Allowing children to eat food in shops before paying for it
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderbella View Post
    Comparing it to breaking into a house and taking personal possessions.... how ridiculous is that .... have you ever been burgled???
    Thank you. And yes I have been burgled. It made me afraid to go to bed for a very long time.
    Last edited by onceinabluemoon; 18-12-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes an so have I ! And no it wasn't very nice for me or my children and we still do not like to be in the house on our own! Somehow I don't think the staff or managers of the supermarkets would feel like this because someone opened a packet of sausage rolls and gave 1 to her children and then paid for them!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow this is certainly a hot topic!

Personally no I would never let a child eat anything before paying for it.

Many habits are set at an early age I just wonder what might happen in the future when a child is old enough to go shopping alone, will they pick up a packet of crisps as they wander around browsing because it is something they have always known? Would that be considered acceptable too?
    Pauline x

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I too agree with everything Cinderbella has said.

To say that you should be organisied and take a snack with you is all well and good - some of us like to to things ad hoc. Not every single minute of my day is planned out to the minute - sometimes i make things up as i go along so trips to the shop can happen unplanned!!

I do not and have never and wil never give a child - whether they be my own, a minded child , my sisters kid, a friends child etc - something to stop them having a tantrum. I will however let a child chose a snack or drink and eat it whilst going round on a unplanned shopping trip if i think they are hungry or thirsty.

I am an honest well brought up member of society and if my biggest crime is to eat a sausage roll before i pay for it ( and then pay for it) then i think i'm doing ok in this life.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    Wow this is certainly a hot topic!

Personally no I would never let a child eat anything before paying for it.

Many habits are set at an early age I just wonder what might happen in the future when a child is old enough to go shopping alone, will they pick up a packet of crisps as they wander around browsing because it is something they have always known? Would that be considered acceptable too?
    Yes as long as they pay for them before leaving.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by little chickee View Post
    Yes as long as they pay for them before leaving.
    We will just have to agree to differ on this then

I'm just thinking we could take this further couldn't we, what if you were feeling very cold? Would it be acceptable to go into the shop, take the tags of a cardi, wear it while you shop, then pay for it as you leave?
    Pauline x

Post Thanks / Like

We will just have to agree to differ on this then

I'm just thinking we could take this further couldn't we, what if you were feeling very cold? Would it be acceptable to go into the shop, take the tags of a cardi, wear it while you shop, then pay for it as you leave?
    I'm with you Pauline!!! In my opinion if you haven't paid for something its not yours!!!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    I'm with you Pauline!!! In my opinion if you haven't paid for something its not yours!!!
    I am the same, my children have never eaten something that hasnt been paid for prior to consumption, but I think on this thread we all have our opinions if its right or wrong and we have to all accept each others opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    I am the same, my children have never eaten something that hasnt been paid for prior to consumption, but I think on this thread we all have our opinions if its right or wrong and we have to all accept each others opinions
    I agree!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caz3007 View Post
    Definitely, it would be a boring old world if we all did the same and agreed on everything
    Pauline x

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=RainbowMum;1025492]
    Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    However, if it does not count as stealing until you leave the shop, how can they arrest burglars in people's houses? Surely by the same principle its not theft until they leave the house (or factory, or other building of choice).

A very confusing law in my opinion...

QUOTE]

An open shop is inviting you in to their premises - A locked house is not, the crime is breaking and entering, not at all related to this debate
    Totally!! Hundreds of people walk in and out of shops all day long! It's only stealing if they deliberately don't pay for goods.

Personally I don't invite 100s of people to go browsing my house ... If someone breaks into your house, even before touching anything, they have broken the law because they're not supposed to be there in the first place! Lol you can't compare the two at all!
    Typos-iPhone,NOT me!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ENOUGH!!

You'll all go and sit on the naughty step if you don't pack it in !

There you go you can all argue about the naughty step now !

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    ENOUGH!!

You'll all go and sit on the naughty step if you don't pack it in !

There you go you can all argue about the naughty step now !
    Ah but do you own that naughty step? If you haven't paid for it yet I'm not sure I can really sit on it
    Pauline x

Post Thanks / Like

Ah but do you own that naughty step? If you haven't paid for it yet I'm not sure I can really sit on it

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

So if you shouldn't eat food in a supermarket before paying for it, how do you square up restaurants or hotels you always pay afterwards in them

Oct 11.
    Latest Inspection Grade
    x Good x
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fi fi View Post
    So if you shouldn't eat food in a supermarket before paying for it, how do you square up restaurants or hotels you always pay afterwards in them
    If the restaurants policy is to serve before payment then that is THEIR POLICY, in a supermarket they don't take you order 'what can we offer you to have a good old munch on and leave crumbs and spillages on you way round the shop causing a health and saftey risk?'

Plus my issue is not doing it with your own children just that you should NOT be doing it with minded children!

Go on kick off about treating children different.

I am professional whilst I have other people's children will admit I threaten my children by telling them if they don't behave I will take things away and i take away their rights by sitting him on the naughty step and I am generally a bad mother because i use disposable nappy's, don't feed my son food that is only organic, and have plastic toys. and I am proud of it! I would also like to add should my son be brought home by police for mugging an old lady or anything i will quite happily chase him around the house with a slipper!
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously does nobody here eat a meal in a restaurant before paying for it? Theft is only when you actually leave the premises without having paid for something. Sounds like a lot of you need to lighten up, or maybe teach parenting courses since you're obviously so perfect you've never found yourself harassed in the supermarket near a meal time and needed to buy yourself some extra time to get round.

FWIW I don't generally give them food going round the supermarket but actually don;t care if other people do cos that's their business.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

OH MY GOD! This is getting sooooooooo stupid now I come on here most days and this poll is getting longer and longer but with the SAME comments...

Some of you give your kids food before paying, some of you dont... it is a matter of opinion... END OF!!!

Thank you, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and GOOD NIGHT!

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    OH MY GOD! This is getting sooooooooo stupid now I come on here most days and this poll is getting longer and longer but with the SAME comments...

Some of you give your kids food before paying, some of you dont... it is a matter of opinion... END OF!!!

Thank you, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and GOOD NIGHT!
    Merry Christmas to you to Emma, have a lovely week and relax.

And to the rest of you, as Emma has said, some do some don't and some of us seem to have really strong opinions on the 'other side'. I think people are getting quite upset and quite hurt by comments being posted and whilst it started as a good debate it's getting stale now and just a little bit venomous in places.

Before I cart myself off from this thread I'd like to say Peace and goodwill to all minders (including those who eat and shop! ), to all a merry Christmas and a very great holiday to those who have one. xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    I think people are getting quite upset and quite hurt by comments being posted and whilst it started as a good debate it's getting stale now and just a little bit venomous in places.
    Yes it is a shame it ended like that, it was a very good debate with no need for it to get personal or insulting.

Everyone has agreed to differ so time to have a lock down I think

Merry Christmas everyone
    Pauline x

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567