on baby's little bots. I planned to get more but have never needed them. I also use cloth nappies on mindees so the whole thing just goes in the nappy bucket and then in the washing machine with sanitizer etc.

I have heard there are cheaper ones but they don't seem to have such great reviews. I think it may be one of those times when you get what you pay for..

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

even for pooh's I'm not goin there.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to sound as I am probably going to come across but that sounds absolutely disgusting to me!? Correct me if I am wrong but once you have wiped a dirty bottom with one of these wipes, you have to have them hanging around the house until you put them throught the washing machine? I would much rather wipe a bottom, put it in a nappy bag along with the nappy and get it all out to the wheely bin asap? I understand what you are saying about the environment but I will pass on that one.

Tescos value wipes - less than 50p and still kind to bots

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mummyme View Post
    I don't mean to sound as I am probably going to come across but that sounds absolutely disgusting to me!? Correct me if I am wrong but once you have wiped a dirty bottom with one of these wipes, you have to have them hanging around the house until you put them throught the washing machine? I would much rather wipe a bottom, put it in a nappy bag along with the nappy and get it all out to the wheely bin asap? I understand what you are saying about the environment but I will pass on that one.

ROFL, no I don't have it hanging around the house, i have it in a nappy bucket which is filled with sanitising fluid. Exactly the same as with cloth nappies.

Since the birth of humanity until the early 70s people have been doing it this way and nobody has come to harm. Then in the 70s (I think) came disposable nappies and disposable wipes and now our landfills are full of stuff that will take 300 years or more to degrade... To me it's an easy choice, but I can appreciate your squeamishness x

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree, surely for the wipe to cleaned hygincly enough to be used again then.it would have to be boiled washed which in its self is bad for the enviroment!

Reusable face cloths ok, but bottom wipes is a no no for me!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it does sound disgusting .........

My two sons were born late 70s I had nappies and nappy bucket,I don't think there was disposable nappies till I had my third son?
    I had no choice it was what everyone did and no one came to any harm,if your clean and regularly change and clean solution etc.
    I hated it though.

If I had a choice I would never go back to that,some things happen and improve for a reason and now looking back I know why

Angel xxx

I def would not go back to that way of living,some things happen for the best

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    even for pooh's I'm not goin there.

All sounds too gross for my liking We might as well keep a pile of fleeces next to the toilet and then chuck it all in a nappy bin and then wash them.
    If it's good enought for the kids it's good enought for adults.....
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You lot do make me laugh

It's like using a mooncup or reusable sanitary towels - you need to try it for yourself in order to understand that it's not as yucky as you think.

With reusable wipes most of the poop is wiped off first with the nappy, which you tend to do more thoroughly when you haven't got a pile of wet wipes next to you.

LOOPYLISA Guest

What a funny thread

Makes me think of my dd's face wipes she leaves hanging round the bathroom, goodness knows how many times she would use them if i didnt throw them away

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    You lot do make me laugh

It's like using a mooncup or reusable sanitary towels - you need to try it for yourself in order to understand that it's not as yucky as you think.

With reusable wipes most of the poop is wiped off first with the nappy, which you tend to do more thoroughly when you haven't got a pile of wet wipes next to you.
    I googled mooncup, im not sure tbh but like you say you do need to try these things first

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

OOOOH Dont think I could use a mooncup although the idea is brillant and i am quite green. eco nappy bags, eco cleaning products etc.My two older children had terry toweling nappies with a liner and i used cotton wool and water for cleaning bottoms(early eightys) but dont think i would use reusable wipes now but I would admire anyone for doing so.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post
    I googled mooncup, im not sure tbh but like you say you do need to try these things first
    I was really sceptical at first, but now I couldn't imagine using anything else. I do actually think it's more hygenic than other products.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

funnily enough mouse, ive been looking in to these and reuseable nappies this week!
    the cheeky wipes seem to be the best option, the kit is about £37 i think? that includes everything you need though.
    What's for you, wont pass by you

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used the ones from weenotions.co.uk for my DS - they're fantastic. One side is flannel, the other fleece. 3 years later they're still going strong. I ued washable nappies with him too, so it all got cleaned together - although I only dry-pailed (no buckets of sanitiser). But with modern technology and a decent washing machine with a 60 degree wash everything came out sparkling clean.

It means you aren't putting unnecessary chemicals near your DC's sensitive bottoms - if you've ever used some of those chemical wipes on your face, they really sting! And they can be used to get rid of most stains and also mould! Not good to be on a baby.

Aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

PS the kits are v expensive for what you get. I had 40 wipes (I think, as washed every 3-4 days) and kept them in one of the pampers wipes pop up boxes I got with a bounty pack. You add 1cm of water and 3-5 drops of lavender oil (naturally anti-bacterial and about £5 for a bottle that lasts about a year + from holland and barrett or ebay), stick a pile of wipes in and you're good to go.

Oh and I can recommend mooncups too! Think how much you save in not buying tampons each month. Much more sanitary and they don't shed horrible fibres inside you.

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Cloth wipes are also so much more effective at removing poo than disposable wipes too!

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used them on my 2. I had cut up towel and soaked it in cannomile tea with couple of drops of olive oil. kept for as long as in a pampers wipes box. Now though I struggle to keep up with my families washing so not sure about adding wipes into the mix.

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

RIGHT! I know what I'm ordering monday morning.

Never ever heard of these, tbh I've been looking into cloth nappies as well. Yet my DD is 18 months so not sure if it'll be worth it now but she's been getting really bad cases of nappy rash

Oct 10
    Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

So how much washing are you doing? as washing machines are just as bad for the environment. With two children of my own and face flannels i wash enough without adding to the pile.

Can you get bio degradable wet wipes that you throw away that wont fill up rubbish sight forever.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast