Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Allowing children to eat food in shops before paying for it

Just wondering if any of you let your mindees do the above?

Personally I always make them wait until we have paid for the items but I am well aware that my views are often considered to be old fashioned these days.

June 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, in my mind it's theft and a definite NO! I never let my own do it and wouldn't allow it from mindees. It may be old fashioned but it's honest!

Jacqui

Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply Jacqui

I am only 47 but often made to feel like a moaning old bat because I was brought up with very strong principles of right and wrong.

xx

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to let my son do it, anything to keep him quiet in the shop, it's not theft as I always paid for things he ate!

Jan2000
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply Kelli x

sep-09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im only 28 and definatly not, no child in our care is ever going to starve because they didnt get their snack before paying for it.

I really dislike seeing children tuck into items before they are paid for

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i depends, if it was out of a large packet with the barcode on or the top of a baguette or a breadstick from a pack, then yes, if they are individual items (i.e. a single banana) or pack of sweets then no, as it can't be weighed anymore or correctly priced.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

04 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I will give a box of raisins from a multipack, more so with my own children when they were little and i was doing a big shop - I would bring some from home when I had some. I would never give something that could not then be paid for at checkout - eg grapes by weight. Its not theft until you leave the shop without paying so I have no problem with it as long as the eaten item can be paid for.
    [I]Sharon
    *****proofed the house but they're still getting in!!

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    i depends, if it was out of a large packet with the barcode on or the top of a baguette or a breadstick from a pack, then yes, if they are individual items (i.e. a single banana) or pack of sweets then no, as it can't be weighed anymore or correctly priced.
    Yeah that's how I always did it with my son, he wasn't allowed to eat individual grapes for example but he was allowed to eat a packet of apple slices as they could be scanned still.

I wouldn't let mindees do it as I don't know what their parents allow in that situation.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No. It's just rude. There's no need for it. Another part of our modern 'get what we want the second we want it' culture. Won't kill a kid, or adult, to wait 5 minutes to pay for something. Wouldn't kill an adult to tell child to stop screaming or they won't get it at all either!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    No. It's just rude. There's no need for it. Another part of our modern 'get what we want the second we want it' culture. Won't kill a kid, or adult, to wait 5 minutes to pay for something. Wouldn't kill an adult to tell child to stop screaming or they won't get it at all either!
    You made me laugh, but I agree with you!

I must be a right tartar 'cos I don't even let the kids touch anything (unless we are buying it) let alone eat it!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No I dont. Never let my children do it wont let a mindee do it neither.

Never saw the need for it personally
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    I agree absolutely! We would and a lot more children would be a lot better off if this happened as well.

What about all the snacks eaten and not paid for, well we are all paying aren't we. All the open empty packets you see as you go around. It is a very selfish instant gratification, attitude.

I teach all my mindees that it is stealing to eat something before you have paid for it.

Wasn't there a case recently where a mum was pulled up in a supermarket for letting her child eat a banana?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    You made me laugh, but I agree with you!

I must be a right tartar 'cos I don't even let the kids touch anything (unless we are buying it) let alone eat it!

Miffy xx
    im the same , ''we look with our eyes not our fingers'' is a favourite phrase! My own boys and now my mindees are never allowed to touch things in shops ( unless they are helping count apples into a bag or passing something we are buying of course)

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    Yes, I do the same.
    There's a choice: have your lo crying and you not "giving in" for the sake of rules your lo (I'm talking pre verbal toddlers here) won't understand and your lo ending up being so upset or angry that it starts to get to that point of embarrassment... Or give them an organic bar, smoothie, banana, box of raisins etc out of a multipack to keep everyone happy and to be able to shop in peace! The people at checkout have never commented - unless it was to offer to bin the empty wrapping. It's not theft, it's paid for.
    When bf and / or pregnant I always get thirsty and sometimes my bottle of water is empty before I get home - if this is the case and I am seriously in need of a drink I will open the bottle before getting to the tills if I'm doing a big shop. It's either that or impending headaches and dizziness.
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to add I don't only do it not to be embarrassed but because I don't think it's right to upset a child bc of your views that aren't even law or rules and that staff aren't bothered about.
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nature'sKids! View Post
    Yes, I do the same.
    There's a choice: have your lo crying and you not "giving in" for the sake of rules your lo (I'm talking pre verbal toddlers here) won't understand and your lo ending up being so upset or angry that it starts to get to that point of embarrassment... Or give them an organic bar, smoothie, banana, box of raisins etc out of a multipack to keep everyone happy and to be able to shop in peace! The people at checkout have never commented - unless it was to offer to bin the empty wrapping. It's not theft, it's paid for.
    When bf and / or pregnant I always get thirsty and sometimes my bottle of water is empty before I get home - if this is the case and I am seriously in need of a drink I will open the bottle before getting to the tills if I'm doing a big shop. It's either that or impending headaches and dizziness.
    If you told them no from the off then they wouldn't be screaming.
    If they know screaming will make you put it back most children will actually be well behaved or you could always take the approch of including them in your shopping like asking them to look out for stuff.

It may not be stealing but it is NOT yours until you have paid. I bet you wouldn't like it if one of your mindee's happily helped themselves to the contence of the cupboard and mum's reply was ' oh he must have been hungry, never mind its not like I haven't paid for it'. And you wouldn't just ask mum to pay for it you would probably tell the child off. It is pretty much like taking and asking after in a round a bout way. I think its rude and show a blatant lack of respect or manners.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done it with my children and I have done it with childminded children. If we are shopping and it is getting close to lunch time I will give them a packet of crisps from a multi pack. I always pay for my goods so no theft

If the children were having fruit for their snack and it is my fault we are in the supermarket then I would weigh and pay for it and then they would eat it whilst I am shopping.

Shopping with children takes me ages (nearly 3 hours once) because we are looking and touching various foods (usually the fresh foods and fruit isles as there is so much there and it changes all the time) so sometimes we do hit snack/meal times that were not planned.

I wouldn't advocate being in a shop and a child screaming for chocolate - that would be a definate no no
    Debbie

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to say i would never allow anything to be eaten or touch,another pet hate people who stand and read papers,magazines then put them back,i am truly a moaning minnie but principles are principles

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Never did it with my own and cetertainly wouldn't do it with a mindee. Any way my mindees are to busy finding things when we are shopping (the odd occaision I take them) to worry about eating I would always make sure they have eaten and drunk before we went and preferably not when when they are tired

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast